Feather issue

Moderator: Mods

ranasrule

Feather issue

Post by ranasrule »

I got my Alexandarine male a month or so back....the previous owner has clipped his wings in a horrible way (as you can see from the pic). My question is will those feathers grow back and also about those white feathers where his tail begins(i think they are called down feathers ?).Are they supposed to look like that ? Is he moulting ?

Last edited by ranasrule on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissK

Re: Feather issue

Post by MissK »

Hi. It's hard for me to say what's happening there. The wings will molt and come in fresh at the normal time for molting. The pic is too big for me to get an overall look at the bird, but it is true that in molting a lot of those down feathers will be everywhere. Can you host your picture somewhere and give a link? I can't advise you how to resize it, sorry.
-MissK
ranasrule

Post by ranasrule »

MissK wrote:Hi. It's hard for me to say what's happening there. The wings will molt and come in fresh at the normal time for molting. The pic is too big for me to get an overall look at the bird, but it is true that in molting a lot of those down feathers will be everywhere. Can you host your picture somewhere and give a link? I can't advise you how to resize it, sorry.
I have resized the pics as you asked
MissK

Post by MissK »

Good job resizing, thank you!
Is he molting now, since you've had him?
I'm tempted to say that his feathers that look so messy should otherwise be covered by those that have been cut off. They do look pretty raggedy to me. I'd want somebody who can handle their bird all over to have a peek at theirs and compare. But I can see why you're concerned. It looks worse close up, honestly. The bigger picture doesn't look so alarming to me.
-MissK
ranasrule

Post by ranasrule »

MissK wrote:Good job resizing, thank you!
Is he molting now, since you've had him?
I'm tempted to say that his feathers that look so messy should otherwise be covered by those that have been cut off. They do look pretty raggedy to me. I'd want somebody who can handle their bird all over to have a peek at theirs and compare. But I can see why you're concerned. It looks worse close up, honestly. The bigger picture doesn't look so alarming to me.
I have no idea how to tell if hes molting or not
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

Goodness, youre not wrong that that is an awful clip! Your bird should moult in spring or early summer. The most obvious signs of moulthing is you tend to find a variety of different sized feathers everywhere and then the bird starts to look a bit "scruffy" because new feathers come in covered with little sheaves, which he will preen off.

I'm not an expert and only have 2 birds so I might be over cautious, but I am a little worried your boy might be irritated by that clip and over preening or plucking underneath it. Th photo seems to show more grey down feathers than are usually visible.
Missk: My little guy was showing grey fluffs when he was plucking under there, now it is all perfectly Nila-coloured (I look under wings daily).
A visit to an avian vet might be really be good idea.

Regards,
Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

Claire, thanks for input! I really wanted to flip the Rockstar upside down for a look but he, uh, 'wouldn't like that'!!!
-MissK
Joshuanut

View first unread post

Post by Joshuanut »

Where am i looking for it? We cant see a View first unread post. Got it. Its very good. What was there before? A&M
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Can you spread open his wing..I would like to look at the extent of feather damage..perhaps then I may be able to help..