Alexandrine Breeding

Moderator: Mods

Muchoo

Alexandrine Breeding

Post by Muchoo »

Hi, Im Abdul Rehman and Im owner of an Alexandrine Parakeet (male) for 4 years.. recently we've acquired a female alexandrine parakeet, and its tamed to some extent.. but our male parrot doesnt want her to get near.. I want them to breed.. so how can I effectively let them to be frank and breed?
P.S. Our male was brought in our house when he was about 5 days old.. he's here since..
Muchoo

Re: Alexandrine Breeding

Post by Muchoo »

Yeah, breeding season starts from November and lasts till March here.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

May I ask what part of the world you are in?

My other question lies with your male. Is he bonded to you or anyone in your family? Sometimes hand raised chicks have a hard time identifying with another bird of their species because they have become so imprinted on a human that they do not understand they are a bird any longer. Of all of my Alex's only one is hand raised. And he will never be breedable. He argues and fusses with any bird that comes near him. He is only content when perched with his human flock.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Muchoo

Post by Muchoo »

I'm from Pakistan, Asia.. and yeah the male is bonded with almost whole of the family.. like whenever a family member arrives, he greets by squawking.. So you are saying that hand raised parakeets dont breed ever.. I have heard that hand raised birds breed but they'll only do when they are allowed a plenty of time with female in captivity.. When female is put in the cage, he 'Muchoo' doesnt bite her as he did when she was brought first time into the cage with him.. now sometimes he gets offensive when alexandrine hen gets near and tries to change her pupil size, lol..
So if I cage them both in breeding season alongwith nest box, how much probablility is there that they'll breed? Thanks
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I have heard of hand raised birds breeding. It's not ideal though. For your best chances I would move the male and hen into a different cage that neither of them has ever been in. And once breeding season begins have very little contact physically with the male. Hope it works out for you :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Muchoo

Post by Muchoo »

Well, thanks. I'll try then :D