Please Tell me is it a breakthrough?

Moderator: Mods

redringbiter

Please Tell me is it a breakthrough?

Post by redringbiter »

Today, during training session or “me chasing him around :) ” I was able to get my IRN (Sneaky) to step up on a perch and I thought let me place him on my leg. When I did, he just sat there enjoying himself and didn’t want to get down. Even though I am still not able to hand feed him nor remotely touch him without him running away; but for some reason he was pretty calm sitting on my leg. During that time I continued reading a book while he was up there. But as soon as I reached out for him he went down. Now, Please tell me that this is a breakthrough. Or am I just delusional :) . I mean I thought the only reason he stayed up there was because he trusts me. But than why doesn’t he like me feeding him?
xx_sheena_xx

Re: Please Tell me is it a breakthrough?

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

sounds like your slowly gaining his trust
some birds never like being patted or being fed but most will like company
mine lets me pick her up, sits on me and near me and lets me talk to her and kiss her but if i try to pat her or make her step up onto my hand she will bite me
she is slowly gaining my trust and your will to but you have to be patient
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Ok ready?? I'm gonna say it:

BREAKTHROUGH!!

congratulations :D
redringbiter

Post by redringbiter »

Thank you for the replies guys :D
Sheena how long did you have your IRN for? I wish me and my IRN were like that He's just started to come around though. I had mine for three weeks now... the only thing is I'm not sure how old he is. He has hte ring with black and orange around his neck.... his color is mostly green, his head is somewhat baby blue and the bottom of his tail is yellow... I'm not sure if he's 10 yrs or 3 yrs old. Is there any way you can tell?
redringbiter

Post by redringbiter »

smallworld you don't know how good it feels to hear those words lol
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Thought so too :D Its quite good progress in a short time. Means 2 things: he's used to people, you're doing a good job or both :wink:

About the age, its hard to tell once they get their rings. If its before, you've a safe estimate of under 3 years. Do you have a picture of him?

He could be even more than 10 years, as IRNs can live quite long if kept very well. What did the person you bought him from say? Thats probably your best bet at a ballpark idea.
redringbiter

Post by redringbiter »

Yes I have some pics... I'll upload them shortly
Well the person I bought him from doesn't really since he neglected the bird. Plus I'm currently deployed in Iraq so it’s an Iraqi bird so to speak :)

I don't think he’s over 10 years since he's pretty active. The only major problem I have with him now is him not making any noise... I mean he's a mute. Even when I'm not there and I sneak back to the room and wait to see if he makes any noise. There's nothing. So I'm thinking he’s still getting used to the new place or has been sleep deprived and needs time to settle in.

Thanks again smallworld
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i have had my ringneck for 5 months now
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

ive had mine a few weeks now. ive discussed the progress in a different post, but havent really made any in the last 2 odd weeks. im starting to feel ive done something wrong.