IRN going a bit skittish

Moderator: Mods

Shane7285

IRN going a bit skittish

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Everyone

I have question for you regarding Nemo. I have trouble getting him to step up while he is in his cage or at the door of his cage. This has only started happening recently. If he ends up on the floor, or is on my shoulder I can pick him up no worries. I have even tried letting him come to the door of his cage and sit there, then try to pick him up, but he runs back inside and right to the top corner of his cage. I don't chase him with my hand either when he does this, I will leave him and come back later to try again.

Also, he doesn't let me scratch him anymore like he used to, I would always be able to scratch him under the beak area, and he would tilt his head back.

Can anyone think of why he would be doing this, and also, what can I do to stop this from happening. If it helps he is about 6 months old.

Regards

Shane Wildman
smallworld

Re: IRN going a bit skittish

Post by smallworld »

Sometimes they do that. They get territorial about their cage and they dont like your hand in there. But if his attitude towards you is changing, it could be he is goiong through that 'biting phase'. Its obvious that how you handle a bird during this phase, plays a big role in how he will react to you. However, other than suggestions on this and that, nobody can be 100% certain how to handle him. What most people say is you got to be firm but kind. You have to keep up what you're doing and give him his space too. But you should not give in to him too much then he becomes boss. My opinion is, most of the time the owner of the bird is already doing the right thing :wink: That is of course, if you're not shouting at him etc etc.

But other reasons for a change in character can be due to a change in daily routine or maybe someone else is interacting with him, or even because you moved the cage. I know that somebody's bird started attacking their 'bonded human', so to say, because they let their parents who were visiting on the weekend touch it. Thats weird though...but yeah these things happen.

What you can do is talk to him, ask him whats wrong and give him some treats but dont do this while he is attacking you. You'd only reinforce the behaviour.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi

He isn't cage aggressive, he runs away, so he is more scared. I got him out this morning, I used something he couldn't resist (sunflower seeds) as he only gets them as a treat.

I have been reading a lot about positive reinforcement, so I know all about that, and it had been working so far.

Regards

Shane
Melika

Post by Melika »

Shane7285 wrote:Hi

He isn't cage aggressive, he runs away, so he is more scared. I got him out this morning, I used something he couldn't resist (sunflower seeds) as he only gets them as a treat.

I have been reading a lot about positive reinforcement, so I know all about that, and it had been working so far.

Regards

Shane
Hane does this sometimes too. There's no point in chasing him since I'm too short to reach the top of his cage anyway! The best way to get him down is always a lure of food or I start talking with him and then he wants to be close to me when he gets talking. Otherwise he's perfectly happy where he is, playing around on the top of his cage. I tend not to let him exit his cage by himself because of this. I have a perch near the door that is his "out" perch and reach in to get him. If he runs away from that perch, I know he doesn't feel like coming out and I go away and try again later.

I don't require him to be out with me at set times or even daily. Sometimes he doesn't want to come out all day, other days he is out all day or parts of it. If he's moody I just let him be and the next day he's usually sunny again. But all this developed over time. When he was younger I made him come out since I didn't want him ending up 'cage bound' and I think that paid off- we have a nice balance now.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay