Raising o8 Days old Alexandrine Chick

Moderator: Mods

Amjad

Raising o8 Days old Alexandrine Chick

Post by Amjad »

Dear All:

I am glad to know about the experiences people are sharing and I am sure they will be beneficial in raising my 08 days Old Alexandrine Parrot Chick.

Please note that I am currently feeding him Cerelac after every 03 hours almost and want to know if there is any vitamin or calcium supplement I can add to raise him more properly and healthy.

Thanks
Amjad

Re: Raising o8 Days old Alexandrine Chick

Post by Amjad »

No one around for help :|
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi dont hand raise birds but hopefully somebody can answer the question,
try searching the site for hand feeding.

Ta Glenn
jean19

Post by jean19 »

sorry , i can't help , i hope somebody , will be able to .
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

10 Days Old and he is doing great :)
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

Cant upload pics due to board quota [ dont't know what is it ]
jean19

Post by jean19 »

Amjad wrote:10 Days Old and he is doing great :)
that's a good news !
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

Hi all:

My 08 days Alexandrine got one month old on 15th of July [ he was actually 05 days old when I got him ]

I need some help.

Can anybody tell me when he is going to get a patch of red feathers on his shoulders.

I hope somebody around should answer my question

Regards
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

please reply. I am kind of worried now as if the one who sold it to me has bluffed me as he is more tha one month old now and I can't see any sign of red patch on his shoulders.

There are some pictures on internet showing red wings in chicks which are quite young.

Please help me out regarding this.

Would be grateful
jean19

Post by jean19 »

sound bad !! but perhaps some bird take more time to grows their red patches
have a look a that post : http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 18&t=11819
could you put a picture of your bird .
julie

Post by julie »

i will have a look for some pics of mika and see when he started getting his red patches.
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

hey thanks alot. I have been trying to upload pics since day-1 but the pix ain't uploading due to some quota issue. I am trying again and hope that it works this time.

Its not working and displays following message

Sorry the board attachment quota has been reached
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

I am very concerned about it now :cry: . I have taken a great deal of care in bringing him up. I hope he is pure Alexandrine breed :(
julie

Post by julie »

im not quite sure exactly how old mika is in this first pic but you should be able to tell by how much feathers from mine to yours .the next pic down is mika (alex) and spike (irn) they are around the same age and you can see the size difference. http://media5.dropshots.com/photos/6036 ... 120509.jpg

http://media3.dropshots.com/photos/6036 ... 032751.jpg
julie

Post by julie »

for the pics i use dropshots,i go to dropshots or other photo hosting sites and click on the pic i want (after its been uploaded to the site) i right click and click properties and copy the image location. come back to this board and paste it into here and then people can click on it and see the pic.
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

well i didn't notice any kind of difference b/w your alex and Rony [my alex]. Your ones seem to be few days older than mine. Otw they are perfectly similar in shape and size. Mine lacks red feathers :(:(

Please have a look at these pics and share your findings. These pics are taken today e.g. on 17th July. He is 32 days old now, Thanks for dropshots though :)

1. http://media11.dropshots.com/photos/897 ... 140309.jpg

2. http://media11.dropshots.com/photos/897 ... 140234.jpg

3. http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/897 ... 140218.jpg

the beak of Rony is not Red too. I wonder it lacks the red color naturally :lol:
julie

Post by julie »

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 18&t=11429

looks alex to me.Some breeders cross irn with alexs so there is that chance too. check out the thread i posted (first line) that bird is pretty well feathered and only just has the red coming through.
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

thanks Julie. You are right. I think there isn't any problem with Rony as the overall size and structure looks fine considering that he's just one month old

I am going to see the man who sold him to me. Lets take his point of view aswell. I will keep you updated

Btw, do your mind clicks on some deficiency thing?? Do i need to see some veterinary doctor for it as the beak didn't turn over to be red either?
jean19

Post by jean19 »

don't worry for the beak , the colour will come as he'll grows older .
julie

Post by julie »

the beak look ok,they get red later on. I mix in some stewed apples or pumpkin ect into the formula so they get a little extra vitamins. Its good that your asking questions,soon you will be able to help others.
julie

Post by julie »

He will be itchy with the feathers coming in,now is a good time to get him used to you touching him,try giving him a little scratch around his head and at the base of his neck and rub his beak . There will be flaky stuff that comes of the feathers,this is where the feathers have come out of the sheaths.
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

Dear All:
I talked to the person who sold it to me and as its obvious its NOT Alex. He confessed it and was not able to compensate me for it. He asked me to take my money back but I refused as money is not a matter for me. I rather preferred to keep him for next 15 to 20 days till he is able to fly freely. I will set him free and will get his prayers. For the person who bluffed me I leave the matter to my God. He will soon be repenting on his cheat and will bear even a big loss than the one I suffered. My affection with my parrot was pure and i took his care in the best way i could have but I cudn't get what i wanted out of him.

I am an engineer by profession and only I know how difficult was it to raise just 05 days old chick. I am badly hurt. I hope to buy a chick yet again coming year as according to him, the season is over for this year.

Thank you all for your support.

Prayers and Well Wishes

jean19

Post by jean19 »

how can you think of setting free a bird that as been hand raised :shock: where did he learn to feed himself , where did he learn to escape predator and so on .... where did he learn to take care of itself ...
when you take a hand feed bird your responsible of him .find him a new home and forget about taking a hand raised bird , i don't think your mature enough to take such a responsibility on your shoulder .
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

time will teach him everything just like me. :)
julie

Post by julie »

Do you want to see if someone around your area would like him? There is a couple of people on here from your country.
are you sure you dont want to keep the little fella? i have both indians and alex and they are both super birds to keep.
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

I appreciate your concern for the bird. I am not willing to give it to any one. I will let it fly when he is able to. However I am willing to exchange it with Alex.

Thanks
Amjad

Post by Amjad »

Hello:

I belong to Pakistan. I have decided to hand it over to the person who sold it to me as letting it free is not the right option. Thanks for raising and highlighting the issue. I was totally unaware of it.

Yes I shouldn't have bought 05 days old chick. I hope to get one again next year. This years experience was a very bad one though.

Thank you all

Cheers
jean19

Post by jean19 »

nice one !!
lene1949

Post by lene1949 »

Someone around here are also advertising Alexandrines... They have no red patch.. Maybe they're a mutation, don't know.. But I wanted a pure Alex - Not interested in beautiful mutations.. Max was 4 weeks old, when I got him, and he certainly looks like a 'pure' Alexandrine.