Please note, there is not longer instant registration. All new users will need to request membership by registering first. Once registered, I'll contact you with further details to be approved. Spammers have hindered our wonderful little community here, for this reason, I had to remove instant membership access until the problem can be solved. Best wishes, IMRAN-C

Restless behavior

Moderator: Mods

Maribel

Restless behavior

Post by Maribel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 am

Hello everyone, I have a 9 months old male Indian ringneck that just won't stop walking on his bench from left to right which somewhat makes me nervous

I got him home around month ago, he was with his brothers and sisters in pretty good care so I can't say that he was abused or stressed somewhere. At first I thought he would need time to get used to his new home, but almost a month has passed and he just does the same thing all day long - Walks from left to right, sometimes screaming. I changed his cage several times, as he would ignore all the toys/pretty much everything in it and just tear them down and never touch them afterwards, thought it might be something with the cage - with no avail

Has anyone run into the same problem? Might he be in the bluffing stage and that was the reason? I honestly have no idea what would make him do that, I give him the best food with additional fruits and vegetables and he does eat them right away, but when he finishes them he just continues that behavior. Whats worse, I can't get near as he is too scared - even when I tried several times giving him carrots that he likes so much.

ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Restless behavior

Post by ringneck » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Welcome.

I don't think the bird is nervous, rather he is not tame. That being said, the bird needs to be tamed -- how you approach this is totally up to you. I recommend a positive reinforcement program, but there are other ways to tame as well. Do a search on the other methods our members have used.

Also, I might add that the pacing might be something called sterotypy. Look it up, as I think it might point you in the right direction.

My recommendation? If you want the bird tame, start taming it. Taming will open the path way to more interaction; thus, enriching its life. If you feel you cannot tame the bird, it's best to get it a mate.

Best wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C

Maribel

Post by Maribel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 am

Thank you very much for the reply.

I tried approaching him several times, but he just starts flying crazy even hitting the cage. I get worried every time he does that, fearing he might do some damage to himself so I back up eventually. Today and yesterday he's been screaming all day long non-stop :-s Even when I sat somewhat close to him he just freezes and continues screaming after I leave.

Can you recommend how I should start the taming process? I've read on some places that you should start with giving him some food from your hand and honestly I did try that several times, but I just sat there for almost half an hour and he was just eying me from the furthest corner, not even moving a an inch

I had several budgies and a corella before that were very problematic to tame, but they were not this scared at the very least. I am kind of out of idea how to start as he just gets crazy every time something moves or gets close

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:42 am

Thank you for your post, l think you need to let him settle down and get to know him slowly keep the cage door closed he will feel safer and try eating your meals next to the cage, talk to him use his name l would say do not introduce to many toys at this stage, let him feel comfortable with you sometime this walking back and forth might be he is worried about his new surroundings make sure he get 12 to 14 hours uninterrupted sleep, try and establish a routine, his walking should stop as he gets used to his surroundings, my bird Billie sometimes gets agitated and walk up and down l reassure her with words.

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 am

How big is his cage?, because my bird did this before I got a bigger cage and it stopped immediately, dogs kept in small runs pace, also zoo animals in small enclosures. Please do not try handling your bird just yet, you need to sit next to the cage, talk and sing to him, eat your food next to him, and offer a walnut half through the bars. Another thing I did, and still do is called "chuffing" which is gently breathing on to him, around his head area,.birds bond by chuffing, rather like horses do. So, when he comes up to the bars, gently blow and breathe on him. Just have patience, it all takes time, and it's baby steps.

Maribel

Post by Maribel » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:36 am

AJPeter wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:42 am
Thank you for your post, l think you need to let him settle down and get to know him slowly keep the cage door closed he will feel safer and try eating your meals next to the cage, talk to him use his name l would say do not introduce to many toys at this stage, let him feel comfortable with you sometime this walking back and forth might be he is worried about his new surroundings make sure he get 12 to 14 hours uninterrupted sleep, try and establish a routine, his walking should stop as he gets used to his surroundings, my bird Billie sometimes gets agitated and walk up and down l reassure her with words.
Thank you for the information. I try sitting with him every day (not too close of course) but he just ignores me after a while and continues walking or screaming and its impossible to get close when he is screaming as his voice is quite powerful :lol: I thought a month wouldve been enough for him to get used to his new place as we did not bother him all this time. Do you think it will take more time for him to get used to? I do make sure he sleeps at least 10-11 hours and he seems to be eating normally
sanjays mummi wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 am
How big is his cage?, because my bird did this before I got a bigger cage and it stopped immediately, dogs kept in small runs pace, also zoo animals in small enclosures. Please do not try handling your bird just yet, you need to sit next to the cage, talk and sing to him, eat your food next to him, and offer a walnut half through the bars. Another thing I did, and still do is called "chuffing" which is gently breathing on to him, around his head area,.birds bond by chuffing, rather like horses do. So, when he comes up to the bars, gently blow and breathe on him. Just have patience, it all takes time, and it's baby steps.
Its identical to https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2422/ ... 1519869905 this one, only white. Never mind handling, I don't even get that close to him as he gets scared about pretty much everything. As soon as he sees something near the cage he retreats back in the corner or starts flailing around wildly.

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:18 am

I am known as a revolutionary in my approach l do not "tame " my bird if she ever escaped how would she get food? By reciting words or dancing? No l do not tame her, and when she started screaming l blew a whistle at her we made a great duet in the end she gave up screaming she is out all day but recently (a month ago she laid two eggs, but she still seeking out places to nest so l have to keep her locked in f0r long periods l hope she will grow out of this behaviour, l do not recommend you follow my advice as each bird is different but Sanjay's Mummi could be right you have not said how large is his cage?

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:03 am

A month is Not long enough for an aviary hatched, parent reared, semi feral bird, I know this because my bird was semi feral. Eating next to the cage stimulates their curiosity, and he will eventually come down to see if you have a tasty morsel for him. Unfortunately the old browser on my phone wouldn't allow me to view your ca ge, I have a Liberta Voyager 2nd edition, which will give you some idea, they need room to flap, flit and keep their tails away from the bars. It has taken 9 years for my bird to sit on me, preen me, and "kiss" me, I just allowed my bird to do things at her own pace (Sanjay turned out to be a little hen called Sweetie, the breeder lied to me). Please resist the temptation to clip your birds wings, it is cruel imho, they need flight for exercise and to escape danger.