juan23

how do i train my african ringneck to talk plz help

Post by juan23 »

how do i train my african ringneck to talk plz help
SCB -SA

Re: how do i train my african ringneck to talk plz help

Post by SCB -SA »

hi there,

Couple of quick questions, how old is your bird, is it male or female, how long have you had it?

Thanks, once you have answered those, will be able togive better advice.
juan23

Post by juan23 »

its a male i think his 1 year old and i have him for 4 months
juan23

Post by juan23 »

SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Great, then patience and persistance is the only way, try making sure you chat to him alot, repeating words you would like him to say, such as good morning, and hello, but try stick with basics and try not teach him too many words at a time, for example start with hello.

Does he whistle and mutter to himself as if he wants to talk but just cant seem to get it right?
juan23

Post by juan23 »

he sometimes whistle like 3 times a week do u know y his getting bald i always clean his cage every day fresh food and water i dont see no hair coming out
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Post some pics so we can have a look.

Best advice is to take him to an avian vet.
juan23

Post by juan23 »

i post the pics on youtube so u can see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di-UfHlwjnI
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Juan,

It's probably a moult. All my rinngecks are moulting right now--including my African Rinngecks ;o) Also, does your African Ringneck let you hold him? Is he bonded to you? You said he whistles a few times a week--is that a learned whistle such as a wolf whistle, or are they natural ringneck sounds? Was he someone's pet before you got him or was he in a breeding aviary? He has to be older than a year by looking at his ring--it's very prominent.

Hope to hear back from you :wink: , IMRAN-C
juan23

Post by juan23 »

no i dont hold him his so scare he do natural sounds i got in the breeding aviary whats prominent mean??????
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Prominent - dark, visable, pronounced, (not light as a one years old ring may be)

Is he still with that female, as it may be her causing him to lose his feathers, could be poor diet, stress, moulting does not usually leave entirely bald spots, but rather small patches where you can see pin feathers coming through again.
juan23

Post by juan23 »

yes he is still with the female they dont figth i only give him seeds and water i see pin feathers coming out what can i give him to eat??? i dont know nothing about birds thats y i ask questions thans for all ur help SCB -SA
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey Juan,

Thanks for answering the questions. So, it seems you have a mature male who is a breeder already paired with a female. Now, I know your intentions were to have a talking male; however, to be honest I don’t think that’s going to happen. I know it is not what you wanted to hear but I think you’d be better off waiting until they have babies—then hand feeding one and keeping it as a pet.

All birds go through an imprinting process and this is important when taming, training, and talking. To develop a great talking parrot he needs to associate his human friends as flock members. Because he had time to live in an aviary environment the odds are stacked against him talking due to the fact he has been imprinted on other birds. Is it possible he’ll ever talk? No, if you work with him and tame him and he bonds strongly to you anything is possible—but it’s going to be very difficult.

Don’t worry about not knowing anything about birds. I commend you for doing your research and that’s what we are all here for :wink: . So ask away :D Also, read the article about ringneck's diet here: http://www.indianringneck.com/feeding/ This will better help you feed your parrots.

Personally, I think you should keep them together and just enjoy them for what they are. When they have babies then you might think about keeping one as a personal pet. This next year will give you a good insight into what these parrots are all about and you'll know what to do when you have a hand fed ringneck :wink:

Hope this helps my friend :wink: ,

Best Wishes,
IMRAN-C
juan23

Post by juan23 »

oh well ama try my best to tame him thanks for ur help
juan23

Post by juan23 »

i post a video on youtube of my ringnecks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYKTLMr ... tube_gdata
juan23

Post by juan23 »

i used the clicker training and he looks like sad i dont know y??
juan23

Post by juan23 »

more feathers are coming out.....
juan23

Post by juan23 »

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Juan, I realise you want to tame a bird, but your going to find it very difficult to tame the ones you have being wild adult breeders. Some very helpful advice from Imran and others here. Please consider, maybe you could give these to someone who can put them in an avary and find a hand reared baby that would be suited to you. Then you are able to tame/train it young.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
juan23

Post by juan23 »

so that means the am not going to tame them???
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Because they are wild, fully grown adults they would take years to train.

Basically unless you are willing to spend the time and have the patience to spend with them (and even then it may not work!) as mentioned above, either allow them to breed in a comfortable sized aviary, and keep and hand rear a baby,
or give them to someone who would allow you to have a baby once they have bred.

Thanks
juan23

Post by juan23 »

the female is more smaller than the male i still have chanse
julie

Post by julie »

argh. that is all.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello,

I know you’re adamant about taming your ringnecks. But you have to look at it from their perspective. Remember, these birds have been in an aviary environment for a while. They do not understand that you want to tame them and interact with them. For this reason, you will have to spend a great deal of time conditioning the birds to your presence. This can take a lot of work on your part. It’s not easy as the birds are already set on being with each other.

Remember, taming is a difficult and long process. So many things depend on the parrots becoming tame. In fact, it really all depends on the birds and if they are willing to let you in. The only thing you can do is continue to offer them love, food, and company. It’s important to know that each bird has their personality and some will be more responsive than others.

Also, these birds are housed together and this alone makes taming difficult. If you want a tame them, you will have to keep them separately which means more work on your part. Again, I honestly think it’s better you just enjoy them for what they are :wink: .

I hope this helps my friend :wink: !

Best wishes,

IMRAN-C