parrot keeps landing on head

Moderator: Mods

Grumpy Ringneck

parrot keeps landing on head

Post by Grumpy Ringneck »

parrot started to fly about three weeks ago. is there a way to stop him from landing on my head or to get him to land on certain surfaces?
can he be taught to fly back to me?
smallworld

Re: parrot keeps landing on head

Post by smallworld »

Answer to all 3 questions is yes. When you dont want him to land on your head, you should probably just return him to his perch, when he does and then turn away without saying anything. In other words ignore and discourage the behavior. This will take time but they get the hang of it.

About landing on certain surfaces, I have thought our birds that lights are a 'no no'. What we did was everytime they landed there, we'd just say ah ah ( or however you make that sound, which implies no) and then put them on a place they can land and give them a seed. That stopped the landing on the lights behaviour. However they do try to get up there, especially if they want attention.

About flying back to you, there is a technique called recall. I'm sure you will turn up alot of search results if you google that. It is basically used for outdoor, when you take your bird flying outside and then have him comeback to you. However the initial steps in recall can be used to get a bird to fly to you. The first step, in my opinion is to get him to fly to his cage by throwing/urging him in that direction and rewarding him. You should use a command. Then do the same thing to fly the bird back to you or from one person to another. You could use say 'come here'. The reward should be given everytime he comes. Again, this takes time but not that long. Sometimes our birds are too lazy to fly and when we say come here, they run along the floor to us. Sort of like having dogs haha :lol: