SAVED RINGNECK!

Moderator: Mods

Elivia

SAVED RINGNECK!

Post by Elivia »

Hi guys,

Havnt been on here for a while. Well my first Ringneck, Bluey is almost a year old now! He has grown into a naughty (but loving) big personality and gorgeous bird! He is always testing his boundries and pushing my buttons and he knows the word No. Everytime i say no he goes back to what he doing (very cheekily) as if to spite me! Then he flies off and as soon as i walk away he goes straight back to what he was doing even though its a 'no' zone! Its so hard not love him though :P

Well the reason i am posting is that i have purchsed anoher ringneck. i got him from the markets a couple of weeks ago. Not at a bird stall though. the owners wanted to get rid of him as he was a mated paird with one of there other female ringnecks (he is a boy and been dna tested) and apparetly the pair just constantly fought with one another. He was so freaked out at the markets. The owner was even starting up a chainsaw (that the owner was trying to sell) right next to his cage and this poor bird was freaking out big time! The poor thing is missing a complete nail, has no tail and has scabs on the top of his head where his beak meets his forhead i guess. I could not walk away. especially with that chainsaw going off right next to his cage!

Anyway, i did not ask too many questions as i just wanted to get the poor bird away from the crowds and noise. He has had his wings clipped and he is just starting to get his flight back. he is scared if i put my hand in his cage to clean water or give food. He freaks out when he can hear crows and he tried to bite Bluey if he got to close to his cage. Stop go method doesnt work (but i am going to 'persist' more into that) so i am going to try the towel method. He does not talk (unlike bluey who does not seem to shut up with watcha doing, naughty bluey and hello poppet) but has a beautiful chirpy noise he makes when i guess when he is happy. my partner goes up to his cage and he fully freaks out and then once he walks away again he does his chirpy noise? Any ideas on why he does this? Also he seems to pace a fair bit in his cage and looks like he is getting ready for flight even though BJ (thats what we have called him) knows he cant escape his cage unless i let him out? Is there a possible reason also for this excessive pacing?

Sorry for this being so long. I hand reared bluey myself so having BJ at a much older age and being untame is quite new to me and am slowly getting used to the idea he is not my Bluey that i am used to :)
bec

Re: SAVED RINGNECK!

Post by bec »

hi
how lucky this bird is with you now
it will be a very slow process earning the trust of this poor taumatised bird
but with time consistancy & patience........ lots and lots of patience
the chirp chirp sound you said he makes as you husband walks away sounds like my trivi does when she cant see me she calls and i respond with a whistle or i say whats up trivi? and she settles
where is his cage in the house? is it somewhere you spend time doing things? other than paying all you attention to him palce him near where you read or what telly so he can observe you "undetected" and let him see you interact with your other bird
so he can see that when you touch him you wont hurt himlet him set the pace for now let hime come to you as much as possible
keep up with the stop start thing & talk to him while you do it & try to avoid looking him in the eye it can realy stress out a timid bird talk to him alot and treats....lots and lots of treats
keep us posted & good luck