Please note, there is not longer instant registration. All new users will need to request membership by registering first. Once registered, I'll contact you with further details to be approved. Spammers have hindered our wonderful little community here, for this reason, I had to remove instant membership access until the problem can be solved. Best wishes, IMRAN-C

(Almost) A new IRN owner

Moderator: Mods

CorleneD22

(Almost) A new IRN owner

Post by CorleneD22 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:40 am

Good day everyone

A friend of mine is moving away and is selling me their IRN. I dont know the bird at all. The bird is, according to my friend, one-and-a-half years old. Now it is going to live with me, my husband and a tenant. I've never owned any type of bird before.

I would appreciate any advice on taking an old(er) bird into a new home.

Also, can all of us (all three) work with the bird or should only one person work with it?

Thank you all.

ringneck
Site Admin

Re: (Almost) A new IRN owner

Post by ringneck » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 am

Hey CorleneD22,

Is the bird already tamed?

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C

CorleneD22

Post by CorleneD22 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:35 am

Hi IMRAN-C

I don't really know how to answer. The previous owners said they opened the cage and she sat on their shoulders and kissed them. She just arrived yesterday so she was a bit shy with us. We gave her a piece of fruit yesterday and a piece of carrot this morning. She took it peacefully, not making a fuss ao trying trying to bite. I say 'trying' because yesterday she didn't try, but...threatened to.
How would I know when she is ready to be let out of the cage?

Thanks a lot!

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Hey CorleneD22,

Well it sounds like she is tame. I say just open the cage door and see what happens. Does she step up on your finger? If not, wait a few more days and continue to give her treats. Once she comfortably takes treats from your hand—try to coax her to step-up on your finger and place her on your shoulder.

Just continue what the owner did when she had her :D . Give her a treat for me :O)!

Best Wishes :wink: ,
IMRAN-C