My Alexandrine pic

Moderator: Mods

subodhhire

My Alexandrine pic

Post by subodhhire »

Hi All,

Pics of my Alexandrine baby named CHANAKYA

I dont know whether you will be able to see it or not.

lets see.

Subodh
MissK

Re: My Alexandrine pic

Post by MissK »

Hi Subodh,

I cannot see it yet. Ellie has posted some very helpful instruction on putting up pictures.
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=15060
I'm no expert, but I use Photobucket, and if I can help you with this, then I would like to.

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

I tried this with the help of ellies post. :( Today is simply not my day.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Sorry, my friend! What photo host are you using?

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi MissK,

I am using the one mentioned in Ellies post. I registered there uploaded pic there and then clicked on img. Then it asked for the url and i pasted the one with Chanakyas picture. But somehow there was some mistake from my side. Hopefully I will figure it out today.

Subodh
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Subodh

I was just looking at the photo host and I think Google have changed how it works so that is probably why you were having problems. Unfortunately I think they've made it now as a tool to predominantly share for those using Google Plus. I will try to update the tutorial at some point... but in the meantime, these are the overarching steps:

1) upload the photo to a photo sharing site.
2) find the web address of the picture and copy it - this will usually be in the form of a long series of letters that starts with http:// and ends with .png or .jpg or .jpeg (you can usually find it by clicking "share")
3) In the forum, press the "Img" button and then paste the web address of the picture between the "[img]" tags.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

These are the photos of Subodh's beautiful bird, Chanakya!

-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Molossus,

It is a boy. But he is only 4 months old now so you cant see the ring yet.

Thanks a lot MissK.

Subodh
TomAndGene

Post by TomAndGene »

Aww he looks great! beautiful bird you have there.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Thank you TOM

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

I hope this time i am right.

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

So finally I was able to upload Chanakyas pic.

Miss K Thanks for the suggestion of Photobucket.

Subodh
TomAndGene

Post by TomAndGene »

awwwwwww :D awesome
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Such a cutie - looks like a happy baby you have there.

Ellie.
TomAndGene

Post by TomAndGene »

my local pet store had 4 of these for sale 2 weeks before christmas, i would go all the time and let them nibble my finger :D they were so sweet but they were all gone by christmas :( Wish i could have had all 4 of them haha.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Aww, isn't he a handsome lad... Looks like a character too
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the nice things you are saying about Chanakya. He is very loving and also likes to cuddle to some extent. He is the happiest when he is around my son. I am not training him any tricks but still he has learned the bat trick on his own. I am trying to teach him flight recall. I wish that he should be a free flighted bird. Lets see how things turn up ahead.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Subodh,

Congratulations on the photo success! Such a pretty bird. He's loving that corn!

I like the Alexandrine, especially with that big beak.

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

subodhhire wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for all the nice things you are saying about Chanakya. He is very loving and also likes to cuddle to some extent. He is the happiest when he is around my son. I am not training him any tricks but still he has learned the bat trick on his own. I am trying to teach him flight recall. I wish that he should be a free flighted bird. Lets see how things turn up ahead.

Subodh
That's great.
Do you mean free flighted outdoors or indoors?
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Claire,

I am planning to train him indoors first and then if i am confident will go for outdoors as well. But its too early to say right now.

Subodh

P.S. Are you going to try outdoor for Nele? Cause he is good indoors.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi All,

Some more pics of Chanakya.

Cuddly Chanakya

Flight recall. But I missed him

Please dont look, I have just taken a bath.

Hope you all like the pics.

Subodh
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I love the action shot.

I very much doubt we will free fly him outdoors, though i would love him to be able to be free. He is a bit nervous outdoors, and I think he would feel to vulnerable by himself.. Also he is only obedient when it suits him ;p Just incase i ever I'm rich and famous I have already planned out his bird room with an enclosed aviary patio for fine weather for him and his friend to live in...
Until them he will probably have to content himself with zooming around the house..
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Clarie,

Even Chanakya is not very confident outside. He will not get down from my shoulders at all when outside. But i have a terrace where i take him daily to get used to it. Nowadays he has become comfortable on the terrace as well. So very soon i will start recall training on the terrace. If things go well then maybe i will have a free flying bird.

Subodh

P.S. I will try to get a good action shot. You must be kidding when you say you like it.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. Subodh, I'm always rather concerned when folks take their bird outside unrestrained. I know I am very cautious, perhaps more cautious than most. I think of how it is part of the bird's natural behaviour to fly up when startled, and I worry that sooner or later the bird would be lost. I know that a strong recall and familiarity with trips outside are probably the best way to protect against loss, aside from a harness. But I cannot help being worried about it. I would be sorry for anyone to lose their bird, but as I found from reading the forum, it's particularly upsetting to me when I see someone has put a lot into their relationship with the bird and then loses it. Please do everything possible to guard against loss. I would be so upset, all the way to America, if Chanakya flew away.

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Missk,

Thanks for the concern. I am also worried about Chanakya when i take him outside. But that is the best way to teach him. Also i want to make a confession. I have clipped Chanakya a bit. It is only a partial clip so he can still fly very well. But it was necessary to stop him from getting hurt as he was crashing throughout the house.

I searched throughout mumbai city for a aviator harness but i could not find one. So i had to take this harsh decision. But now i feel it was the right decision. Cause like all teenagers Chankya was also becoming mischievous. Now he has calmed down a bit.

I dont think i will have to clip him again.

Subodh
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey Subodhhire,

I hope you succeed. I have been reading quite a few articles on free flight, and I love the idea. I am worried that ringnecks are flock creatures, and instinct will override training (ie he could panic when loose and fly away from us to bird companions that are similar to keep him safe from predators). I don't think he could feel safe outside without a bird flock. Nele is the same as your baby, clingy when he's outside, especially to Dave, who is his pet person- I am only his nanny or favourite school teacher. Dave (redzone) would be the only person who could free flight Nele.
You are very sensible to have a bird native to your country! I did choose a ringneck over Australian birds as the most suitable for us, and it was the right bird for Dave (read us). As he is exotic to our country it would be ecologically irresponsible to put him in a position where he could become a pest species. It is strange how exotic animals are common pets, in new Zealand, where I come from, i have never heard of anyone keeping a kakariki as a pet... which leads me to an off Topic question for you also: do you need a permit to breed a native bird like Alexandrines in Indian?

Um about your action photo, all the pictures I've tried to take of our little munchkin flying turn out to be a photo of where the bird isn't, like the wall behind where he was flying when i pressed the button... And you wouldn't believe how many close ups of the beak I've got! I'm pretty impressed you got a shot of the bird in action with the bird in it lol

Claire
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Clarie,

You might like this one better.

Also this one

Subodh
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi, Lovely baby you have there. He really is gorgeous!! Take care of him when you outdoors. Missk is right about it.

Ash
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Subodh

Do Alexandrines have many predators in the wild? I met a pet bird here in Qld that was badly injured during a free flight exercise by a hawk.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Subodh,

Maybe you can get a harness off the internet?

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Claire,

Firstly please accept my apologies for spelling your name wrongly. I just now noticed it. Also please excuse me for not answering your question in the previous post as i had to leave abruptly.

About the free flight what you are saying is right, So i am planning to get a Budgie very soon. This Budgie also i am going to flight train separately. But first i want them to become friends with each other. Then my intentions are to fly them together. Agreed that flock instincts might over rule the training, but If a flock member like a budgie is flying with him he wont feel the urge to go to the actual flock. I maybe wrong, but i want to try it out. And still there is a long way to go. Cause i am not planning to free fly him for at least 2 more years.

My intentions in getting a native bird are to preserve this species. Their number of these birds in the wild is decreasing rapidly. Though catching these species and trading them is illegal still they can be easily bought in any urban pet market. I want to breed them in captivity and encourage others also to breed them. In this way the pet market can be supplied with hand raised birds and hopefully one day poaching of these beautiful birds in the wild will stop. You might say that i am day dreaming :lol: But these are my intentions.

Actually there is no specific license required to keep these birds, But if i am caught in possession of an Alexandrine by a forest official he can put me behind bars.

I tried to click one more pic for you. Did you like it?

Hi Ellie,

I have never seen an Alexandrine or even IRN for that matter who was attacked by a hawk or eagle or Kite. In fact i see them cross each others path daily from my terrace. It is a bit surprising isnt it? But If a bird lands on the ground, He is in great danger from the stray cats and dogs. They will pounce on him immediately. So If a bird is able to fly well he is safe.

Miss K and Ash,

I really appreciate your concern. I tried to buy the harness online but for that i need a international credit card, which i dont have.

Also you must have seen the pics. He is flying really well.

Subodh
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey Subodh,

Keep us updated on how your training is going, I'm very interested. Have you read this article http://www.parrotchronicles.com/feature ... flight.htm ?

Regarding the captive breeding; that's a very worthy ambition, taking wild birds from their families is barbaric... It does make your bird extra precious. I'm guessing no one regulates pet markets?

Cute flying pic, looks like he's getting his landing gear ready to come down on the camera.

Regards,

Claire
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi claire,

Nice article thx

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Subodh,

Stay away from forest officials!! :wink:

When the time comes, will you be able to get bands for the chicks you hope to have? If this is problematic, I would be happy to help if possible. You will be needing bands!

I was also thinking about your international internet shopping dilemma, with regard to the flying harness. I'm not clear if you want the harness, or if it is just a good idea. If the former, I thought maybe a "prepaid visa" card might help. Don't know if you have those in India, but they sell them in the grocery store here. If they are available, you would want to ask all parties ahead of time if that would be acceptable payment.

The pictures are great. Keep them coming!

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Miss K,

:lol: I will surely avoid them. But let me tell you a news that actually happened today. There is a Tiger Reserve in the state of Maharashtra. It so happened that one tiger entered a village adjoining the forest there. There was a lot of chaos and it was in the news since morning. The Tiger was just relaxing and seemed to be in no hurry. Then the forest officials arrived with their dart guns and everything. Their plan was to shoot a sleeping dart at the tiger so that he will fall asleep and then they could safely take him back into the Jungle. Throughout the day they shot somewhere around 15 darts at the tiger but alas all missed. And then the Tiger decided to go back to the jungle on his own and he left the village peacefully in the evening. If these forest officials are not able to catch that tiger how are they going to catch this one (ME) :lol:

regarding the bands i will surely keep it in mind. But it is still a long way to go. Yes I do want a harness but the card that you are talking about is not available here. I have requested my elder brother who is in Singapore to get one for me when he comes down to India. He will be coming in December. Hopefully till then Chanakya wont grow his feathers.

I will surely try for more pictures.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

:lol: :lol:

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi All,

I saw a wild Alex in front of my window today morning and was able to get a pic. Sorry for the quality though.

This one is my Chanakya laying on his back.

Also a perfect bat trick

Hope you like it.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'd like to know this too. In my yard, we call them Lilac, but by any name, one of my favourites.

And what was that tree by your window?

-MissK

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CCoQ9QEwBA
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Molossus and Missk,

I am not an expert in trees and plants, but i have never seen the tree that you are mentioning. It is not common to India. But I think if the seeds of Lilac are good for humans they must be good for birds too.
Also the tree in front of my window is called BADAM (ALMOND) tree. The fruits of this tree are liked by both IRNs and Alexandrines.

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Molossus,

I am extremely sorry to give incorrect information earlier. The name that you mentioned sounded so much alien to me plus when i googled with that name the trees shown were not the ones that i had ever seen.

Now when i searched with the name Indian Lilac, then i understood that you are talking about the NEEM TREE. Yes Molossus it is a very common tree in India and has very high medicinal properties. We as children used to brush our teeth with tender small branches of the tree.
The fruit slightly yellowish in colour when ripe has a sweet taste, I have eaten it many times when i was a child. And also I have seen IRNs eating them. Actually my vet has told me to give twigs of NEEM (Indian Lilac) to my bird for chewing purpose. HE says it is benificial for our birds as the branches have great medicinal properties. But it is very bitter in taste. But I think the birds like it. I have also seen a nest of IRN in the hollow of the Neem tree.

But the picture of the tree which you mentioned was different. So I didnt want to take any chances. Also I am not sure if the Syringa has the same properties as NEEM. If not then you must think twice before feeding it to your bird. Cause there is one more variety in NEEM in Indai which does not have any properties of the medicinal Neem and IRNS dont touch those fruits. I can say for sure because I had both the trees in my countryside house.

I am impressed by your knowledge about the BADAM (Almond) tree. You are very right. The fruit is red in colour and then there is a seed in the middle which is covered by a very hard covering. You have to break it open and then you reach the almond. I have eaten hundreds of them and even today if i find a fallen fruit i eat the seed without fail.

Since you have eaten the seed you must be aware of the covering, just FYI wild Alexandrines crack open that covering for the seed. I have myself seen it. But it is rare. They normally eat the fruit and fly off.

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Molossus,

Chinaberry or persian lilac is the other neem tree having no medicinal properties. It is called the ENGLISH NEEM here. Yes it is toxic to both humans and i have not seen an IRN or Alexandrine eating it. It is only used as a ornamental tree sort of. It has no values at all.

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Thats a great idea friend. I wish you luck.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Subodh & Molossus,

I may be particularly dim today, but it has been a hard week for me. I think I am understanding correctly that.....

Melia azedarach = Chinaberry = Indian Lilac = English Neem = wrong plant for birds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melia_azedarach

and

Azadirachta indica = medicinal Neem = correct plant for birds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azadirachta_indica

Both these trees seem too large for me to grow - probably could put my entire place in Molossus's bathtub, but I still like to know these things.

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Yes MissK you are right about the plant.

Subodh
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

molossus wrote:thanks for that my dear friend.
I am going to try to get some Neem seed to grow these here at home.
I would also like some seed/saplings if you manage to track some down, please. I have two large Melia Azedarach on my property, but they are messy trees and I can't stand them. They will be cut down in the next months as they are considered an invasive species in SA. I'll replace them with some indigenous fruit bearing tree. Some of the local birds do eat the flowers and ripe beige berries. I've been told they are poisonous and never bothered feeding it to my birds.