Always squaking for me!

Moderator: Mods

kyleeandlilly

Always squaking for me!

Post by kyleeandlilly »

Hey, i have a 1 1/2 yr old ringneck who has started to squak whenever i leave the room or house ?
smallworld

Re: Always squaking for me!

Post by smallworld »

More info please.

When did you get her/him? How old was it when you had it? When did this behavior start? Who spends most of their time with the bird? How much playtime outside the cage does it get? etc etc.

Just based on the info you gave, I'd say : the birds calling out to you and doesnt want you to leave. But it could be alot more than just that.
kyleeandlilly

Post by kyleeandlilly »

smallworld wrote:More info please.

When did you get her/him? How old was it when you had it? When did this behavior start? Who spends most of their time with the bird? How much playtime outside the cage does it get? etc etc.

Just based on the info you gave, I'd say : the birds calling out to you and doesnt want you to leave. But it could be alot more than just that.

i got her when she was 3months old have had her for just more than 1 year, she gets time out of her cage every day for about 6 hours, i spend most time with her as she only wants me and will squalk whenever i leave the room even if someone is still with her, or if im on the phone and will continue to do so until im back,she started to do this about a month age,
she makes me feel very bad when i leave!
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hi,
I would say, it could be something called imprinting but thats not so likely considering her age when she came to you. However, if she was a hand reared bird and recognized a human to be her mom, it could be the case with you. Although again its not common because she was 3 months old when you got her. Here's a link about imprinting:
http://audubonportland.org/sanctuaries/ ... imprinting

It might be that she has developed an early bond to you. If you want to discourage this behaviour, in my opinion, would be to get someone else in your home to spend time with her as well. Also 'ignore' her calls for you and show no reaction at all. Have someone else react to her when she is calmer. This is normal for birds, as their parents do that. IRNs do not mate for life, so in my opinion, it cant be a bond with a mate.

A less stressful way which has about a 50% chance of working, would be to get another IRN. But there are chances, they could disagree or she would pay the other bird no attention at all. Worst case scenario, they'll end up fighting. I understand, how you feel when you have to leave but I think, ignoring her would probably be the way to go, at least until she has stopped calling out for you, even when you're on the phone. Thats just my opinion.

The positive side to your relationship, is that you've been an amazing keeper and your bird loves and adores you to bits :)

I'm a little stressed for time, so I'll get back to you, if something else pops into mind.