new IRN coming next month!

Moderator: Mods

intog

new IRN coming next month!

Post by intog »

Hello All,

I didn't know whether to post in the introductions or another section, so please forgive me.

My name is Chris and I currently have a wonderful 9 month old dusky conure named Harper, 2 american green tree frogs and 3 australian white's tree frogs(my other obsession). I have been around parrots for over 15 years, but have never been around irns. I will be bringing home a hand fed IRN in about 3 to 4 weeks. He/she is only 5 weeks old right now. The baby I put a deposit down on DNA tested as a female and the breeder also has a male available.

So now I have questions...
I read through the FAQs and the myths about irns but I still have questions about any behavioral differences between male and females. Through my searches on the internet and youtube, it seems that the males are more active and vocal than the females. The females seem more affectionate. I know parrots are individuals but I was wondering if that was a somewhat accurate observation?

My conure is very quiet and cuddly, and I think I'm looking for another bird that is the opposite... loud and active. Should I see about making a switch to the male irn or do the females have the same potential for upsetting the peace and quiet in the house (in a good way)?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to sharing my upcomming experiences and pictures with everyone!
xx_sheena_xx

Re: new IRN coming next month!

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Hello and welcome :D

i have a female ringneck
she wasnt tame when i got her but shes slowly becoming more affecionate
she makes noise all day long, good noises though they are very cute and not very loud
she is also starting to talk

maybe see if you can interacte with both the babies to see which one you get along better with?
i dont think it will matter if you get a male or a female they both make terrific pets
intog

Post by intog »

Thank you for responding. Is it acceptable to repost my question in the Behavior section? That way it's more appropriate and may get a few more responses from other female IRN owners.

I handled the female last weekend and she is very sweet and wants to explore though her blue wing feathers just emerged and she has no balance yet. The male is a couple days younger than her.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

yeah i would post it there, just so you can get more input
are they both blues?
sometimes people help make their decission about which color they like best
intog

Post by intog »

Yup, they both turned out to be blue which is what I was looking for :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I do not have a preference personality wise with either sex.

Jasper, my first IRN handraised by me, is a sweet girl who I now have in the aviary with her 'husband' :lol: . She is still tame and flies on me whenever I enter the aviary and follows me around the aviary when I am working outside.

I also have another IRN that is almost 2 yrs old, again handraised by me. I am fairly confident this one is a female also just by the behaviour. 'She' is very sweet and friendly and I have taught her 3 tricks. I have a video link to her somewhere on the forum. But she doesn't talk and I have not tried to teach her.

Another female IRN raised by me went to my partners parents. She talks very well and says heaps of words and sentences.

My aviary but tame-ish male says a couple of words and will fly to me when I enter the aviary but I can't pet him or I get bitten. I have not really tried to push the point with him as he is an aviary bird.

So most of my experiences have been with girls. I didn't choose just all girls, they just all turned out to be girls. lol

Maybe spend time with both babies if you can and see which one is most bonding to you and you to him or her. Sometimes even if a particular sex if preferred, the one you want just doesn't 'click'.
effekt

Post by effekt »

Kinda hard to tell what their personality will be like when they are that young but from what I've seen, male and female IRNs seem to be very similar in temperament, so as Pinkdevil suggested, try spending time with each one and see which one you "click" the most with.

Good luck to you!
intog

Post by intog »

Thanks for the replies :) When the breeder is back in town next week I will visit the babies again and see which seems to be the best fit. Maybe she will let me feed them. Like I said, I have held the female and she is very sweet and calm.
effekt

Post by effekt »

They tend to be sweet and calm at that age, as they get older....who knows!

But my "sweet" IRN is still pretty sweet and calm, although she has taken to nipping at me when she's grumpy. I'm hoping its a phase ;)
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family darlin,

I moved your post for you to the behaviour and taming area

If you are going for a handraised baby IRN you will not know which are male and which are female. I suggest the same as the others, spend time with the babies and there will be one that just seems to pick you, look towards you, try to come to you, chirp at you alot, there will be something. All of our birds were picked that way and we have the most amazing bunch of birds, from the IRN down to the budgies.

Good luck and keep us posted on how its going
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

intog

Post by intog »

The male has been reserved and the breeder talked to an experienced breeder of IRNs and told me that it depends on how they are socialized and handled. I'm still taking the female :) I'm just really curious... I've seen several videos on Youtube with male IRNs being very interactive and talking to other birds but can't find a example of a female doing that. Is this because there aren't as many females as pets? or is this a male trait?

I will socializing her with the rest of the flock. I also have a baby handfed blue masked love bird joining us next week. The only problem I see right now is with Harper (my 9mo. old Dusky Conure from the pet store) he/she is very attached to me and is also agressive towards other birds (real and digital). If Sammy (my budgie) is with me Harper immediately insists on coming over and trying to chase little Sammy away. I would love to have all of them together with me interacting positively with each other.
effekt

Post by effekt »

I have heard rumors about male IRNs being more friendly and talkative than females but I've always heard people respond that it isn't at all true.

I don't think the females are any different from the males, so I wouldn't worry :)

Sammy - what a cute budgie name!
intog

Post by intog »

Oh, I forgot to incude some pictures!

This is Sammy and Harper. It looks like they are good buddies, but this was a RARE moment. They have both claimed the big cage and the smaller one that was meant for Sammy remains vacant.

This is Pogo, our baby lovebird. He will be with us next week and will be in Sammies old home since it's gathering dust now.
I'm told he's very energetic and silly.

And this is our baby girl IRN!
effekt

Post by effekt »

wonderful wonderful pictures!!!