(Almost) A new IRN owner

Moderator: Mods

CorleneD22

(Almost) A new IRN owner

Post by CorleneD22 »

Good day everyone

A friend of mine is moving away and is selling me their IRN. I dont know the bird at all. The bird is, according to my friend, one-and-a-half years old. Now it is going to live with me, my husband and a tenant. I've never owned any type of bird before.

I would appreciate any advice on taking an old(er) bird into a new home.

Also, can all of us (all three) work with the bird or should only one person work with it?

Thank you all.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: (Almost) A new IRN owner

Post by ringneck »

Hey CorleneD22,

Is the bird already tamed?

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
CorleneD22

Post by CorleneD22 »

Hi IMRAN-C

I don't really know how to answer. The previous owners said they opened the cage and she sat on their shoulders and kissed them. She just arrived yesterday so she was a bit shy with us. We gave her a piece of fruit yesterday and a piece of carrot this morning. She took it peacefully, not making a fuss ao trying trying to bite. I say 'trying' because yesterday she didn't try, but...threatened to.
How would I know when she is ready to be let out of the cage?

Thanks a lot!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey CorleneD22,

Well it sounds like she is tame. I say just open the cage door and see what happens. Does she step up on your finger? If not, wait a few more days and continue to give her treats. Once she comfortably takes treats from your hand—try to coax her to step-up on your finger and place her on your shoulder.

Just continue what the owner did when she had her :D . Give her a treat for me :O)!

Best Wishes :wink: ,
IMRAN-C