Alexandrine

Moderator: Mods

clawnz

Alexandrine

Post by clawnz »

Subodhhire I am jealous you have such done so well with your Alex. She is so tame.
Magic pics.

Two questions for you!
I hear it is illegal to take these birds from the wild? Yet I am told they are readily available in most markets there.

How old is your female?

I know you picked up on my post a few months back about Dexter & Mango.
They have just about finished their seasonal molt and I must admit I had not expected such a huge molt.
I was truly worried at first, but got good advise and they are now over most of it.
I have let Mango become flighted and this came close to him not being so tame.He may never of had his flight before. I do take it as he knows how to fly, that he must of been allowed to fully fledge before Lura clipped him.
I am also glad to report they have both put on decent weight.
Dexter I have kept clipped as he still does not except he is a bird, and wants to hang out with me all the time.
This is at Mangos peak molt and why I was worried.

Just a few days later I could see all these pins coming in.

Dexter was a week or so behind Mango.

I am glad to report they are both growing in good solid tail feathers at last.

subodhhire

Re: Alexandrine

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Clawnz,

My Alex (name :Chanakya) is 5 months old now. He is so tame as i handfed him from around 5 weeks of age.

Yes it is illegal to even keep these birds in India. But still they are very easily available in every bird market here. I am not very happy about it. Thats the reason i am trying to breed them in captivity.

Mango and dexter look wonderful after the moult.

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Also if you can tell me their ages please.

Subodh
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Whoops sorry about getting the sex wrong of your Alex Chanakya. And I went back and looked at your thread a bit better.
At least you know that he should breed ok and you are going to have some great young ones. Can I ask how you know he is a male? behavior or DNA check.
And when are you planning on adding the female.

From what you are indicating. If they are bred in captivity then you can own them.
As I take it if they are from the wild and you have them, they could be taken away.
I wish you well on this quest and hope you can help keep the ones free in the wild.
I also understand their natural habitat is on the decline.

I will like to keep in touch with you as you progress on this journey, like to hear more about them in your area.
I had a lady tell me they are revered in Afghanistan.

On another note Dexter has become my shoulder buddy and likes to be wherever I am. I will be working with him to try and harness train and then would like to move on to recall training as well.
Dexter in the car enjoying a treat that I got a bag of for the Fids and gave him one on the way home.

Dexter is 4.5yrs old and his brother Mango is 3.5yrs old. They were both raised from the nest by a young lady, who due to horrible circumstances could not give them the love they needed and decided it best to find someone who could give them that care. Lucky me. But I have said that she can have them back if she gets her life back on track.
She told me she cried over Christmas as she feels she let them both down. It was not her fault she got attacked by a male at her own home. That is why she is screwed up emotionally, and why Dexter has security issues.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Clawnz,

I am not sure of the sex of Chanakya, but still i have given him a boys a name. Actually when they are really young around 5 to 6 weeks old. You can tell a male and female apart. But it is not 100% sure and you should have some other baby alex to compare with. When I bought Chankya, he was in a box with almost a dozen more babies, so it was slightly simple for me. But still I am not sure. He might turn out to be a female.

I am planning to breed him in his 3rd year. I have a number of girls lined up for him. Many people have an Alex male/female around where i stay. I dont think it will be an issue to find a girl/boy for him. But right now my priority is to keep him healthy and growing. I will keep you all updated with my progress.

Sorry to hear about the lady and you really are lucky to get those beauties. If they are handfed earlier i think you will make great progress in taming them.

Dexter looks cute enjoying his treat in the car.

Subodh

P.S. Which post of mine did you read?
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

This was your post I read.
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 18&t=16683.
I did ask her a few questions about the stress bars on Dexters feathers as I felt that was important. I needed to kn
With just how tame CHANAKYA is.

I do not know much about their past as I do not like to trouble her. ow why his feathers were in such a poor state.
And finding out that it was due to abuse to her while he was growing in that set of feathers.
I had never owned Alex before so it was all a big learning curve.
Finding out what was the best foods for them and seeing if they could live with my Cockatiels cage free in the house.
Here are some group shots and a vid link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oJ_Ygw9OCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA3iqgrPpjw
Last edited by clawnz on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Clawnz,

I am sorry to reply late. I have been a bit busy these couple of days.

You have a wonderful flock there. And they are so comfortable in each others company. I just wish Chankya could be that comfortable in the presence of my budgies.

Subodh