Single female laying eggs- What to do?

Moderator: Mods

yramnot

Single female laying eggs- What to do?

Post by yramnot »

I have a young female Alexandrine due to turn two this month. She hasn't yet begun to lay eggs, but I'm wondering what I need to do when she starts to. My father and I are somewhat stumped. He talked to a friend who has kept parrots for 40 years. This man says that we should remove the eggs immediately. He says that we should hope that she lays eggs while perched and that they break on the cage floor. According to him, if our parrot is allowed to sit on eggs for any length of time, she will become attached to them and pluck her feathers when the eggs are removed. I, however, have read that a nest of some kind should be provided and the bird should be allowed to sit for as long as she likes. My research dictates that if eggs are taken away immediately, the parrot will continue to lay eggs repeatedly and may become eggbound. Which is true? If neither, what IS the truth? We're quite confused, and we only want what is best for our bird.
julie

Re: Single female laying eggs- What to do?

Post by julie »

so she hasnt actually laid yet ?
jean19

Post by jean19 »

all of that is true , that's the problem , everybody answer , speaking from is own experiences , all birds have got their characters and react differently some bird will never lay eggs without a male , some will every years , some won't mind you taking the egg away ...... so and so ..
don't panic now and wait till it happens , read a lot about it to be prepared and you'll have to try in function of your bird .
yramnot

Post by yramnot »

Thank you. I've searched high and low for an answer, and that's the best one I've encountered yet. :)