My Groupies

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

Mattls

My Groupies

Post by Mattls »

Heya well I thought I should announce my groupies aka my fids!

First we have Sunni the IRN that you're all familiar with (see avatar)

Next up is Zari my budgie (pictures to come).

Soon we'll be picking up an eclectus (wife's fid) looks like she'll be kiki. Will post pics when we get her.

Finally today we became foster parronts to "Pretty Girl" the crimson wing parakeet (pictures to come). She's settling in quite well, she was attacked by a dog but is now almost fully recovered. Not exactly friendly yet, but we can have her step up, and we got her in the shower this afternoon because SHE STANK! Oh boy how she liked the shower, at the moment she's outside in her cage drying in the hot sun, and loving every minute!
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Another ekkie girl! YAY!! Someone needs to get a male, though! :lol:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

More Ekkies huh? I want another one sooo bad...*sighs* Have to keep reminding myself that I have Prinny and Aggie...no need for any more

Dani
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

If you don’t mind me asking what happened to your ekkie.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Well this morning the crimson wing is doing well. She saw us eating toast and HAD to have some; so she had a quarter of a piece of peanut butter toast for breakfast. She was beak grinding last night, I'm glad she's happier here in our environment.

Yeah my wife's in love with female ekkies.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

iaowings...Bodi passed away a week before I got Aggie here. He passed away from heart failure :(

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

:(
~ Mikaela Sky

Post by Guest »

Pulls foot out of mouth

So sorry, I must have not seen the post if you posted it.
I feel bad sorry.
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

thats me above
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Nothing like hijacking a thread :P.

Well the crimson wing is doing okay, went through a period where she would only accept food if it was fed from mouth to mouth. Has met Sunni (has a nice big cage next to her in the same room) and seems to get along reasonably well, even wants Sunni to feed her. She's only about 12 weeks old by the look of her, very babylike behaviors.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*giggles* Oops...we'll give the thread back...

So when are we getting pics??? *taps foot*

Dani
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Pics still coming :P.

Well people I just got some exciting news! We're heading into Melbourne tonight to pick up our new baby ekky! He/she is 3 weeks old so no telling what sex yet. We'll be hand-raising and feeding it for the next 6 weeks or so, but it's pretty exciting! The price, compared to everywhere else around here, was excellent.

Speaking of excellent prices, we got an identical (but black instead of silver) cage to Sunni's (the one that cost us $90) for $66 delivered!
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Wow congrats Matt! Good luck with the new baby, I can't wait to see pictures of her as she grows up.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

*looks over at iowings, like damn girl... know how you feel. My foot stays in my mouth*

T'is OK. Danny loves and heals. Very stable. She has probably lost animals before. Me? If I lost baby I would just disappear. No way could I come here with him being at Rainbow Bridge.

Thats a scary thought.

I was actually sick with my back when Bodi passed. I wasnt on much but Dani, I want to take this time to commend you in your dealing with that. You rock. I wish I could sometimes be more like you... roll with the punches.

If I lose a pet, will you grief me through it? Because bet your arse, you'll be the first place I come. And it wont be pretty.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Mik...hun, we all gotta move on. What good is it to be in constant pain over the loss of a pet? I loved Bodi more than anything but even that isn't going to make him come back. I remember the good times and how much I adored him.

If you ever lost Baby and went away you know we'd be after you...there's no way we'd let you go. I'd make Kim, Sue and Missi hunt your butt down and bring you back. Look at Missi...she lost Baby but she's still here and why? Cause she's loved here just like you are.

Anyways...Mattls Where are those darned pics anyway??? I want to see that cute ekky soon...*impatiently taps foot*

Dani
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

That's right! We're a family! Ya don't just leave your family if, God forbid, your child dies. You may go into mouring for a while, but darnit, you need your family!

Yes, I can't wait to see the ekkie pics! 3 females between you, iao, and me!
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

agree, besides you know u would not be able to stay away 4 ever.

Ok so the place I got Carmen just brought in a baby male ekkie who is so sweet and small and soft and and and …. You get my point. Ill try to take pics 4 u all. I wish I had another 1000 just lying around so I could get him too. well id have to think about it because Carmen was very jealous of me paying attention to another baby. As far as she is concerned she is the only bird I can hold in my hands and sweet talk.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

omg I adore those male ekkies...the female may be brighter and gorgeous but there is something so serene and peaceful yet naughty and playful about those boys...

I WANT ANOTHER...someone stop me!

Dani
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Oh the boys are so naughty but sweet! Joe wants a male but like, IAO, we can't afforad another at the moment. Jazzy is the only fid she wants to see in our arms! lol These ekkies!

Dani...I think you SHOULD get another ekkie :twisted: Join the club again!! *hugs*
Bird crazy

Matttis are you out there?

Post by Bird crazy »

I wantto see a pick of the crimson wing. I don't think it's one we have here in the US, or am I wrong, anybody else ever see one?

I too am in love with Eclectus parrots. And I do love the males but the females are so pretty. I spent 7 years looking at parrots before I got my Rowdy. He's been in another home now for a few years because I got sick. :cry: But I can honestly say he was the most fascinating pet I've ever had. His calm steady stare and the way he paid attention to me was unnerving at times. I really think he understood everything I told him.

I love Nila, but it's a completely different personality. Not a bad difference just different. Nila is like too impatient to even listen to what I's saying a lot of the time. But Rowdy always seemed to consider what I was saying. He sure didn't always comply with every request, but he at least listened and considered it.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

If ever anyone is in need of some ekkie time, please do come over and handle Jazzy. It will definetly help with socializing her too so she doesn't get used to just the same people. She does pretty well with strangers now, hopefully that behaviour follows over when she's mature :shock:

I don't want her attacking my family when they come to visit (which is only like twice year if that :cry:) LOL I've heard this happeneing with people mature female ekkies a lot.

How could you resist a sweet lil cuddly face like this

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Missi, Jazzie is gorgeous! She just gets prettier and prettier :D

Next time I get down your way I'll come visit! If you get to Gainesville--do the same!

Seriously--we need to all get together--anybody going to the bird expo in Orlando in 2 weeks??
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

OOOPPPPSSSS!!!

Sorry Mattis! Did not mean to hijack your thread!

Did you bring your baby home last night???? I can't wait to see pictures!!!
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Hi there,

Well we brought our new baby ekky home last night. Turns out it's a he! Little green pin feathers coming up in quite a few areas. 22 days old, we've called him Ozzie. Already got a personality, loves his cuddles and his red teddy. Pictures of all my flock including Ozzie in the Photos forum.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

I can't find the pic's!?!

Where are they posted?? I want to see Ozzie :D

Good luck with your little guy....
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Curious aabout the red teddy since IRN are afraid of red, I would imagine Ekkies are drawn to it because their mothers are red. Was that the plan in providing a red teddy or was it coincidental?

Sue and Nila
Sue

Post by Guest »

That was the plan!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I want him...mine mine mine!

*giggles* Wow...ok so I've got to stop acting like a child...

He's cute!

Dani
lazy Mattls

Post by lazy Mattls »

Little Ozzie had the runs overnight and I've just been called and told he has them again now and is acting quite sluggish. We've booked him in to see our avian vet tonight. Good thing is the vet used to be in Torquay (1/2 hour away) but has moved to Highton (2 minutes away), so we should find out if anything is wrong fairly quickly.

Prayer for the little one is needed and appreciated!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Uh oh...He'll have a special place in my prayers! Hope everything goes well

Dani
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Well it turns out Ozzie has a combination of thrush and e.coli, $160 later and a big list of things to buy and do and hopefully we've caught it early enough for cure. Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

any update on ozzie for us?? we worry when one of the family isn't feeling well :(
lazy Mattls

Post by lazy Mattls »

Ozzie deteriorated rapidly yesterday evening and we weren't sure he would live through the night. We woke up every three hours to check on him and re-heat his heatpack etc. This morning before I left for work he was a bit more active, standing up and squawking a bit. Enthusiasticly eating. Had to go to work and leave him with a fresh heatpack so haven't been able to check on him in 3 hours.

Post by Guest »

hey Mattis

glad to hear Ozzie seemed better this morning...hope he continues to improve

please keep us posted, you and Ozzie will be in my thoughts.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

oops...that was me. dang thing! I was signed in *growls*

kisses to Ozzie
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

I've been thinking of you guys too. Hope it goes well with you and Ozzie does get better fast.

Sue and Nila
Sue
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

how is Ozzie today?? I hope he is doing well. I know it is really hard when one of your fids is sick....just know we are thinking about you and Ozzie.
lazy Mattls

Post by lazy Mattls »

Hi guys,

Well the runs have stopped finally. The poo is almost normal again. Lots more energy, standing up and waddling around. Loud chirps, eating very well, gained weight again (upto 180 grams now).

Looks like we're out of danger, but we're still up every 3 hours.
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

thank goodness :D

I am so glad to hear Ozzie is doing better!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

That is great to hear...now don't forget to update us with lots of pics!

Dani
Bird crazy

Yeah Ozzie's better

Post by Bird crazy »

Hope he continues to grow and bring you many years of fun and games and little or in the ekkie's case big birdie kisses.

Sue and Nila and ???
Sue
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Well Ozzie was back at the vets last night for a checkup. The ulcer has completely disappeared so he can use both eyes fine and we don't have to apply eyedrops. Ozzie's nose is frequently getting congested including lots of sneezing, possibly a respiratory virus. He's on antibiotics for 5 days to clear that up.
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Thinking of you and hoping he continues to improve and grow.
Sue