Help please anyone, really need it

Moderator: Mods

kittenuk99

Help please anyone, really need it

Post by kittenuk99 »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have 2 Indian ring necks, one boy one girl, a month ago they were in a fight i had to take the boy to the vet, but now they always fights, she wants to fight with him so i split them into 2 different cages and when i do that the scream the house down to be with each other and they fight when there together its becoming a bit stressful at nights with them, and also lately she doesn't stop chirping/screaming. Any suggestion what i can do to stop this???

Many thanks
Joanie

Re: Help please anyone, really need it

Post by Joanie »

sorry you're having such a difficult situation on your hands. i am fairly new with these birds so i have no advice. hopefully someone will have some ideas for you.
i have had my 2 since january in the same cage and so far so good. i am very thankfull for that.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Poor little boy. :( The girls can get quite nasty when they want to.

How big is the cage that housed the both of them? Depending on the size, it could be too small for an agro hen, no where for the male to escape her nastiness.
Did anything happen to trigger the hens attack on the male, something stressful, change of diet, moved cage, etc?

How old are the birds?
Are they tame birds? Do you allow them time out of the cage? If so, what is her reaction to the male when they are out of the cage together?

As the male was injured from the attack, he could be showing fear towards the hen, making her feel even more dominant.

As for the hen screaming, maybe she is giving the male an ear bashing!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

There have been people who have had noisy bird problems, if you do a search, you may find a few tips that are helpful. :)
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

When you separate them in 2 cages, are they in the same room? Could be that they scream to call out to one another. You did the right thing with separating them because I've seen instances with parrots, that when the owner comes home to a dead male (most of the time). If she doesnt like her cage buddy, she might take the snapping just a lil bit too far! I've really heard alot about stuff like that.
Does she scream all day? or is it a specific time?
kittenuk99

Post by kittenuk99 »

The boy (Baldy) is 6 years old and the girl (Bluey) is 4 years old. I've never had any problems with them right up till now. Yeah there very tame birds they love the hair dryer when they take a bath, they turn a wee bit mad lol. I let them out the cage together sometimes out separate to get away from each other for a bit, all they do when there out together is they try and mate and he feeds her. There fine during the day beside her screeming, sometimes they'll fight but at night thats when it all kicks off with the fighting, and if they stay in the same cage at night after settling down they sleep beside each other. The cage is a good size attached a pic of the kind of cage i have. Nothing could have trigger them to fight, nothing has changed in the cage. When i do separate them i keep them in the same room together I've tried putting them into different rooms but they both start screaming for each other, no winning here lol. They use to be a brilliant pair he used to feed her all the time and do wee mating dances with her

kittenuk99

Post by kittenuk99 »

anyone have any ideas??
bec

Post by bec »

hmmm sounds like hes in a loving mood & she isnt!!!!
maybe you should try keeping them in seperate cages till breeding season
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

The funny thing about indian ringnecks is that they're one of the very few parrot species that dont mate for life. This is good for us humans as they dont tend to bond too strongly to one particular person in the family. The result is a more social bird.

The bad part is they've a natural instinct to change mates. So maybe, your birds are just bored of each other and are interested in 'greener pastures'. Could be, who knows whats running through their heads :lol: They're also flock birds and not big on being loners so maybe thats why they call out for each other when separated. In a typical hollywood cliche 'they could use a little space from each other' perhaps. :)