At last I can post pics of the guys

Moderator: Mods

clawnz

At last I can post pics of the guys

Post by clawnz »

So here are a few of them.
Mango on the left Dexter on the right. This is one of the first photos, and as you can see they were not camera shy, in fact they both wanted it.

I will post a warning here. I do run an open house for the fids, they are not caged. Please note the risks involved in having different birds out together.

So in saying that Dexter & Mango were raised around Cockatiels, But they were o notice when I adopted them that they had to get along with my Tiels.
Henry my oldest Cockatiel took a shine to them right away and I got this photo of him sharing a meal.

A group photo

They are both hand tame and very well behaved. Dexter on the left relaxed and a bit fluffy. Mango on the right.

Mango

Dexter sleeping on my shoulder

Yet another warning!
Please do not do this if you are not confident that any bird you have like this in the car will not get hurt or cause an accident.
Dexter is asleep and Mango is looking the other way as we come up the motorway, after a 100km round trip.

And here was the first time they had been put on stage in front of 200 people, with spots lights on them, while I talked about bird welfare and how you can get to interact with a bird. They were so good, I am sure I was freaking and they seemed to be so calm. Nobody could believe I had only had them 11weeks.
Melika

Re: At last I can post pics of the guys

Post by Melika »

Thanks for the posts and pictures! Beautiful!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thanks for sharing the photos!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

nice birds
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

it is MISS K not MISS Y. Anyways thanks for the info about the beak of alex. I was not aware of it. cause i never weighed the beak seperately lol.

Subodh
myrka2004

Post by myrka2004 »

They both really handsome ....my boy Zorro don't have a ring yet as he only 11 months old....can't wait to see how beautifully will be he as yours :D
MissK

Post by MissK »

"Missy" - Hahaha!
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Miss K,
Yes i had mentioned in one of my post that i stay in India, Mumbai and get to see these birds in the wild. As you must be knowing that Mumbai is a very crowded city and there are very few green spots remaining in the city. But still these birds have managed to co exist with humans in such a crowded city. We get to see these birds on terraces, trees, towers etc.
I think that these birds are naturally friends of humans. There was an article in a leading newspaper with picture of a lady who stays in the heart of mumbai city and she hand feeds almost 20 wild IRNs daily. They come to her window daily in the morning and evenings. She has even named them. How she identifies each one is a mystery to me. But it is true. There is a one IRN in our vicinity who visits a particular window daily to eat chapati (Bread made from wheat flour). He likes it. I have seen him many times. First he sits on the hanging wires of television cable just in front of the window and calls in his loud voice. The lady who i know personally places the chapati on the window sill and stands a little far away from the window. The IRN then comes to the window picks up the chapati and flys back to the cable wire where he then enjoys his chapati. They become really friendly if you acquire their trust. There are also Alexandrines around the city but are rarely spotted. I myself have seen quite a few. But I have not seen an Alexandrine visit a window for chapati yet. But it seems that they are just like IRNs overall.
When I was around 10 years old i had a female IRN by the name of Julie. She used to climb my bed and wake me up by calling my name. She was very sweet. But due to negligence of my younger brother she flew out of the window and we were not able to find her at all. I cried for a whole day when i lost her. But After that we were not allowed to keep pets. Now I am 39 and i have got 2 baby Alexandrines. You can say now i am fulfilling my childhood wish. Lets hope all goes well with my babies.
Now from this site, internet and from my own birds i am learning a lot. But i will keep you posted about the wild IRNs around me. But one thing is for sure once you get them to trust you, they will be your best companion.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thanks Subodh,
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Miss K,
If you have gained the trust of your IRN, you have won the battle. Its ok if you are not able to spend more time with him. Only try to give him time daily. I want to tell you one experience of my own. The Alexandrine that i lost last year was very closely bonded to me. He was with me only for around 2 months. I had to go out of town for 10 days at a stretch. I told my mom and dad to take care of him and had to go. My baby stopped making any kind of noise that he usually would make when someone was around. He was only eating his meals and sitting quitely on his perch. But when i returned and he heard my voice, He immediately flew to me (The flight was a bit clumsy) and started making his usual sounds as if for greeting me. I was overwhelmed at his behavior.
Once they are attached to you they will never forget you. The wild IRN who eats Chapati from a window used to wait and call loudly to the lady even when she had gone somewhere for some reason. The day she returned this wild IRN was overjoyed. His joy reflected in his wild calls.

Subodh