Any advice on how to stop the squawking?

Moderator: Mods

ChesterPickle

Any advice on how to stop the squawking?

Post by ChesterPickle »

Hi everyone,

One of my birds has recently started squawking a lot more and more frequent than he/she used to. It has also become so much louder than before.. Sometimes I feel like my eardrums are going to pop. He/She is 1 1/2 years old. Started squawking 2 weeks ago. None of his/her surroundings have drastically changed or anything to make him/her upset or scared... He/she lives together with my other ringneck. But they have been for as long as I've had them. They are out of the cage ALOT! and it seems to me that he/she squawks when he/she wants to come out.... oh and also when he does his little dominant dance thing.. I hope hell just grow out of it??? Please help.. Or just some advice would be much appreciated

smallworld

Re: Any advice on how to stop the squawking?

Post by smallworld »

Let me guess..its the aviary one right? Does he usually do this in the morning? Echo did it in the morning at about 5 or 6 am. So what I did was I covered his cage for 2 weeks and then suddenly he stopped.

Well what you can do when he does that, is return him to his cage and cover him. When he calms down, remove the covers. See how that works for you. If it does, he should eventually get the hang of it, when he screams, he's gonna be ignored. Its a tough love but its got to be done sometimes :)
ChesterPickle

Post by ChesterPickle »

Haha, yes you guessed right! Ok I'll give it a try, It's so hard to ignore him.. Thanks so much.
Oh and I noticed My lutino regurgitating for the past few days and feeding the aviary...
I'm not a breeder.. so I'm not 100% sure what it means...?
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

You mean he's making those neck and head movements, that makes him look like he's regurgitating? Just make sure he is not regurgitating all his food out everytime. If they just do those movements, it sometimes can be regarded as courting actions. When a bird pairs up with its mate, he doesnt give her a diamond ring on a bent knee but his pre-digested food with an arched neck :wink: So males tend to do that sometimes even without females around. Probably practice or a sign of maturity, I dont really know.

We had a bird constantly doing that and we asked the vet to be sure, but he told us not to worry unless food actually comes out everytime. Because then, he will be getting under nourished.
ChesterPickle

Post by ChesterPickle »

Yeah hes done it twice now. I'm so confused. I thought Chester was a Hen.. but if hes regurgitating he must be a boy...? Oh well. How many birds do you have?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

My hen regurgitated on me.
ChesterPickle

Post by ChesterPickle »

oh!! oh my gosh. these little ringnecks are so hard to figure out!
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Haha yeah they're kinda hard to figure out at first. You'll get the hang of it though. As for IRNs, we currently have only Echo. I took an aviary bird as a challenge but I really love the lil fellar.

I wasnt really a bird person myself but it started out by buying a lovebird for my wife on her birthday. I like dogs and animals that have more human contact but now I'm into birds too. I'd have to say I'm more into Echo than any of our other birds. I always wanted an IRN, from the time I bought my wife a bird.

My first episode of regurgitation was from a lovebird. He regurgitated onto my plate while sitting in front of me, on top of the monitor. I was pretty disgusted but thank God I was almost done eating.

Oh birds..funny little things.
effekt

Post by effekt »

That's great advice, Smallworld, about covering the cage to curb the squawking. In addition to the other handicap IRN, I also brought home (on a trial basis) an 8 year old Goffins cockatoo. She gets so loud, it makes me jump sometimes, and a lot of it is an attention thing. She sits on her cage and if I'm not paying attention she goes berserk.

Very very sweet bird though, she never bites and she'll sit on my lap and cuddle for hours. She just loves people and attention.

I've been at my wits end trying to figure out how to calm her down, as I live in an apartment and if anyone complains of the noise I won't be able to keep her. Fortunately the bird shop is giving me a month to see how she does.

I'm definitely going to try putting her back and covering her cage if she gets loud!