IRN disposition?

Moderator: Mods

krystal

IRN disposition?

Post by krystal »

so, i dont have an IRN yet, but i've been reading a LOT about them. i've gotten different things from different websites though, this quote i got from birdtricks.com

"These birds are fiercely independent, often rejecting the hand that feeds them. They prefer to stay on their perch playing than to be handled by humans."

is this true?

also im wondering if the rose-ringed parakeet is the same thing as an IRN.
effekt

Re: IRN disposition?

Post by effekt »

I would say that quote is not very accurate, from everything I've seen and read. Each bird is different though, so there is plenty of variation.

Often the bluffing stage can put owners off, thinking they'll never grow out of it. How you handle them during that stage can relate to their behavior later on, so be sure to spend plenty of time with your bird and be patient, and I'm sure they'll reward you with plenty of love.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Naahh thats very rare. I think only one of my friends has such an IRN but thats because she had many homes and alot of ill treatment.

I'd say that quote is pretty off. Although birds are very individual, alot of what your birds personality will turn out to be, will develop from what he/she has experienced. So its more in the hands of the keeper, in my opinion :)
krystal

Post by krystal »

ok thats good, so they aren't stubborn much? and are they the same as rose-ringed parakeets?
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hi krystal,

Yes they're stubborn. Pretty stubborn but if I compare them to fischer's lovebirds (dont know if you had them), they're about the same. I said fischer's because in my opinion peach faced lovebirds tame much easier. They can have very individual characters and hand raised birds show less hard 'headedness' :lol: but on a whole, I'd say stubborn is in their genetics.

To my knowledge, rose-ringed parakeets is a common term to describe all ringnecks. The difference is, there are 4 different subspecies, the IRN being one of the 4. I dont remember the latin names for all but for the IRN its Psittacula krameri manillensis. The last part of that name is what specifies the IRN.
krystal

Post by krystal »

ok ya i was reading more on here and read that they were stubborn. i've never had a lovebird, but i have budgie right now, and i've had 2 other budgies. how do they compare?
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Haha if I was to compare the IRN I have to the budgies we used to have I'd say the budgies are like mommy's boys :lol: I think budgies are not stubborn at all, compared to IRNs. Our budgies didnt step up at first because they were afraid to step up but not because they didnt want to. Get what I mean? Its the same with Echo too right now. If he doesnt want to step up, he would just grab your finger and push it away. Sometimes we give in, other times we persist. But you know each bird has its own personality too, so its hard to say.

I'd say the IRNs are for people who have strong personalities too. I mean they're stubborn and they require time and patience. Some people would just give up and say that its just not working or something. But it works in the end, just takes a long time and alot of understanding. :)
BigChicken

Post by BigChicken »

It's great that your researching the breeds personalities, most people I think don't understand that parrots have more personality than any dog or other pet I can think of! Can you say that a cat has a sense of humor? I don't think so, but parrots? You bet! I think that you can't be afraid of a little love nip once in a while with an IRN, mostly just to get their balance when stepping up, or to show you that they don't want to do something at the moment! I agree, if you like lots of personality, an IRN is a good fit for you. Some love to get a scratch, some don't, but even the ones that do, it's on their terms! Our IRN is very independent, but also affectionate.