Someone please help me with my indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

redringbiter

Someone please help me with my indian ringneck

Post by redringbiter »

Hello...
Ohh... where should I start, I am currently deployed somewhere in the Middle East and I got me an IRN to keep me company. I think that this bird has been brutally abused and neglected. I've had it for a week now and it does not make and noise at all, not evens a cough. It eats and Sh*** pretty normal though. It does not eat from my hand whenever I get close it runs away. The only thing I was able to make it do is get on a perch, "a very long perch" and I was holding the perch. What should I do please help. I know I'm being impatient, but I tried searching online and never really found a good method to tame him or get him to become friendly.

Thank you
julie

Re: Someone please help me with my indian ringneck

Post by julie »

Hi Redringbiter. allthough its not the best place in the world to be, some tips to try to get the bird a bit used to you.this may or may not be possible in your current situation, but try to improvise and find an alternative if you can. Are you going to be able to take your new friend home with you when you leave?

Put the cage in a room that you watch tv ect-idea is to let the bird see you relaxing and it can observe you.
Eat where it can also observe you doing it-they are pretty food driven when they get comfortable being there.
Talk to him/her- just talk like you would to a person.
Let him/her get used to the cage for a bit before you let it out- couple of days.
Tell the bird what you are doing- you want the bird to know when your hand is coming its not to hurt it, if you want to scratch it or pat it say something like scratch scratch before you do it, if you want to get him to step up say step up as you put your hand out to him.
redringbiter

Post by redringbiter »

Julie,
Thank you so much for the tips. Well I didn't really go out and buy him, I'm rescuing him from its previous owner. I believe I can take it back with me to the states when I leave If I was able to tame him in time. He just looks so sad and depressed that I figured I can help him. I bought it different toys and food online that should be coming here soon. I also tried the towel method where I wrapped him in a towel and held him close. I was able to pat it and feed it from my hand and he stayed quiet. But as soon as I unwrapped him, he runs away from me. He's been in my room next to me bed since I got him. I split everything I with him like an apple, pear, or seeds.. but he only eats in his cage. You made it sound like its helpless to save him because of my situation and I hope that would not be true in his case. Well anyways I'll keep you posted if there was any development.... Thanks again for the tips. Take care
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Dont worry the depression usually wears off once they get used to the place. He might be scared of his new toys at first too.

Well, I just hope you're sure you can take him home to the States. Otherwise its alot of stress for him, to get used to you and then be shipped off to a new home, when you leave.

Actually this section can provide you with alot of the details you're looking for. Try the step-up with a stick. If he is used to people, it should work pretty fast. I'm surprised that he took food from you while in the towel and didnt bite your finger off. Good sign ;) He is getting used to you and fast.

If you think you're being impatient, then take it easy. Birds work at their own time. The towel method is actually a faster way of taming than the usual method, in my opinion. So dont force him to interact too much. If its not too much of a hazard, leave the radio on, when you're off at work. Will keep him occupied. The tv is alright too.

You're on the right forum to learn about ringnecks :) So best of luck!
julie

Post by julie »

sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, i meant not the best place for you or the bird to be at the moment.The bird would still be there if you didnt save him. and I asked if you could take him home because you will most likely get pretty attached to him.

keep in mind some birds dont like to play with toys so he may not take to them but hopefully he will.