Young male behavior

Moderator: Mods

DivineDomain

Young male behavior

Post by DivineDomain »

Now I am pretty sure that this is a male! He doesn't have his ring yet, but my Grandmother assured me that he is a male when I picked him up. Before I put the nestbox on them they were all calm and cool, the young green male was talking to the female and even grooming her!
I was trying to figure out who I was going to pair off once I put the nest box on, and then him and the female started fighting over it and the Grey male was singing and refereeing during it lol. I thought it would be the males fighting over the female but its the young male fighting the female over the nestbox. The only reason I had him in the cage with the other two is because he was going crazy trying to get in with the others and they acted like they wanted him to move in. I have now separated him. I was thinking of getting him his own nest box since he wants one so bad. Right now he's climbing up and down his cage when he sees them enjoying their nestbox. He seems so lonely now. I should get him a boyfriend jk lol, I don't want him to be stressed. What can I do for him?
dog_glenn123

Re: Young male behavior

Post by dog_glenn123 »

I would take the nest box out then put him back in.
They dont need a nest box to pair up, you can usually tell when they have paired up because they sleep next to each other on the perch's.
Once they have established pairs you should take the odd one back out.
The female will most likley try and kill him.
Once they have paired up and you take the odd bird out of the cage put the nest box back in.
They wont breed until the season is right anyway.

If your grandmother didnt get it DNA tested and he has'nt got a ring yet and he/she is under 3 years old it could be a boy or a girl.

Fighting over the nest box is most likely a territory fight you get the box you get the cage. :lol:
DivineDomain

Post by DivineDomain »

Well our "young male" is a young female lol :oops: So it makes sense the females were fighting over the nest box.
I took her to a breeder and he said if you feel by the pelvic area, a bone and then a space and then another bone then its a female. Is that true?
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

I dont think thats true as the only way beside DNA is the ring to sex an indian ringneck.

Do you know what its parents where? Colour wise maybe able to sex colour the bird.
Melika

Post by Melika »

DivineDomain wrote:Well our "young male" is a young female lol :oops: So it makes sense the females were fighting over the nest box.
I took her to a breeder and he said if you feel by the pelvic area, a bone and then a space and then another bone then its a female. Is that true?
It's not 100% accurate but I know some breeders who were very rarely wrong using that method.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay