almost a week

Moderator: Mods

Jebediah

almost a week

Post by Jebediah »

hey guys and gals, got my lovely birdman on saturday and so far hes been very scared of us and silent, but today hes been chirping like a mentalist, which im hoping is a sign hes becoming more comfortable with his environment.

couple of things tho, at the moment he seems to be trying to eat his way out of the cage, hes either doing that or trying to grind his beak down a little bit.

and also hes still very frightened of us when we go near him, he run/flies to the other side of the cage, is there a way thats good to make him a bit more at ease when humans are close to him?

other than that hes a wonderfully odd little chap :D
julie

Re: almost a week

Post by julie »

Try to put his cage where the family is relaxing, if he can get used to you guys when you are just chilling he should get to know that you arent just coming at him all the time. Also eat in front of him or near him but ignore what he is doing and pretend he isnt there.
effekt

Post by effekt »

Its so funny.....there's something about eating in front of a bird that makes even the most anti-social bird so curious that they forget they don't like people!

One of my IRNs is like that....he's only 3 months old but hates being handled and runs away. Sometimes he lets me scratch his head for a few moments but I can tell he's thinking "okay lets get this over with".

Keep us posted on your bird's progress!
Melika

Post by Melika »

You can also cover his cage so only the front is open, and gradually expose another side until it's uncovered entirely. It might give him a sense of security in his new place. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jebediah

Post by Jebediah »

so, we have had him a week and i decided the time was right to let him out for a bit of exercise, unfortunatly he sees the front room as a bigger cage and has gotten as far away from us as he can lol. any one know of anyways to entice him towards us? dont worry i know it takes a lot of time, just wondering about some of the techniques that people think are best
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

im new to this myself, but food seems to be the trick. If my lil one gets out and doesnt want to go back in, i just leave him for a short while. if you're worried about them pooing, you can make a few lil perches around the room, with a catch tray underneath.

they tend to view their cages as a point of familiarity and safety. and also know that there is food there, so generally he should go back to there after a while. they get hungry! but leaving them to their own devices (in a controlled area) can help him adjust, and also if youre just sitting reading a book or relaxing and not chasing him around the room, good chance is that he'll adjust to you.

i dont know what kind of cage you have, but most seem to have open tops. Ibuild a branch that i put across the top when i open it, so he can go up there. Hes not restricted to the cage, but he normally likes to stay close to it.

good luck!
effekt

Post by effekt »

I let my anti-social Ringneck out all the time, he wanders around and the way I get him to come out or go back in his cage is put the food where I want him to go. Works every time! :mrgreen: