Do Alexandrines calm down as they get older?

Moderator: Mods

ian1

Do Alexandrines calm down as they get older?

Post by ian1 »

Alexs are well known for how tame they can be, I think I saw them described once as 'confiding'

My question is for those with older birds...do they slow down a bit and become a bit less 'needy' and chewy after the first year?

I know having a 'cuddly tame' bird is a godsend but it would be nice if he stayed still for 5 seconds and stopped trying to 'participate in what I'm doing' by chewing my stuff.

I don't like locking him up, he is spoilt for toys and chews and knows what 'no' means but doesn't care.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Could I suggest cycling his toys around if he has alot?

A bird spoilt for choice doesnt mean they will only play with their toys, if you have plenty, take some away and change them around every few days if possible as well as changing their locations. This will keep them focused on the toys a little more.

Asiatics generally seem (in my experience) to calm down with age, depends on the bird and its environment etc.

I think though that the problem is just entertaining the bird with its own toys, and following what I said might solve it.

Or carry around a special chew toy / foot toy when he is with you, that he gets now and then but not always, to keep him doing something when he is bored... and maybe get a couple to cycle around as well...

hehe
ian1

Post by ian1 »

Thanks for the reply, I have a collection of plastic bottle caps in my pocket now :) So far you've saved my iPod and a credit card haha