my IRN is so quite .. :S

Moderator: Mods

Omran

my IRN is so quite .. :S

Post by Omran »

I got my first IRN few days ago :D. as the dealer told me, he is about 7 months old and well trained. he stands on my finger and eats from my hand. but he seems so quite.. aren't they suppose to be noisy? and how can i know his age? i'm not sure if the dealer is saying the truth about his age :P

i uploaded some pictures of him:
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4825/pic1vou.jpg
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3613/pic2r.jpg
smallworld

Re: my IRN is so quite .. :S

Post by smallworld »

Hello there!

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but I highly doubt that he is even close to 7 months old. That bird has gone through or is going through his 1st moult which should happen at 1 year of age. That is the very least. Why? He has a ring formation, which normally does not occur until the 2nd year of age. But who knows, it maybe possible that it does happen at the age of 1, though I personally do not know any bird. However, it is theoretically possible. So if I was to guess the age of your bird, I'd say anywhere between 1 to 3 years of age.

Nevertheless, he is cute and since he gets along so well with you, keep him, if you dont mind his age.

About the quiet, its possible that he is adapting to his new environment. Some birds tend to do loud calls for the flock. However at his age and with his amount of people exposure, I'm guessing, he is just studying you and his surroundings. Give it awhile, when he starts to scream as to why breakfast is late, I'm sure you'll freak out :wink:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi there, yep your bird must be around 2 - 3 years of age or older! :wink: He reminds me of my 9 year old male! My boy is quiet too, but always has been. Some birds are just quieter than others. Although, I wouldnt make any hasty assumptions on your boys personality, you havnt had him long and hes just adjusting to the new life. One day soon, you may wake up to find, he is demanding his breakfast and all your attention! LOL.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Omran

Post by Omran »

hey!
thanks guys for replying. i really appreciate it :)
i knew there was something weird about that dealer :!:

now, if i kept him with me, will he learn to do tricks and try to talk?
or is it hard for him at this age?
and if i bought another one, how old should it be?
because i heard that the younger he is the fastest he learns.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

The birds capacity to learn largely depends on the interaction time, attention and love it has with its owner. Thats my opinion. Its not too old to learn tricks. Talking depends on how much its interested in to do so. Even Greys never pick it up sometimes.

I hope you're not buying a bird for the sole purpose of training and talking. That usually doesnt end up the way the owner wants it.
Omran

Post by Omran »

thank you so much :)
you've been a great help :)
I think I'm gana keep him ..
he jumped on me today looking for food ..
hehehe ..
:D
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

No problem. I'm happy you decided to keep him. If you read through this forum, you can see all the problems people have with new birds. But your bird is so relaxed and playful with you. You're lucky :D