another question i forgot to ask

Moderator: Mods

Elivia

another question i forgot to ask

Post by Elivia »

So i know that once you have a ringneck its for life. And i have also read that if they are moved from one owner to another they can become depressed and may never recover. Has anyone had this happen to a rescued ringneck? BJ was from a mated pair. Is it possible he can become depressed from being away from his mated female? I just read in an older post that some ringnecks outgrow there mated mate. Well BJ was being beaten up by her constantly so thats why i got him in the first place. to give hime a nice new peacefull home. Could he become depressed from being away from his female mate even though it sounds like she did not want him any more? BJ is in his own cage next to my other ringneck cage in the lounge room (as this is where we spend most of our time after work). Any suggestions or comments on this one? Thanks
smallworld

Re: another question i forgot to ask

Post by smallworld »

I wouldnt worry about him being too attached to his previous mate. Its a common misunderstanding that ringnecks mate for life. That is not true of this species of parrot. Indian ringnecks do not pick out a mate for life. In their natural environment they move on to other mates over the course of their lives, so I'd say he is not going to be very depressed.

Yep the living room is always the best place for a new bird. :) Good luck
bec

Re: another question i forgot to ask

Post by bec »

i agree with small world there
if he was being treated that way by his mate i dont think he would miss her that much
if he actually did mate with her he may be a bit down or agressive as breeding season starts my male kieron was really down at the start of breeding season if he didnt have a mate but all other time fine in the company of our other birds
it is good that you are looking in to thois & asking questions before time it menas you will be watchful for signs of anything like this