taming a ringneck?

Moderator: Mods

Htaco

taming a ringneck?

Post by Htaco »

Hey guys new African ringneck owner here :)
I was wondering how long it would take to tame him?

I just got him 3 days ago from a bird stop where breeders sell their birds to.
When I saw him, he was the only ARN in a large cage with about 3 other parrots. He didn't scream or anything when the guy caught him. The guy who caught him said he was about 1 year old, but I'm not so sure. However he already has a visible ring around his neck.

At home when I put my hand near him, he doesn't bite but rather just climbs away. I'm trying to get him to talk, but he barely even mumbles. I've been also spending time with him everyday. He also is really clumsy when he is on my hand. Is that also normal?

Thank you guys so much!
subodhhire

Re: taming a ringneck?

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Htaco,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new bird.
Its only 3 days that you have got the bird home and you want him to talk? Dont you think you are rushing things. I think first the bird has to get accustomed to his new environment, then he has to start trusting you and after that you can think of training him whatever you want to train.
Just slow down please. First try to understand your bird properly, go through other peoples threads about their birds and what all they have done to gain the trust of their birds, research a lot on the google. You will find all your answers. But be patient and dont rush to things. All the best.

Subodh
Htaco

Post by Htaco »

Thank you. I know patience is best. I hope to imagine that in a few months to a year, he will be more friendly to the hand and utter some words.
I'm sorry if I sounded too rushed, I was just so excited of getting a ringneck after researching what parrot would be best for my home.
So far he seems to be adapting quickly and does not look frightened from when he first came here.
Thank you for advice as well!
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Be warned some ring necks do not speak. They just chirp. So you can hope for them to talk but don't expect it as it may never happen.

Fi
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

My two cents worth.
Look up Positive Reinforcement Training. Barbara Heidenreich is very good.
For now as has been pointed out take a step back and start by sitting next to the cage and talk and read to your new Fid.
If it comes to your side of the cage, then you can try offering treats. If it backs away, so do you.
Please remember that it's cage should be it's safe zone and this is a good place to feed it for now even if you have it out of the cage only put food in the cage.
Try not to push let it settle in to it's new home and humans.
Patience is the key. Work at the birds pace not your own. Always try to be calm around your bird and keep movements slow.
Soildisetried

Post by Soildisetried »

Tell to me, please - where I can read about it?
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

just google it. You will find everything you need.

Subodh
Rassie Smit Knl

Post by Rassie Smit Knl »

Greetings All

WOW reading is King i also thot all RN talk but i was wrong, if i may what age do they start talking and getting the ring around the neck?