All registrations must be approved by an admin. Having problems with registration? E-mail us at indianringnecks@gmail.com

A Thread For Budgie Fans

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

MissK

A Thread For Budgie Fans

Post by MissK » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 am

Welcome to A Thread For Budgie Fans!

I looked and looked for a Forum as nice as this one, but for Budgies. Couldn't find one. IndianRingneck.com has the best forum ever! So I decided to hijack a little bit of the Ringneck Forum and make it a space for those of us who love Asiatic Parakeets, but love Budgerigars, too! (Hope that's OK........)

Put your Budgie stuff here! I'll start:

My name is MissK and I love Budgies. I love their pretty looks and their vivacious attitudes. I'd like to keep a great many, but it seems not suited to my lifestyle. :lol: I do keep a beautiful pair in my Living Room, across from my Indian Ringneck Parakeet. Riff Raff, my girl, is a mostly pewter grey Budgie with grey markings. She's about a year old. My boy, Dr. Scott, is yellow and light green, also with grey markings. He's a few months younger than Riff Raff. The Budgies are friends, but it's possible that Dr. Scott loves his mirror more than he loves Riff Raff, and that's good with me, since that mirror will never lay eggs. My pet peeve is how Americans say "Parakeet" when they mean "Budgerigar" and don't think there are any other kinds of parakeets.

The Budgie cage is about 18"x30"x32" high. It is furnished with natural fig branches, hand made jute ropes in varied thickness, hardy kiwi and grape vines, natural fir perches, beads, blocks, rings, a bath, cardboard hidey-hole tube, a rag swing and a standard swing, a small mirror, and cuttle bone. I recently removed a pair of store-bought Budgie toys because they got no action. My Ringneck, Rocky, might enjoy them on his play area.

The Budgies eat a seed mix along with some pellet mush and variety of fresh foods. Well, at least I *offer* them a variety of fresh foods...... They prefer fresh greens and Bell Pepper seeds. Sometimes they get a tiny bit of meat or egg.

One of my Budgies is finger tame and the other is not. I was astonished by the difference between the birds, as youngsters, and I'm convinced it has to do with the conditions under which they were kept at the different (gasp!) Pet Stores where I bought them. Riff Raff came from a store where the birds were kept in small numbers in somewhat smaller cages, flying naturally with a broad spread of perches and a few toys, all young birds. Dr. Scott came from a very large cage with a central "tree" perch, a few toys, clipped too hard, with a very large number of other birds of varied ages. Not surprisingly, he was quite a biter and very skittish.

So tell me about your Budgies! What do you love about Budgies? How do you keep them? What do they eat? What do they think about your other bird(s)? What toys do they favour? What do you think is absolutely essential for Budgies to have?

Budgie Geek On!

:D
-MissK
-MissK

MissK

Re: A Thread For Budgie Fans

Post by MissK » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:05 pm

A dud toy turns out not so bad ~

The Budgies have had a large bead hanging from a branch in their cage since January, on a foot long cord, about chest high from the grate. They're never touched it. Recently I moved a long fir perch nearby, and today Dr. Scott is just a-trying to pull that cord down from his relocated perch. It gets better - he's standing on the grate, pounding the bead, and going up where it hangs and attacking the cord. Like all of a sudden he figured out it was there. :D

We've also discovered that Riff Raff loves fresh popcorn more than anything. (It was ugly for Dr. Scott!)

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Don't you just love when a bird discovers a toy that's been there forever like they're seeing it for the first time? :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:40 am

I love budgies! I have four of them. Phoebe and Fredrik live in one house. Skyler and Alexander live in another. This is because Phoebe and Skyler do not get along very well. They seem to be happy this way though.

Fredrik is my handsome little boy. He is a seven year old albino. Because of his albinism our vet thinks he has some vision problems and other issues. He is pretty much incapable of flight, and he cannot run, he waddles. He is extremely sweet and cuddly. He used to have a cage mate named Zoey. Zoey was my first bird, my little princess. Sadly she died in December 2011. That is when Phoebe came to live with us. Fred is in love with my Quaker parrot, Sam.

Phoebe is very interesting. She is extremely smart but very cautious. She still will not step up onto a finger from her house. Instead I pick her up with her special perch. I won't force her, it is her choice. She absolutely loves to chew on things. Her favorite toys are the small birdie pinatas. She also has an amazing talent of unlatching the budgie seed blocks and moving them around her house with out breaking them. We find them everywhere they are not supposed to be. She absolutely hates having her feet touched. She is an olive dominate pied.

Alexander is a new member of the household. He is a very shy bird. He is curious though. He loves to leave his house and climb up to the top of the window and stare outside. He loves to chew on straw-like toys. Alex is a green diluted- greywing.

Skyler is a very panicked budgie. She is very sweet, but I think her own shadow could frighten her. She was clipped when I got her and instead of flying she popped. Even with some flight feathers now, she still pops. Because of this behavior her nickname is popcorn. She likes to lay down in my hands and snuggle under my chin while watching television. Skyler is a sky blue, yellow face.

The favorite treat of my budgies is defiantly broccoli. Fred is a big fan of peas, and corn. Fruit wise, they like a little bit of apple. Phoebe loves noodles. Of course they all like millet, but they would throw it aside if broccoli is offered. :D

That is my budgie group!

-Joey's Mom
-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:59 am

It's great to hear about your Budgie flock! I'd love to see a photo of Alexander, in case you have solved the mystery of what mutation Dr. Scott has.......

Thanks for the suggestion of broccoli - I confess the Budgies tend to get what the Ringneck is having, and he isn't a broccoli fan. We'll retry it!

Skye's_crew, isn't it the truth. I swear Rocky had his bell six months before I heard it ring!

-MissK
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:39 am

I must confess...twice now I have gone back to look at two pale blue English Budgies that I absolutely adore. MissK firmly planted the seed in my head. Give me a lesson in everything I need to know about budgies. I had a parakeet when I was little, other than that its been finches and larger birds. I need to make a decision soon before they are gone :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:37 am

I've been looking at English budgies... there are a bunch of babies at the Bird store 10 minutes from my work... admittedly, sometimes I go down there in the middle of the day to coo over babies.
(There are also a whole bunch of cockatiel babies and I want one. They are SO SOFT!!!)
But my boyfriend and I agree that one baby is enough right now... maybe next year :)

ranechild

Post by ranechild » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:41 am

Just now I was reading another thread...
Right now there is NO room for any more birds. That's what hubby said. But I still think there's room if I just wiggle two cages a bit closer and don't worry about opening the closet in that room
Hmmm... I wonder who said that....

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

Some Budgie Info:

I know that English budgies are bigger than "American" budgies. Mine are not English but as far as I know the personality is pretty much the same. I have done a lot of reading on budgies (and some experience :wink: ). The English budgie is about 10-20 grams heavier than the "American".

Budgies do have a preference for seed. They are notorious for being "seed only" eaters. But this does not have to be the case. Even though my budgies do eat a lot of seed, it does not make up all of their diet. Budgies love grains, egg, fruit, and especially veggies. Mine are big broccoli fans, but they also like most of the green veggies. They also enjoy seed sprouts. Some people even have success feeding pellets. It all depends on the budgie and their owner!

Budgies like to bathe. Some (like my Fredrik) prefer to soak in a tub. Some budgies like to roll around in wet cabbage or lettuce leaves. A bathing budgie is one of the cutest things. I occasionally make a special treat I call a Broccoli Bath. I fill a small tub with lettuce leaves, then sprinkle in chunks of broccoli. What follows is very interesting. :D

Although they are small, budgies have very big personalities. Budgies are very curious and love to play. They all have different play styles. Some like mirrors and bells, while others love to shred things. They also do not understand that they are a small bird. I think Fred believes he is as large as my Quaker. They are very spunky little birds. Budgies are also excellent fliers. They are very fast.

They have a lovely (in my opinion) chirp. I love listening to them talk to each other during the day. Even their high pitched squeaks and squawks I find enjoyable. It lets me know they are happy. Of course, some budgies can talk. They can also be very friendly and love to snuggle. If they are trained/tamed they will go on your finger and enjoy just being with you. Of course, separation of cage mates normally results in contact calling.

One thing I have noticed is that they tend to have night-frights. Every once in a while I hear them get into a panic and start thrashing about. A small night light seems to help this. I love my budgies and enjoy their company! They really are wonderful little birds!

-Joeys Mom

Edit: I will post a picture of Alexander later :)
-Joey's Mom

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:29 pm

ranechild wrote:Just now I was reading another thread...
Right now there is NO room for any more birds. That's what hubby said. But I still think there's room if I just wiggle two cages a bit closer and don't worry about opening the closet in that room
Hmmm... I wonder who said that....

I have no idea what you're talking about :roll:

I was actually thinking about finally completing the enclosed lanai outside and putting the budgies out there. Can they tolerate the temp going down to 55 at night in the winter?

Thank you JoeysMom...that was very insightful. Exactly what does happen in a lettuce and broccoli bath lol.

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:00 pm

During the broccoli bath the budgies "bob" for broccoli. They also become really excited. Sometimes this excitement goes a little to far. Fred nearly was drowned by his partner (he wasn't really near death). Zoey had flipped Fredrik over on his back, stood on his tummy, and continued to eat the broccoli :shock: . He was like a Fred island in the middle of lettuce and floating broccoli. By the time the bath is done, there is broccoli and lettuce everywhere. Sometimes a budgie will emerge coated in broccoli bits. Then they will preen and eat (best of both worlds, right?) It can be messy, but they love it so much! :mrgreen:

I am not sure about the temperature. Some do okay with the cooler temps, others do not. Mine are kept inside, so I have little information on the subject.
-Joey's Mom

ranechild

Post by ranechild » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:47 pm

I know Camo the QP can survive at 55 degrees. We had some cold times last winter.... One morning I woke up and the door had blown open-- 48 degrees in the living room.
Budgie... Dunno

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Here is Alex. He does not like the camera. He absolutely refused to turn around so I could get a picture of his back and markings.

-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:02 pm

*I am under the impression that 55 is OK if they have been acclimated to it over time - but for the love of goodness, don't count on me there! Note to Ranechild: Lock the door at night! :o One person at the actual Budgie forum reported seeing a small flock in SouthEast TExas, and we know they live in Florida, somewhere.

*Bathing in your food - warm chocolate bath, anyone? Actually, my two had a bath in their kale today - as it was hanging there. They had to take turns and got surprisingly wet. All those nooks and crannies hold a lot of water, to a Budgie. They have also a hang on cage Canary type bath (second hand from a Canary, go figure!) and while I see them hop in to drink, I've never yet seen them bathe there. :P

*If you want those two blue English ones, you better get them in the morning. "Being Strong" isn't the only reason I didn't get that white one. :oops: Glad to see you coming to your senses....... :lol:

Joey'sMom, thanks for the run down. I was very interested to hear they are prone to night fright! Riff Raff had a series of them, all on just one night. I was concerned there was an unauthorized creature in the house scaring her! She busted right out of the cage through her bathtub! I left a light on for her that night, but only just then. She has not been troubled again, that I know of.

About keeping Budgies, I would add that it seems sensible to me to arrange their cage with as much care as you would that of a larger, so called "more intelligent" bird. In my opinion, it's easier to make a Budgie Paradise, since everything is smaller in scale. I noticed that my pet store baby Budgies took a long time to settle into the home and begin using the resources I provided them. However, once they did begin, I was keen to note they prefer the stuff I made them out of natural and "more natural" (like cotton cloth) materials over the contrived plastic stuff I thought they needed. Mine really, really like traveling on foot and beak, great acrobats, between closely placed branches/vines/ropes. A close second is shredding the "bark" from grape and kiwi vines.

I learned (a little late) that baby female Budgies are thought to exhibit a white chalkiness about the nostrils, and the males not, before they are old enough to sex by cere colour. Whether it is coincidence I cannot say, but it did hold true for my pair. I have heard it said that female Budgies are more bossy and prone to bickering, especially in same sex groups, but having what I have, I cannot speak to that. Perhaps Vinay will come by to let us know more! Also of note, for Vinay to confirm or deny, I understand that Budgies prefer to be in or near a group before their thoughts turn to making babies. Six was the magic number I heard, but wouldn't take any chances. My research indicates that wild Budgies are prompted into breeding condition *rapidly* following a good rain (which they don't always get, wild) as they enjoy the explosion of food that follows. In a caged Budgie's land of abundance, it would seem prudent to keep the flock numbers down. **I was not able to learn whether they will accept ANY flock of birds to put them in the mood, or if it must be Budgies.

As I mentioned earlier, my birds came from different pet store backgrounds. I would recommend checking the wing clip (if any) on any potential Budgie purchase. While it could come down to individual personality, I notice the one who was tragically overclipped is shy of human contact and less likely to fly, even after all this time. He also never does flapping exercises. There were many other differences, but still, that clip could not have helped any......

The vitality of a well-accommodated Budgie cannot be suppressed. It is my opinion that the presence of Budgies will soothe a headache, unless the ache was actually caused by their rowdy noise in the first place. Could go either way, sometimes. :roll: I doubt anyone keeping a Cockatoo would complain.

Last, but not least, it may be time to order a set of bumper stickers that say "My other parrot is a Budgie!"

-MIssK

Oh, and a link:
http://budgiesareawesome.blogspot.com/2 ... igars.html
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:21 am

Dr. Scott and Alexander ~

It's the same look. Dr. Scott has mostly grey flights, but there is some hint of yellow there. The purple cheek feathers are not very dark. His long tail is a blueish grey. His normal Budgie markings are in grey instead of black.

Twins!

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK

vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello everyone , I finally managed to get my eyes on the budgie thread :D

I'm Vinay and I own 20 budgies . I'm kind of a novice hobby breeder having bred 3 clutches (11 babies in total ) this year . I don't intend to breed again , I just did it to see how it is and get some experience . I really love reading about mutations and different colours . Up until now I've only read about budgies , lovebirds and tiels .I used to have 2 IRN females for about 6 years until I had to give them away :(. I got my first IRN after 4 long years about a week back , Sky who sparked up my interest in IRNs as well :p .

My flock contains both 'English' and 'American' budgies , though appropriately they should be called 'show/exhibition' and 'normal/wild-type' budgies. The exhibition ones in my opinion are calmer , being much easier to tame . Its not a given as my most tame budgie is a normal green . The bigger guys also dont bite as hard but unfortunately have shorter lifespans.

The only issue with them is that they're fearless when it comes to other birds . They're generally really cocky and curious , not being afraid to take on my lovebird, tiel and even IRNs I had in the past . One little nip and you have a missing beak or a foot . Keeping them away from my other birds is a major challenge .

Well once you have more than 4 budgies , you become open to taking on much much more . I can never seem to get enough of these little guys .

Talking about their resistance to temperature , I live in Dubai . My budgies are all housed outside in flight cage . They all seem to do fine in the heat as long as theres no direct sunlight on them and if a bowl of water for them to bathe in is provided . It can get really hot in the summer that is June , July , August , Sept at times going up to 50 plus degrees . I'd say our feral IRNs and Alexandrines do even better , breeding and thriving in these extreme conditions .

The budgie in the pic looks a light-green greywing . They usually have grey wing markings , lighter cheek patches and a diluted body colour .

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:54 am

Well, I'm so glad you could come into this thread, Vinay! :D

And I'm happy to hear Dr. Scott (and Alexander!) are dilute greywings. I had ID'd the greywing part, but didn't know how to call the lighter body colour for sure. I am going to venture to say that Riff Raff is the same type mutation, though she is grey/blue instead of yellow/green. She's grey on her back, blue-ish grey underneath. Her tail is dark grey, and I think her wings are a soft white, under the grey markings. She's so beautiful. Based on her not-blue/violet cheek patches and her grey/not blue tail, I think she is dilute grey greywing.

Actually, it's because of Riff Raff I'm keeping Budgies now! When I saw her, I simply could not leave her there.

Vinay, which would you say is louder, six Budgies or two Ringnecks? :lol:

-MissK

ALSO: Vinay will have seen this, but someone has made a fantastic Budgie Mutation Guide - http://cutelittlebirdiesaviary.weebly.c ... guide.html
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:51 am

Wow...so many budgie mutations. Cool :D I went to the store last night and the two English were gone, but there is a new little white and blue pied baby I like. I'm working the hubby as we speak. Ill let you know if he gives in. It may mean giving up my lutino alexandrine this upcoming breeding season. We are in negotiations :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Wow.

One more Psittacula and you'll have to learn Hindi!

Don't forget you can see a breeder for the perfect mutation. Come to think of it, so could I............. Hmmmm.

-MissK
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Pot....kettle...black

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 am

@MissK: I am glad I was able to help you identify Dr. Scott. Alex is definitely his twin. The link to the mutations guide was great. Really informative! :D

-Joeys Mom
-Joey's Mom

vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:33 pm

@ MissK : 6 budgies have nothing on 2 IRNs having a screaming match :P . Yeah , but while IRNs only screech a few times , the budgies keep chirping away all day . So at the end of the day , its about even I'd say .

@ Skyes Crew : I've always wanted an Alexandrine . I just passed up on taking a baby and I feel terrible . I felt it wouldn't be right since I only got my IRN a few days back . Get the Alexandrine ! They love licking your fingers :P

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:10 am

vinayv92 wrote:@ MissK : 6 budgies have nothing on 2 IRNs having a screaming match :P . Yeah , but while IRNs only screech a few times , the budgies keep chirping away all day . So at the end of the day , its about even I'd say .

@ Skyes Crew : I've always wanted an Alexandrine . I just passed up on taking a baby and I feel terrible . I felt it wouldn't be right since I only got my IRN a few days back . Get the Alexandrine ! They love licking your fingers :P
Oh I know lol. I already have one pet alexandrine and just recently came into some breeding pairs. But I have my eye on Lutino's and my husband has set limits. So as much as I want the budgies I think I'm going to hold off for now. My three cockatiel breeding pairs are coming into season and ill have my hands full soon with them and then it's on to psittacula breeding season. Why did you pass on the Alex? They are such sweet companions. My boy is very quiet. Loves to be with the family. He's not bothered by a lot of activity at all. Such a wonderful species. :D

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:42 pm

A budgie thread! Cool! I'm another big fan.

I first fell for budgies (apparently) when I was two years old, and we went to visit an old man who had a pair of them. My parents said I could have one when I turned six, and I kept reminding them until my sixth birthday! I can still remember the excitement of going to the breeder and picking out my fat little blue boy, Budge (not the most imaginative name I know, but hey, I was six). My mum has kept a poem I wrote about him in Grade 1, which clearly shows it was love at first sight.

Budge lived with my family for fourteen years. He was the only real pet we ever had (goldfish etc notwithstanding), so he was absolutely part of the family. He had an enormous, eccentric vocabulary, and many quirky habits which kept everyone entertained (including enjoying a "silverbeet bath"!) For a little guy, the contribution he made to our household was enormous. He was there for our whole crazy journey through childhood to adulthood, and my brother and I had both left home by the time he crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

I tell this story to reinforce that budgies should not be underestimated! They have a way of getting into your heart that you wouldn't expect for a little, apparently inconsequential pet. The budgie story in our family has just started a new chapter, as my father-in-law (not usually a pet lover) has recently inherited a budgie called Scruffy from a friend, and is completely besotted with him. The irresistible charm of the budgie strikes again!

Our own household is currently well above its quota of critters (no, really, I couldn't possibly :) ), but if a space ever opened up, a budgie would definitely be a contender to fill it.

MissK

Post by MissK » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Great story, Jen!

We, uh..... We want the poem!

-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:19 pm

I second that!! We want the poem :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:33 am

Yes. Jen, share your poem! I can't handle the antici.....pa......Tion

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:46 am

:lol:
-MissK

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:27 pm

Ok, you asked for it...six-year-old Jen combining her love of birds and love of words for the first time....

Budge is mine, he is cute
He is not a little brute
Budge is mine, he's divine
And he's so, so kind.

It was accompanied by a crayon drawing that did look something like a budgie, although nothing to rival recent artistic efforts posted on the forum! :)

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:49 pm

Aw that's so cute! I love it.

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:04 pm

I love it, too, and it's really very good! It says more than it says, you know? Better than I did at six! (Nothing extant, so don't ask.)_
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:22 am

Aww Jen that's too cute :D

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:36 am

Thanks guys :)

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:30 am

Dr. Scott comes into his own~

Today I realize Dr. Scott has experienced some kind of shift in perspective. Recently he started beating up on a hanging bead, that I told you about. Today I caught him beating up on his swing! This was really funny. It's about 8 inches long, hangs from the standard two vertical wires, swings just back and forth, not one of those crazy all over the place ones. He was just hanging on the wall and bopping it for all he was worth.

And he has taken a more energetic interest in the beads and balls I have integrated in one of the slack cord perches. He came from the pet store in January, so he's not quite a year old yet. I had kind of expected him to be all grown up by now, but I guess he wasn't!

Rock on, Dr. Scott!
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:40 am

Riff Raff expresses her opinion~

Yesterday my IRN, Rocky, was again investigating the Budgie cage. I have an extra cage grate on top the Budgie cage to put some extra space between them when Rocky comes to visit, but seems it needs to be increased.........

Rocky was on top the cage, making a mild display and singing the "I'm justa crazy Ringneck Boy" song for Riff Raff. Little Riff was inside, looking up at him, making a little sound I am not used to hearing from her, little soft tweets, kind of, and I thought she was flirting with him.

"Great", I thought, "the love that was not allowed to be." They could not reach far enough to get their beaks together, so Rocky stuck his foot in towards Riff Raff.

That's when she bit him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocky did let out a squawk, and I shooed him away. Guess I'm going to be raising that grate. Also, I had an idea for a Ringneck-proof barrier around the Budgies. I've had a few thoughts on this, but nothing I really wanted to put into practice. Now I'm thinking clear shower curtain! I can hang it from the grate on top the cage, which is bigger than the top, so it stands away from the actual cage, safe from nibbles. Then when Rocky is out, I can just draw it around the Budgies. OK, it needs work. But I think it's the best idea yet.
-MissK

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Oh Missk, why did you start a budgie thread :wink: ! Will I ever own those wonderful cuteys again, sigh.....

Just recently I was sitting outdoors next to Kiwi and Coco's cages, when suddenly out of nowhere I see a green budgie on the floor next to the cages eating the bits of dropped food around! Where did this budgie come from! No idea, I didn't see it landing right next to me, like it dropped from the sky! I put more seed out for him and he kept on eating and I managed to towel him and put him in a small cage, my previous budgies cage. He was such an active little dude, always busy, eating, playing, singing etc. He would even tunnel under the newspaper that lined the cage! I kept him for 2 days and on the 3rd day I put the cage out in the sun and guess what he did after a while! He opened the cage door himself and flew away :( . That was the end of that clever little bird, and my hopes of having budgies finally, hope he went back to his home.

Ash

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:24 am

It's not a bad little story, your Budgie who came to visit! :D

And you know that's probably how he came to be wandering around in the first place. He might go home, and then, he might come back.

I don't want to make trouble, but you know it's very easy to keep a Budgie..... And they're everywhere..... it's as easy as going out and finding the one you love......
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Oh dear, I really shouldn't follow this thread. I want a pair of budgies now!
Dave has already taught Nila a couple words in budgie, so Nila would be able to talk to them a little.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm

See what you have done to us MissK? :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Don't blame the messenger.
-MissK

Melika

Post by Melika » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 am

For skeptical parrot owners who've never had budgies: Can budgies talk? Oh yes, yes indeed they can. Meet the bird with the largest known vocabulary in the world. 8)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am

Would that be disco by any chance :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:44 am

The Noise Level Rises ~

Wow, what a morning with the Budgies today!!!! I kept them up late last night, and have implemented an "early dawn" in the Living Room to provide a 13 hour day for the Ringneck as winter shortens our natural day. Perhaps it is for this reason, or perhaps something else, that they are so noisy today.

I gave them wet leaves to quiet them down, but it didn't last.

It's hard to know what's happening in the Budgie cage. Dr. Scott clearly is infatuated with his mirror. Riff Raff obviously feels in charge of the entire cage. They were sitting today as far from each other as possible, and yet I just saw a little kissing going on. They're both doing more flapping and flying than I seem to think is customary. Their cage is spacious, but I wonder if they want more.

And what's up with this - Dr. Scott seems to always be having his head fluffed up and squawking about something lately, while Riff Raff seems more chilled, with her head and body smooth. He likes to sit with his cheek on his mirror. Sometimes I think the good Doctor is just crazy.

Last night, during Rocky's bedtime soliloquey, I swear I head a Budgie sound. I wonder what ancient memories of Budgies in his past are brought forward by sharing the room with Riff Raff and Dr. Scott.
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:43 pm

I think you should have been a writer :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Heeeeeey, what is this I'm doing here?

-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 pm

Not getting paid....that's what :D

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:05 am

MissK wrote:It's not a bad little story, your Budgie who came to visit! :D

And you know that's probably how he came to be wandering around in the first place. He might go home, and then, he might come back.

I don't want to make trouble, but you know it's very easy to keep a Budgie..... And they're everywhere..... it's as easy as going out and finding the one you love......
You right Missk, he was exactly the same colour as my Cocky was, and Cocky lay buried next to a rose bush just next to where this budgie came out of nowhere!

Yes, I know its very easy to keep a budgie, but with Kiwi having the entire bird room as his and Coco's cage, I will have to get a very spacious one for my budgies, and that is out of my budget at the moment.

Yes, you should be a writer, Missk

Ash

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:57 am

MissK wrote:The Noise Level Rises ~

Wow, what a morning with the Budgies today!!!! I kept them up late last night, and have implemented an "early dawn" in the Living Room to provide a 13 hour day for the Ringneck as winter shortens our natural day. Perhaps it is for this reason, or perhaps something else, that they are so noisy today.

I gave them wet leaves to quiet them down, but it didn't last.

It's hard to know what's happening in the Budgie cage. Dr. Scott clearly is infatuated with his mirror. Riff Raff obviously feels in charge of the entire cage. They were sitting today as far from each other as possible, and yet I just saw a little kissing going on. They're both doing more flapping and flying than I seem to think is customary. Their cage is spacious, but I wonder if they want more.

And what's up with this - Dr. Scott seems to always be having his head fluffed up and squawking about something lately, while Riff Raff seems more chilled, with her head and body smooth. He likes to sit with his cheek on his mirror. Sometimes I think the good Doctor is just crazy.

Last night, during Rocky's bedtime soliloquey, I swear I head a Budgie sound. I wonder what ancient memories of Budgies in his past are brought forward by sharing the room with Riff Raff and Dr. Scott.
It is like a budgie soap opera! I hear budgie sounds all the time from birds that are not budgies (yes I am looking at you, Joey and Sam). I think sometimes when the budgies get in the mood and start kissing they become embarrassed when they notice they are being watched. Skyler will smack Alex across the beak like, "Ew! Get away! I did not give you permission to touch me!!".

I think the fluffy head and squawking is a male thing. Both Fred and Alex do this. It can get so loud between the two of them, you would think I had twenty budgies (that would be awesome, btw).

I love the budgie stories, Missk! :lol: :D

-Joeys Mom
-Joey's Mom

vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 am

It can get so loud between the two of them, you would think I had twenty budgies (that would be awesome, btw).
Hahaha well I have 20 budgies and trust me , they're LOUD. I have a peachfaced lovebird who also sounds exactly like budgie albeit 3 times louder :P . Throw in 2 cockatiels and an IRN screaming and thats my flat :D . Its impossible for me to sleep after 5 am :| .

I've also noticed that budgie males love the company of each other much more than any of the girls . Even my most bonded pairs seem to split up in a flock forming duos and trios of boys jumping around . :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Thank you, Joey's Mom.

I just don't want Rocky practicing an annoyed Budgie noise at his volume!

Vinay, I will *not* have 20 Budgies. You cured me!
-MissK

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:57 am

MissK wrote:Thank you, Joey's Mom.

Joey has not reached the same level of screaming that Sammy, the Quaker has. You can hear Sammy doing the "annoyed budgie" noise outside the house. Sam and Fredrik also contact call with each other.

Having nothing to do with budgies or Ringnecks, a while back I bird-sat a macaw down the street from me. Very nice, sweet bird. Then one day he got excited to see me, opened his beak and, omg. I nearly ran for the hills. Wow. :shock:
-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:39 am

A monster, huh?
-MissK

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 am

Yes. I thought the windows were going to shatter. :lol:
-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 am

The Budgies are Movin' On Up ~

As some may know, I've been "keeping my eyes open" for a second Ringneck or an Alexandrine for some time - about a year, now. I've had that second flight cage just hanging around, and you know an empty cage has to be filled! After the recent disappointment in not bringing home the Alexandrine I've posted about, and passing on various others, I've pretty much decided to stop looking. I'm sad about it, because I wanted Rocky to have a suitable companion, but I've found a way to make lemonade.

This week I decided to move the two Budgies into the five foot flight cage! How exciting this is! Riff Raff flies a lot in the cage they use now, but I long to see her in the big cage. This shift in perspective will allow me to put her there. Dr. Scott, never the big flier, will have a chance to develop himself a little less under Riff Raff's pushy little foot. The soon-to-be former Budgie cage will also serve as a substantial upgrade for my favourite Canary!

Knowing how life operates, I guess the perfect new Ringneck will fall in m,y lap by Christmas.... :? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:58 am

Yay for Riff Raff and Dr. Scott!! It'll be like a new Barbie dream house for them :lol:

That double side by side you have. Do you LOVE it? I'm contemplating the purchase as we speak.

This is the one. It just came back in stock

http://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-Co.-D ... 8B825&ltr=

ranechild

Post by ranechild » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 am

I have seen said cage in action and dude, Riff Raff and the Doctor are going to have a new Kingdom!!! it's a fabulous cage.

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi just saw this thread. I (well ok my sister) have 2 budgies. A dark combat english budgie and a sky-blue standard budgie. OMG, they are too cute and sweet. :D
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Well, you might have guessed after I suggest to everyone that they consider this cage that I do, in fact, LOVE it. :lol:

I've mentioned the drawbacks, and I could give you a reminder if you like. Chief is the fact that only the large front doors have locks, so you're on your own for locking the rest if you feel they need locking. For IRN, yes, please. Second is the way that the (unused) divider channel is a magnet for detritus. I have read that someone fixed this by covering it with a strip of something they got at the home improvement warehouse. You're on your own there. I just let it get cruddy and clean it now and then. I know I had a third complaint but can't think of what it was, so you know it was really, really bothersome (not!). The last thing is that, being me, I wish it were bigger still! There is a taller option I really would prefer, but, you know, $$$$$. **NB: the stand is integrated, so there is no taking it off the stand and stacking it unless you use a hacksaw.

You should evaluate the bar thickness for the bird you might intend to house. For IRN it is perfect, but Cockatoo would laugh at it. When I asked around, recall, people felt it was on the line for Alexandrine, depending mostly on if the bird felt like tearing it up or not. This suggested to me that it might not be 100% reliable for Alexandrine beak strength.

The assembly instructions are more like a line drawing of the assembled product, but I did it twice, so you can too. Would be even easier if you had a friend, but I did not.

OH, and shop for price. There seems to be a great price range, and I wouldn't want you to be paying too much. The link you posted seemed fine. I think that's what I paid for my second one. I did get an unusually sweet deal on the first, especially since it was local and I think the seller got it right off the boat from China.

If I can get off my fat butt early mornings this week, I plan to go out and harvest some grape and kiwi vines for the interior. The Budgies really like de-barking those, and I suppose it's time to do some pruning anyway. I know Budgies are more grassland creatures, but I'm planning a jungle for them. It's back to the drawing board for guarding their toeses and noses from a visiting Ringneck, so they probably won't go in this week.

Has anybody got any experience presenting birdseed in one of those outside hanging feeders? It's not jungly, but I'm really hoping to feed in the center of the cage to contain the seed mess in the pan this time. Sadly, my branches are not thick enough to drill a hole for coop cups. Maybe some strategically placed cable ties........
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 pm

I remember the conversation well now...I swear I'm going senile lol.

I saw this cage a little less somewhere else...but it was the 27" inside height one. The one I want to order is 37" inside height. I'm not sure I plan on using the divider at all. I just want the width for flight. A place to let my babies get some exercise after they fledge. I tried to talk chris into letting all the babies practice flight in the house, but that was a no go :lol: and I really don't want to build any more cages. I want something I can break down for off season and clean and put away. I may hold off a bit longer though, because they only have it in black and I REALLY want the platinum. :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Definitely get the 37", unless you can afford the one that is top to bottom cage, with no shelf. Isn't that funny how we all have a preference. I wanted the black, really didn't want the platinum, and ended up getting the dark green because it was the cheapest. Guess that's because it was being discontinued. I'm definitely a lemonade girl, though, because once it was installed in the yellow room, holding the green bird, I decided green was ideal. :lol: I am so easy. The canaries are in black, in a white room, and I think it goes well. But I like black fine. Some people hate it. All my travel cages are white, and guess what........ I wish they were black! Or stainless, I guess. But white won't show the poop, if you have it. I guess that's at once a good and a bad thing. The trays are white, though, so if you get white you won't have that jarring colour clash. (Suddenly realizing he never touches the trays so I *could* paint them....hmmmm)
-MissK

Melika

Post by Melika » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 am

I used to feed the aviary birds from an outdoor bird feeder. I had it sitting on the floor of the raised aviary, but I don't see why you couldn't hang it and give them a perch or two to stand on and feed. I didn't want to make them try and land on the rim of the feeder, since the space was so narrow. It was very convenient!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:39 am

That must really be a nice big budgie cage :D . Mine live in a house I created from two cages (and other cage parts). It is an interesting cage. But the budgies seem to like it. All four of them are on the cage in this picture, but really this is just Fred and Phoebe's house, Skyler and Alex were just visiting. I don't see Phoebe in the pic, but I know she is on the cage. :lol:

Oh yes. And I can say that pretty much every toy on that cage is played with on a daily basis. It is a little overwhelming isn't it? :shock:
Attachments
untitled.JPG
-Joey's Mom

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 am

It's budgie wonderland!! :D it's fabulous!!

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:44 pm

WOW, it really *IS* a Budgie Wonderland! I was looking for big, swirly lollipops!

I've gone the complete opposite way for Riff Raff and Dr. Scott in their new big cage. It's all natural-jungley with branches and vines, though I also brought in their ropes and perches, etc from the old cage (which was no slouch either).....

I put them in there for the first time today, since I had the day to spend watching how they get on. It was pretty quiet for the first hour or so, but they've finally sprung into action now. They've nibbled their kale, checked out the new layout, had some seeds, and Riff Raff located the water. Dr. Scott is just now explaining his feelings about it all to his mirror.

Since the big cage is laid end to end with Rocky's big cage, I took the small precaution of building a little privacy wall with a perch high up where the cages meet. I want the little guys to have a safe retreat. I made it out of three of those flat wood slab perches you may have seen in the rodent section at Petco. I bolted them to hang down from the ceiling in a row.

In a different spot of the wall where the cages meet I put a food dish in each cage. They can eat together as a flock if they like and, if they don't, then they can use a different feed dish at the other end. Rocky made quite a fuss when I put them in their cage. He repeated a somewhat shrill call until I could stand no more and threw a few pistachios into his oatmeal box for foraging. That took care of the problem and he has since moved on to that pesky almond in the shell he just can't seem to crack. :lol:

Now that I've put Budgies in the big cage I have a lifetime supply of Ringneck sized cage bits hanging around in a box. :roll: Maybe Rocky will use them in a decade or so.....
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 am

Settling in~

Now most of a day later the Budgies are settling in to the new cage nicely. I'm no longer worried that proximity to the Ringneck will upset them as Riff Raff has started hanging out on the Rocky side of her privacy wall. Rocky, in turn, is spending some time trying to squeeze through his bars to get to the Budgie side of things. Dr. Scott, well, he has his mirror.

Riff Raff took a more extended flight just now. I guess it was three and a half feet, maybe. She looked a little awkward, but she's a very strong flyer and I know she'll be comfortable doing it in her cage soon. Dr. Scott made an amazing vertical drop from a rope perch to a vine below. Very impressive. I'm hoping the longer space will encourage him with the flying. He can do it, of course, but he's not very good at it and prefers to hop. I blame the pet store, with no small amount of hostility.

The Canary took to his new cage mostly with good grace. He did look a little nervous yesterday, but negotiated the extra space and new perch levels like a pro. He's eating his carrot shreds right now; what a trooper. Most of my perches didn't work for the Remendado because his feet are so small. Also, he's old and somewhat less robust. His balance is a little iffy sometimes. I'm going to have to consider his environment a work in progress. He is my last Canary as I have given the other to a friend.
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:52 pm

A New Budgie! ~

This evening I brought home an Albino Budgie. I sat in my hand no less that 45 minutes, unrestrained, napping. After 45 minutes it made some investigatory nibbles and hopped to the perch to stand NEXT TO my hand. In another minute I nudged it slightly and it stepped up, where it now remains, on my finger.

It definitely IS sleepy time so I can't take any credit. It's very exciting, though!
-MissK

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:41 pm

I have thought about getting a budgie to be a friend for my IRN. Something tells me the big pet store budgies wont' be that great... Also.. I wonder if I can take a bird -back- to the store.. even if I don't want my money back. I'd love to give it a 2 or 3 week try and see how my current bird takes it.... But i'm guessing that there's nothing tame about those store budgies. Also I have stood and watched those store budgies through the glass cases they're kept in. Many of those birds seem bonded already. I can't imagine separating them intentionally even if they are just living in a pet store on display.

Another concern is lifespan. The budgie won't live as long as the IRN. I would hate for my IRN to become a long term friend of the budgie only for the budgie to die eventually while the IRN would live a number of years more without his friend.

For this reason I'm also considering keeping myself as the IRN's only real friend. I've heard taking on a second bird becomes twice as much work too. All the work I've done with my current bird; I can't imagine re-doing it with another bird who would have new quirks that I would need to learn and adapt to.

I've been told to get a budgie or a cockatiel but not work with it.. just let it be buddies with my current bird, but I don't think it's in my nature to do that.

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 am

I noticed a strong difference between pet store Budgies depending on the store environment. Ethically, I think they are more questionable than direct from breeder. However, you also have to consider the Budgie is to be a pet for you, too. So I would advise against unless you want one. Or two. I think it would be reasonable for a Budgie to fear the IRN, at least initially. If you get a Budgie and do not tame it you do yourself a disservice. As to lifespan, consider that not every individual lives to the average lifespan - that's why it's an average. Your Budgie may live long; your IRN may perish early. If it's such a strong concern, consider a cockatiel. Um, again, if YOU like them.
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:48 am

Congrats on your new friend, missk! What a little sweety!
Is it going to live with riffraff and dr scott? You might need another to balance things out now... slippery slope.

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:29 am

Oh, dear goodness, is s/he a sweetie!

S/he looked frightened and frozen in place all night and when we got up this morning. I had her/him in the bedroom with me and the dogs, with a cover, across the room. So scared, I think. I broke quarantine for a few minutes and brought the travel cage into the living room, all the way across the room, for a quick look at the other Budgies to reassure her/him, and it worked well. S/he started moving around and trying to figure out the food bowl you have to stick your head into. Now s/he's back in the bedroom with improved food bowls.

I did hold her/him some more, and got some reluctant stepping between fingers. S/he is SO TALENTED with the climbing around the cage, using the rope, hanging from the ceiling, etc.

Magenta is destined to go in the flight cage with the others. If it is a problem to start I can use the divider. There is, indeed, another bird I saw at the store and liked, but it didn't pass the vent inspection. I asked them to quarantine and medicate it for me. We'll see how that goes. As best I can figure it is a dilute, mottled or pied, gold face. I usually only like the symmetrically coloured ones, but this individual was pretty cool. So many colours. I read, if I have correctly ID'd the type, that successive molts may bring on more and more clear feathers, losing that oddly appealing look. I'll check back on him next Monday, I guess.
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:29 am

Have I told you that I love that you named an albino magenta? It goes with the red theme :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 am

Yeah, that sealed it, regardless of the gender.

I bet s/he learns to shoot magic, transforming laser rays from those eyes! RIght now, though, soooo sleeeeepy. :P
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:17 am

No, lol, I meant ruby...garnet...and now magenta :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:06 am

Skyes_Crew, Oh, hahahaha! I didn't think of that!

I was thinking more Rocky, Dr. Scott, Riff Raff, MAGENTA!

Anyway, speaking of Magenta, s/he had a bit of a fly around the house just now. S/he flies like one of those tipsy little butterflies..... I got her/him to step up a number of times, just generally not long enough to transport back to the cage and get passed in. Ultimately, I closed my hand around her/him, but s/he didn't mind much. S/he got out in the first place because I was hanging my arm in the cage, keeping the door open. Once I got her/him back to the cage, it was belly up to the food dish and eating like s/he hadn't seen food in a week.

And speaking of the food...... This little bird looked so healthy when I got her/him home. Eyes and nares clear and clean, vent pristine and droppings were perfect. Today I think the dropping might be a little sticky. I saw several pooping motions that were not followed by any poop - positive of this as s/he was in my hand at the time. Also now that I see some preening attention paid to the vent area I'm paranoid.

There is some poop with a green overtone, but it is the same green of the pellets in the pet store food. I had them send a little home with me so baby wouldn't starve while figuring out our house food. Magenta does seem interested in our house blend, though, so maybe there is just some internal adjustment going on. I want to offer greens, but not sure if this would just make it worse. S/he is drinking fine. I just watched her/him at the water bowl and it was just like a dog, lappa-lappa-lappa! OMG, so cute.

Now s/he is on a perch, having flown, eaten, and drunk, chewing her/his beak and closing the eyes and fluffing for sleep. I'm going to put a warm lamp on her/him since I don't think it could hurt, and a towel on the back of the cage, maybe a hint of supplemental humidity. I'm hoping we're just having transition uneasiness.

Please share your thoughts~!
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Maybe Magenta just misses Columbia!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm no budgie expert...I haven't had them in a looooong time lol. But droppings are known to change with several factors. Environment, food, stress, and sickness. I think we can leave the last one off since she came from the store looking pristine. If you're mixing her new food with the old, it will change the color, and may cause a bit of upset, but shouldn't throw it off too much. I would hold off on the greens until she is back to normal poops. If she was slightly dehydrated, ie...didn't drink too much last night, combined with new environment, that can cause ghost pooping. Just keep an eye on her, but I'm sure she's fine :) where are our budgie experts????

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Thank you! I'll put my money on not drinking last night, but s/he is making up for it now, definitely made friends with the water bowl. I think s/he is, ultimately, fine, but you know - I like perfection. I don't think a Budgie expert is needed; a general lil birdie expert will do (that's you). S/he seems content, and certainly isn't suffering. All the birdies look pretty happy today, in fact. :D
Last edited by MissK on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm

What's not to be happy about...they all have a cute new budgie to get to know :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:16 pm

I hope this is an appropriate place to share this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZYA3NRCHyQ
It's a cute budgie story

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:53 pm

That was certainly an uplifting video about a family supporting their little injured Budgie friend. I did notice, however, that the bird's gender appeared to change..... Still, it was a great video. I bet they could make a nice one about my Budgies, too!
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Some Concern for Little Magenta ~

Magenta worries me. I think everyone has this issue when they bring home a new bird. First she made some funny poo, and then no poo, and then the poo seemed fine. So I'm OK with the poo, although now the pristine little butt is dirty. :(

S/He's a horrible flyer, no talent at all, unless as an airshow comedian. The wings are all fine, not clipped, but s/he flies like a tipsy butterfly. I'm hoping with practice this will fix up, so not horribly worried about that either.

It turns out, though, I think Magenta might be............ (shhh).......... Stupid. As in, too stupid to eat! Now, I know the bird eats, since we had that discussion about the poo. Poo starts with food. I'm offering the food s/he got at the pet store, the blend I use at home, the Canary's blend from home, AND a little dish of pellet and grain mush. You would think this bird could find something to eat, but s/he just kept trying to pick up words off the cage liner.

So I laid down plain, white paper towels and let her/him have a second try. The bird is now beak-down in a dish of the food I offer my birds here at home. I see picking; I see some sort of chewing, and s/he acts like s/he hasn't eaten in a year. It makes me wonder just how long s/he's been away from the breeder and how long s/he has been offered an unrecognizable food. I'm sure Petsmart keeps records, but will they tell me?

I see myself spending a quiet evening at home separating the seeds of my mix to offer in separate bowls tomorrow. It makes me wonder, in the back of my head, if I have enough bowls! Now that would be something, if *I* didn't have enough bowls. But I definitely want to use the clear plastic ones because, as I said, I think s/he might otherwise be too stupid to find the food!

In other regards, Magenta is thoroughly charming, stepping not too reluctantly to my finger, staying in my hand, and performing all sorts of very impressive acrobatics. (If a girl, I might have to rename her Claire....) I had thought to keep the bird for quarantine in my travel cage, which is as large as some people's Budgies get their whole entire lives. Buuuuuut, I guess you know I couldn't do that, so I've moved her/him to the Canary's old 30x18, with some natural hanging branches. What has it been, like a day and a half, and little Magenta (or Claire) has me setting up luxurious custom cages and picking apart bird food seed by seed!
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Claire sounds very high maintenance :wink:

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm

:lol: Maybe I should call Dave in here to help me deal.

S/he prefers the white millet, second choice pearl millet, third canary grass. There doesn't seem to be a fourth choice, and the poo is now thick, sticky, and looks black. A smear shows it is actually chocolate brown. Mmmm! S/he has figured out the special light is heat, but not that s/he should try a perch near it. When I place her/him on the perch s/he's happy.

Sooooo high maintenance.................
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 pm

And you're loving every minute of it :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Oh dear, I am not sure how to take a slightly dim budgie being named for me.... But I am a bit of a ditz and am definitely pretty high maintenance, so I guess it is appropriate :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Well, sure, now that I found out how to feed her/him! I put in a chunky spray millet- easily three times the size of the bird. S/he is sleeping by it, waking up to attack it, and sleeping again. It's really funny how the little sprig on the far end wobbles like crazy when the bird is chewing the close end....... And it's so cute watching her/him come up to speed on a natural swinging branch. Clutches that jute hanger like s/he's always done it. S/he's a dardevil, for real.

Claire, it's the highest compliment. You should just *SEE* her/him hang upside-down by a toe and make that vertical drop, turning around by sheer magic and winding up sideways on something else. It's amazing. And s/he can *learn* how to eat...... But, still might be a boy, we'll know later.

Ahh. The end of the last vacation day, surrounded by little birdies having their last snack of the night, and snoozing mutts.
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:38 pm

I think it's a compliment too!! You're being compared to a natural aerial artist :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Lol something for me to aspire to! How cool.

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I need to see a picture of this new budgie, MissK!!! I love albino budgies. My budgie, Fredrik is an albino. He is my sweet little boy.

It has been a little bit since I have been on here, but I read through the posts. Just so you know, albinos can tend to be a little, ummm... slow.

For instance, Fred cannot run. He has a distinct waddle. There is nothing wrong with his structure, his vet says. Fredrik also cannot fly. He has no concept that there could be things in front of him. This probably stems from possible vision problems. He may be close to blind :( . Freddy also chews the air :roll:. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. Fred will be sitting contently on his perch, then suddenly he will start randomly chewing the air in front of him. The vet thinks his issues are neurological, probably from the albinism.

But all of these things make my special Freddy. And I love him. :D <3
-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Joeys Mom! Long time!

Thanks for the heads-up. Little Magenta has finally figured out to perch under the heat lamp, thank goodness, and seems to be eating a little better since I put the food right on the floor. (I'm happy to report those poops are looking normal again, too....) Probably raised on millet.

I read that albinos may have some thinner feathering as youngsters. Do you find that Fredrik outgrew this? Magenta has demonstrated a fine ability to land, and to, um, evade my fingers, as well as execute unmatched feats of climbing. I'm so glad I observed these things before your warning scared the pants off me! :lol:

As to appearance, here is a small Budgie, quite fluffy, and pretty much all white. There is a black speck of some kind, just a speck, on the wing feather and I eagerly wait to know if it is colour or dirt. I'm suspecting dirt, but it looks so much part of the feather. I didn't think an albino could have colour, but some reading on the internet leads me to think it could happen after all. The cere has a light pink-purple-blue thing going on, with no white in the nares. Um.... yellow beak, pink feet, loooong toes. Red eyes currently squeezed tight shut except when one glares at me. I should go to bed!
-MissK

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:38 pm

It sounds to me like you have a little boy! Fred has purple/pink/blue cere. Sorry my warning scared you :wink: . I'm sure Fred's age could have something to do with that too, he about 7 1/2 years old. Albinos can have a little bit of coloring. Sometimes you may notice a slight shadowing on the wings and such, but it can be very hard to see. They also have a very pretty florescent color that appears on their cheeks and on their tummy and backside. Fred's is a very lovely greenish blue. You can see it well when you take a picture of them, or view them under a bright light (but watch out for those albino eyes!) :D

I am glad that Magenta is eating and the poops are looking better!!! :D
-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks! I was trying for a boy, but Riff Raff had the same thing going on with her cere as a baby, and she grew up to be a girl. So I have to just wait and see. I'm really glad, too, to have found the acceptable food. I guess s/he'll be getting what I consider "junk" parakeet blend from the regular store until s/he gets into the flight cage and the others can demonstrate how to eat a better seed mix and fresh foods.

I'll be checking the pet store Monday to see how the other Budgie I liked is faring.

Fred sounds fantastic. Joey's Mom, I'm going to keep you on as my Albino Expert!
-MissK

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Just as a reference here is a picture of Freddy. He has the purple/pink color/blue of the male albino cere (they are a little bit different, they don't normally turn blue like normal males). You can also see his florescent coloring around his tummy, legs, and tail in the picture.

Budgies can be so picky about their seed. But your right, once he is in with the flock he will learn what is good! I hope the other budgie is doing well. Budgies are wonderful aren't they!?!! :D
-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 am

Welcome...................... Janet? Or Frank? ~

Joeys's Mom, Fred's very pretty! I will use his picture ( a very good one! ) for reference in another week or two. I can see cere things are changing on Magenta. Thank you!

Meanwhile, I went back for that second Budgie, and they say it's a girl. The cere is still in the lavender sort of stage, but she? is definitely a little older as the barring is receding on her head. I don't know what her mutation is, and will be giving a description later. For now, let's say she definitely has a Gold Face and some kind of dilution going on. She has multiple shades of "spring green" and a chalky pastel version of maybe teal. There is a wing bar mutation as well, kinda splotchy. The cheek spots are purple, and this is the darkest colour on her besides the eye.

She is wild and scared, but a very pretty addition to my pale coloured flock of Budgies. Let's hope she knows how to eat!!!!!!!!
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Welcome home!!!! Can we PLEASE have some pics of your two new little ones. Email them to me and ill post them if its easier. I really want to see them. :D

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Skyes_crew wrote:Welcome home!!!! Can we PLEASE have some pics of your two new little ones. Email them to me and ill post them if its easier. I really want to see them. :D
I second this!

Congrats on the new budgie! She/he sounds adorable! :D
-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:27 pm

I found a photo on the web that looks a bit like Janet - I think she (?) is a Type 2 Dilute Seafoam Yellowface. She looks much like this photo, only the belly is clearly more Seafoam. I understand (now, I think) that the Seafoam is caused by the yellow of the yellow-face extending into the body and joining with the blue already there to make, what essentially is, pale blue-green.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... rQMwDjiYAg

Wow that's a big link. Hope it works......
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Oh my...that color is fabulous!!! :D

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:54 pm

What a beautiful budgie! :D
-Joey's Mom

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:25 am

Posting for MissK!

zentoucan

Post by zentoucan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:53 am

I notice that there is a mention of English and American budgerigars. but to my understanding all budgerigars originally come from Australia. so why is there no mention of Australian Budgerigars.
FYI: Budgerigar means "good to eat" in the aborigine language.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:57 am

Awwww.... sooo cute! The second picture is adorable! I want some! And so does rocky, by the look of things.

Errm, sorry for the gushing.

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 am

InTheAir ~ Don't know if you can see her, but that little greyish thing on the left is Riff Raff. in the Rocky pictures. They all just hang out like that, and it makes me feel a little mean for not putting them together. But, safety first. After another hundred years I'll get a photo of them all (4 Budgies) in the big cage together. :D

Zentoucan ~ That bothers me too. I think they should be called Budgerigar and Show Budgerigar.
-MissK

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Missk, I saw that. Sooooo cute! Watch out for those budgiexirn hybrids!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Well it's about darn time lol. Your babies are so cute :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Thank you!

And a *Big Huge* thanks to Redzone for posting those pics!

I think Riff Raff only loves him from afar because of that Big Bad Boy/Forbidden Love kinda thing...... as for him, I think he just has round heels. :roll:
-MissK

ranechild

Post by ranechild » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:17 pm

So cute! Someday I will get a budgie too... In the distant future.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:32 pm

I am going to be content to admire other people's cuties from afar. Lessons learned and all that :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Skyes_Crew~

Air mattress at standby. You wanted Snow for Christmas, didn't you? :lol:
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Ill be in Baltimore with bells on :D

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:55 pm

I really miss snow, but no snow here. Send me some by mail please :lol: . Beautiful budgies MissK!
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf

zentoucan

Post by zentoucan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:27 am

I have a story which is sad
Around 11 years ago we had a family move into the house behind us. Average family father, mother, two sons and two daughters. Anyway the youngest son (12yrs old) was into breeding and showing Budgerigars. Which he had around 30 Budgerigars and was starting to sell off the offspring to pet shops. The aviary was round 7 metres long and 2.5 metres wide and divide in two compartments. At times I would be standing on the back balcony and would look down at the Aviary and there would be this young bloke sitting inside the Aviary interacting with the budgies by talking and hand feeding them. This young bloke did this everyday for 2 to 3 hours and this is not including the morning feed and greet. He did this rain, hail or shine and had been for ten months before the tragic incident.
Sometimes I would have a bit of a chat to him about the breeding and budgerigar shows and how he was going with it. The breeding program was working and He was starting to win some of the categories.

It was a Saturday morning, I had gotten up at 6:00 am made a coffee and went out the back balcony to drink it. When I heard crying from the neighbor yard. So I went to the back fence and saw the young bloke in the aviary on his knees holding two of the Budgerigars. All I could get from him was "they dead all of them dead". I rang his parents from my mobile phone and told that their young fella was very upset in the aviary and you better come and get him. Later in the day I was speaking to the father and it seems that rats had burrow into the aviary that night and killed everyone of the Budgerigars and took 18 of them. Apparently rats can sneak into the aviary climb up quietly and dispatch the sleeping birds without any noise.

The father blamed himself because his son had been asking for him to concrete the floor of the aviary. He had been too busy with work and had just not gotten around to it. But the really sad part that the young fella never breed or showed Budgerigars again. Which was a shame because it not often that you see the kind of focus and dedication from a young bloke. Those rats not only took 18 budgerigars, they took this young bloke focus and dedication. Within the month the aviary was gone.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:47 am

That is so sad. That poor boy. I wish he had had a mentor to help pull him through :(

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Such cuties, MissK! I want to squish their little cheeks! Gently of course! :D
-Joey's Mom

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Joey'sMom-

I *know*! Hee, hee, hee!

:lol:
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:51 pm

OK MissK...I need your help. Went on a rescue today. Pulled some birds out of deplorable conditions. Two of them were, you guessed it, budgies. Ill get a pic up for you later. These two are so sweet.

Anyway, what do I need to put in their cage? I put some guava branches, and some palm fronds so far. Food recommendations? Toys? HELP!!!

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:22 am

Budgies, it is my understanding, are primarily seed eaters, so I would give them a seed mix, but please, something with a good amount of canary grass seed. I would like to see them get some fresh sprouts. Some Budgies like their fresh foods, others not so much. Offer some carrot (I give thin slices made with the peeler). Greens will go over best if you offer them wet - they'll roll around in them and then maybe eat some. Little Bluebird of Mayhem (RIP) just loved Parsley, and my guys are into their kale. If you want to give pellets, start with the tiniest size, and coloured. If they won't eat anything, you might have to give them millet, or spray millet (god's gift to budgies). Offer whatever the other birds are having fresh, in little bits, and if they like it, give more. Ease them into it, in case they never had fresh before. Kiwi sliced might prompt them to investigate if nothing else will. Expect them to sit in the food dish.

As far as housing, I suggest at least a cubic 18" per Budgie. They're probably used to the meanest type of perch, so just give them something they can get their feet around for now and upgrade as you can. As you know, I favour the natural wood stick, ropes, and natural vines. Pet store sells a metal ring covered with fringed cloths bits that they like. Please give them several perches.

Mine are *very* into nibbling the bark off stuff. They like to beak-bonk things that move and swing, and I've seen them play with their seashell. As far as purchased toys, mine don't seem too keen, but a mirror should provide some interest. Everybody says budgies like ladders. Mine don't, but they may just be odd. Mine ignore their bath, but bathe in their kale. I have some textured beads, blocks, and a cat ball woven into a rope for them and they like it, ditto any bead hanging on jute. When they were young they didn't like any toys - had to grow into it, I guess, or maybe were content to be with each other.

--Of course they're sweet! :D
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:08 am

Sad news...one did not make it :cry:

So one lonely little budgie now. He doesn't make a sound. He was locked in a dark room. I don't even know when they had eaten last. This was a very sad rescue from an animal hoarders house. I don't know why I continue to do this when it breaks my heart to see them suffer. But if I can save most of them, then it seems worth it. How can people be so cruel.

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:25 am

Well, check his little keel and feed him up with whatever he wants. It's no good feeding healthful food if the bird won't eat. Get him safe first. I'm sorry you lost one, but you know it wasn't your fault.
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:57 pm

My Budgies are doing nicely, for the most part, together. Yesterday and today I pulled the divider between the new and old for several hours. I put it back overnight and when I can't be nearby. There were a few drastic sounding spats, and I would hate to find I had made a mistake leaving the young ones in with a maybe disgruntled older one. Magenta's flight is really improving. :D
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:29 am

So sorry for the delayed response. It's been a busy day for sure. I put the little budgie that didn't make it in a basket last night. I watched his breathing slow down. I left him there because I couldn't watch him take his last breath. He was laying on his side when I left him. When I got up this morning, he was perched on the side of the basket. Do budgies sleep lying down? Either way, it is a miracle in my book!!! Both of the little ones are sampling the seeds I have provided. Not much, but it's a start. I will keep you posted. :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:47 am

W. O. W.

That was a great stroke of luck. Do you think he is OK now? Might he have been just really, really frightened? Stunned?

Pamper him for me. Keep a close eye because if he really is compromised, the other one may attack, just one of those "nature" things that sometimes happens.

Poor little guys. Send a photo. (I can say that now!)
-MissK

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Oh wow! That is amazing :o . I have never heard of a budgie lying down to sleep. I am glad to hear that they are trying to eat. Hopefully all will work out well.
-Joey's Mom

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:24 pm

The little one that was lying down to sleep went to the rainbow bridge last night. I know she had been attempting to eat, she had seed stuck to her beak. The other one has labored breathing now too. No discharge from the nares or beak, and is a bit more active today. We completed the rescue of the other birds yesterday. 8 cockatoos. I feel like hitting someone :evil:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:55 am

Dave's mum showed me a picture he drew when he was little:

A one legged budgie!

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:22 am

I like it! Got all the right parts. This Budgie was a mime, I see. No perch. :D
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:38 am

Maybe he was sleeping :wink: very good work Dave :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 am

His eyes are open. Maybe he was a pirate.
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:59 am

We shall call him Peg Leg Bud :D

Redzone

Post by Redzone » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Lol, you guys! She was a one legged female :)

Judging by the tail position, in the mating position too lol

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 pm

You had quite the active imagination :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Peg Leg Bud, short for Budgette..... She was a "lonely" lass, "friendly" when approached, stealing hearts along the waterways of Australia, sleeping with her eyes open, with never a perch to stand upon. Pirating in the grasslands of Australia was not very profitable, and so she went to live with Dave where she turned to a life of Mime!
-MissK

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Ok...I take that back...MissK, you definitely have the active imagination!!! :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 am

<shrug> You knew. :mrgreen:
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:51 am

Riff Raff takes a trip ~

Recently I came home from work to discover SOMEBODY had been loose all day because I didn't latch the cage properly........ It seems she wasn't able to get back in, so when I found her she was fast asleep on the outside of the cage. I put her back in and tried to get my heart rate back to normal. Then I went on about my life.

Today I went to put some little plant pots at my kitchen window. Space is dear in my house, and my cuttings need "bright indirect light". That Northwest window should be perfect, so I got out the step stool to access the middle of window over the sink. I found Budgie poop up there!

I didn't think little Riff would have traveled so far through the house, and really didn't think she'd leave the other birds. But I think she did! Maybe she went to visit the Canaries and took a detour. :lol:
-MissK

smick

Post by smick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:41 pm

G'day Budgie fans, interesting seeing so many USA fans of the humble Aussie budgie, but the domestic budgie as been world wide for a long time now. I from a town about 1 hour from Sydney I and my family have been breeding budgies for probably about 40 years.
I usually breed about 30 to 40 a year, these are the normal domestic size, bigger from the wild budgies but smaller from the big fat headed English show budgies which I don't like. The ones you have are probably the same size as mine.
I currently breed colours such as sky blue, yellow face violet, violet pied, blue pied in blue and white and blue and yellow, white cinnamon, yellow cinnamon, blue opaline , green opaline , single factor cobolt blue yellow face, aqua pied. I have both dominate and recessive pied . In foreign birds as well as Ringnecks I have Moustache, Kakariki, Sun conures, Canary and Mask lovebirds in violet, cobolt blue and pastel violet blue. My Aussie flock also include Cockatiels, King parrots, Princess parrots, Scarlet chested parrots, Hooded parrots , Eastern rosella's in lutino, red and splits, Pale headed rosella, Western rosella, Galah and Major Mitchel cockatoo. I also have finch's such as Gouldian's in normal and white breasted, Double bar finch's, Painted finch's and Red browed finch's.

MissK

Post by MissK » Fri May 09, 2014 9:35 am

Wow, Smick, you've got an awful lot of birds!!

As far as my own little crew, Spring came, things got feisty in the Budgie cage, and I ended up inserting the divider to separate the sexes. I made a little error in sexing the Albino, and after the dust had cleared and the shrieking ended, I had three males on one side of the HQ Double Flight, and one lonely female on the other side. My beloved little Riff Raff. :( So, I did as you might expect -- I brought home another adult female. Pictures will come eventually. She is a typical bright blue Budgie, and since she is a girl for sure, she gets the name of Janet. The girls are finding their way to amicability, though at the start it was the newcomer who was a little nasty. I'm sure it was because she was used to feeling unloved in her prior situation......

AND, here's something else -- When is a Parakeet not really a Parakeet?
--> When it's a Lineolated Parakeet! :lol:
And so, I did today bring home a nice little Olive mutation Linnie. It was sold as a 2 year old female, but it was also supposed to have a band to match the DNA certificate, and that turned out not as expected (no band). The seller had only had it about 2 months. She bought a failed breeding pair, and then bought another female. The original male immediately began attacking this "female", which put her in the market for a new home. With this somewhat shaky foundation, "she" begins her new life with me. Of course, the name will be Lynnie. Lynn is used as a name for either gender, and for a Linnie, I thought no better name could possibly be! EDIT: Yup. Lynnie is a BOY!

Wish us luck! Anybody who keeps Linnies, please chat me up. I'm a Linnie Beginner!
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:34 am

As some of you may know, I finally brought home that second Ringneck, so he kicked the Budgies out of the big flight cage. I bought them a matching pair of new cages and lashed them together back to back. My hope was that the flock would still feel like a flock, even though the genders are separated by wire.

I made sure to include some natural perches that go through the actual dividing wall, so birds can share a perch as they would naturally want to do. Today I see some great success in this effort to keep the flock apart but together: Frankie is feeding Janet through the wall! Awwwwww!
-MissK

tasha87

Post by tasha87 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks for all the info! The husband brought home 2 little budgies a few weeks ago... we've named them Lucy and Ricky. They are just the busiest, cutest darn things ive seen in a long time! They are not hand tame bit are coming along...Ricky faster than Lucy. Ill pour some seed into my hand at feeding time and put my hand into the cage he will fly around for a bit, land in my hand for a few seeds then fly away. After that ill pour the seed into their bowl. I really get a kick out of watching them play.

smick

Post by smick » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Tasha try some greens like seeding grass or silverbeet, they will be super eager and will soon land on you, thanks Mick

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Even spray millet is a good treat for that, too.
-MissK

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:38 am

I wanna share my budgies . I have two budgies , one female ( 4 years old) , one male (3,5 years old). . I was very ignorant about parrots a year ago. I only gave them budgie foods.And I didn't know how important training my birds. They only know step up and give kisses. They uses their cage only eating and sleepng. A year ago my female's health condition started to getting worse. I searched about parrots and I learned everything I currently know. But Iwas so late :( :( I'm so sad because I couldn't good mama for them. they don't want to eat anything but budgie foods. I am trying give them different foods but it doesn't work out. I give her vitamins too but Her condition still bad. They have a strong bond each other so they don't interested in me. so there are my budgies :
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1378.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:06 am

GeveZe, you take great pictures! What's wrong with your Budgie girl?
-MissK

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:29 am

Her feathers are huge problem. I take this picture right now :
IMG_3014.jpg
Look at that ! These feathers looks so bad. And when she flies , she exhausted so quickly. She eats a lot end she is very active but I know ,she is not good :( I tried a lot of things ; I take her a vet. But in Turkey there is any avian vets . I know only one avian vet in whole country but he is lived another town. So I'm very upset about it :( I think It's my fault. Because I give her only budgie foods. :(

Donovan

Post by Donovan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:42 am

haha great toilet paper pic

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Donovan wrote:haha great toilet paper pic
Oh! if you like it We have plenty of them :D these are for you Donovan:
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1770.jpg
IMG_1777.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1909.jpg
IMG_1912.jpg
IMG_2406.jpg
IMG_2416.jpg

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Her feathers seem quite unusual. Do you know if any of her brothers or sisters have the same problem? I am thinking that this cannot be diet alone? Consider that the male Budgie has lived the same, but he doesn't look like that. I hope we get a Budgie Expert here to see this.
-MissK

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:27 am

I forgot to tell important thing. A year ago she laid eggs aftet that her health went bad. So I thought it's because her diet. Actually , my family owned them when I was far away from home. I came and found these little babies. I don't know any siblings of them. I have theories Her feathers are less than they should be. Because of that flying is tiring for her. And because of that she is making her feathers deformed. Is it possible ?

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:07 am

So I understand now; she had normal feathers before she laid eggs and after the eggs she has deformed feathers? That does sound like a diet issue, sadly.

You cannot go back but you can go forwards and try again to help her eat better foods. I have a link to an article on feeding parrots. You can read that or take these few simple ideas from it: http://www.parrothouse.com/pamelaclark/ ... anion.html
Parrots are naturally inclined to eat at particular times of the day, early morning and late afternoon/evening.
Parrots are suspicious and unwilling to eat new things they have not seen and eaten before.
If you offer the new food at the time of day when the parrot is not already inclined to eat, the bird is not likely to try it.
If you offer the new food so it looks the same every day the parrot will get accustomed to seeing it.
If you eat the food when you give it to the birds it will help them understand it is food and be interested in eating it.

Therefore you should chop the vegetable and fruits so the bird always gets a colorful chopped mix that looks the same every day, even if you have included different foods. :wink:
You should present this food at the time of day that the parrot is already looking for something to eat.
You should show them how to eat it.
You can sprinkle some of the old food (the seeds) on top so that the bird will be drawn to the mix.
**You must still provide the old food, so the bird doesn't starve, of course.
You should expect that the new food will be not be eaten for weeks before the bird gets accustomed to it.
You should give it to them every day.

I would like to add that if one bird will eat it, the other should learn by watching. I know you are an experienced Budgie Keeper, so I don't mean to insult you by telling you these things you probably already know. Just, if you missed this, or somebody else is reading it could help them. Try to give the Budgies a whole leaf, maybe kale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kale-Bundle.jpg or collard http://www.finecooking.com/item/5217/collard-greens . Wet the leaf and do not shake it off, so water clings to it, and place it on the floor of the cage. Budgies may roll on the leaf to bathe and they may taste it, too. If the birds will not eat a chopped mix of vegetables, but they will eat a leaf, this is a great improvement, still, over only seeds. You can also hang a leaf from the wall of the cage where there is a perch, so they can lean against it if they want to. If Budgies like to chew on things, and it looks like they do :P then make some toys out of food. I know you will be very good at this because I see you are clever and creative, as well as very loving to your birds.
-MissK

clawnz

Post by clawnz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:47 pm

While it is very hard to say why she has bad feathering I would still push for diet changes.
I do note that only one of your birds has this problem, which is interesting.
You could do as I did and have blood tests done to make sure there are no issues.
Sprouts would be my first consideration, these will start the process of introducing natural vitamins, minerals and trace elements that may of been missing or in short supply.
If you can find my thread on Dexter in the Alexandrine starter, you will see a few of the things we have done for him.
It takes or can take a very long time to work through these things. Not very often is there a quick fix. Dexter is 18months into his reconditioning. Where my Budgie Blue came right in just a few months.
Omeg3, protein, Vitamin A, Flax seed, Red Palm Oil, calcium, I would be targeting.
Consider to start building towards her next molt, and see what happens then with her diet change.
No matter what they will only eat, you do need to make changes.
I know it is not easy. Presentation and location is the key to getting them onto new foods.

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:06 pm

Clawnz, please talk a little bit more about presentation and location.
-MissK

clawnz

Post by clawnz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 am

Good grief MissK! Why did I not see that? Before I posted.
I think you covered a lot of it. You are right about they do tend to feed in the morning and then in the afternoon before settling down for the night.
Two key times to get them interested in foods.
A bird that eats during the day (other than snacking) is not getting enough food, and therefor will forage during the day. The other key factor is they do tend to eat when we do. You start eating and they will follow. And as I am sure you know they will want whatever you are eating or at least try it.

Presentation: Location. Then how a food looks. Chopped, grated, diced, sliced.
Some birds will not take wet foods. So some things like greens may have to dry out a bit.
When you need to get them to eat things to boost them you can add these to Birdy Bread, Birdy goop, Birdy Nuggets, Birdy Mash. Whatever you can get them to eat. There are loads of different methods on the net. It does not matter what goes into them to some extent, as long as it is good solid foods. Then you can add things like eggs and crushed shells, powdered cuttle bone, Even crumbled Manu Clay lick blocks. (We get a block called Calcium Cake). Into these things can add all sorts of goodies, that they may not eat if served alone.

To drift off a little here is a story from long ago when I did not know better, but knew I wanted to boost my birds diet with good things. I know now I do not need to buy man made things like Pellets and conditioners.
But anyway I bought this Kaytees veg and fruit stick. It had all sorts of things. Well over 57 different ingredients. I hung this up in a cage, no interest. I hung it up on the play gym, no interest.I hung it so that it was in their face when they came around on the brach my end of the conservatory, no interest. By this time I had this hanging around for maybe two weeks and not a nibble. I crumbled some and left it on a tray on the branch. Oh! Excitement seeing them actually try some. Next week I bought another and hung this one on the play gym. Gone in two days.
Yet another. Sweetcorn. I tried corn on the cob, no interest. I cut some off and put on the tray on the branch, no interest. So I cut some up and put on the tray, and they tried it. A week later they were devouring corn on the cob.

Persistence is second after presentation. Never give up. The only way they will change is if you force , bribe them. I know it means a lot of food goes to waste. But you can win most times.
i do exceptional most times with the birds I take in for boarding. I always ask the owners to bring whatever their birds eat, but added that I will feed them other foods. And for some funny reason they do try new foods while here. I do not force of starve. I offer.

MissK

Post by MissK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:21 am

Thanks Clawnz, This is an issue many people struggle with!
-MissK

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:05 pm

MissK, Clawnz thank you so much. Your posts very informative .I read article and Dexter's thread. Poor Dexter; he is so lovely.
Before, I tried make toys for them like that:
IMG_3031.jpg
IMG_3033.jpg
IMG_3034.jpg
And I give them fresh fruits and vegetables everyday. But they are so stubborn. I think they don't trust me enough. :( I don't give up I will try different things. Sprouts etc . Thank you for everything :)

clawnz

Post by clawnz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:48 am

Thank You.
Poor Dexter! I will tell him that in the morning. He may of been, now he is one very lucky Fid, as I will do whatever it takes to get him right. Not many would get treated the way he does.
Here is my boy at the pet shop. Poppy is a young female Alex and I cruise in there now and then to see what they have and play with the birds. While Dexter gets to ride the odd shoulder of the staff.
I took her a Chilli and the Apple. Notice how Dexter just walks right on in to her cage. he is so cool.
The vid shows how Poppy reacts to Dexter. This was our second visit in the vid and the photos are from the first time we met her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD5GNTIVB1Y

I take him everywhere. He eat 4x pens in two banks the other day. He is a pen freak. nothing turns him on like the sight of a pen.
Everybody loves Dexter and it is great to get all the nice comments about just how his condition stands out.
Those who have seen him over the last 18mths do comment on how well much healthier he is looking. Good for my ego. I just tell them he is a work in progress.

And I could point you to Budgie Blue and how good care and diet changed her life.
I have posted some of her details somewhere on this forum.
But here is a link to all her photos.
http://s815.photobucket.com/user/clawin ... t=3&page=1

And a couple of samples.

And some months later

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:58 am

Yeah I remembered I saw Budgie Blue 's topic. oww poor little baby He is looking so good now. Congratulations, your birds are so lucky to have you. Dexter and Poppy is so cute, too.

I know how important birds diet. when Börek came to my home, her feathers very bad. It's her first day in my home:
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1133.jpg
She ate everything i offered and after that her next molt was sooo big:
IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1410.jpg
IMG_1509.jpg
So her feathers started to grown
IMG_1612.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg
And today, she looks so fluffy
IMG_2392.jpg
and so beautiful
IMG_3038.jpg

I think It's Börek's success. I hope my budgies will change their diet. I wanna see them healthy and beautiful..

PS: MissK I'm so sorry I know there is a budgie thread. I promise It's never gonna be happen :D

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:49 pm

The Budgies will give beautiful Borek a pass for today.
-MissK

clawnz

Post by clawnz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 pm

GeveZe wrote:Yeah I remembered I saw Budgie Blue 's topic. oww poor little baby He is looking so good now. Congratulations, your birds are so lucky to have you. Dexter and Poppy is so cute, too.

I know how important birds diet. when Börek came to my home, her feathers very bad. It's her first day in my home:
IMG_1123.jpg
She ate everything i offered and after that her next molt was sooo big:
IMG_1509.jpg
So her feathers started to grown
IMG_1782.jpg
And today, she looks so fluffy
IMG_2392.jpg
and so beautiful
IMG_3038.jpg
I think It's Börek's success. I hope my budgies will change their diet. I wanna see them healthy and beautiful..
Yes Yes Yes. That super hard moult tells you all you need to know.
Here is how I see it.
They do not control their moult their bodies do. And the controls in place will not allow a bird to shed more than the body can replace. Hence poor diet poor moult.
Good diet and the body knows it is time to get those old feathers out of there and produce good new ones.
So yes you must of done right by your Ringneck.

smick

Post by smick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:47 am

Geveze, it could be diet and because it happened after egg laying I would say she lacks calcium. If its available buy cuttle fish bone , this is always supplied to my birds , chicken egg shells when you use some eggs cook the empty shells in the microwave for 1 minute and then crush them and place in small container, If you can buy some shell grit to. Try to find some seeding grass that's clean and spinach ,kale , silverbeet , carrot tops, beetroot leaves all good treats for vitamins. Thanks Smick.

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:27 am

Thank you so much Smick. Yes, they have cuttlefish bone . I will do everything you said , too. I tried to change their diet during a year. But it didn't work out :( I hope i will succeed one day.

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:49 am

MissK & all you budgie fans

There's a budgie photo comp going on right now at five grey parrots. See https://www.facebook.com/FiveGreys

You should enter.

Ellie.

MissK

Post by MissK » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 am

GeveZe will take that prize! Go get it, GeveZe!
I'm not on Facebook, but it did look great. Thanks for the heads-up, Ellie!
-MissK

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am

:lol: :lol: MissK, you must see. There are so lovely budgies in comp. I think your budgies more beautiful than mine. I will join the competition for fun :lol: :lol: thank you Ellie =)

Jet17

Post by Jet17 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

MissK wrote:Thank you, Joey's Mom.

I own a cute little budgie I just bought about a month ago. He is hand tamed got it from a breeder. He s so cute and tiny He is about 4 months old. And it is true their not afraid of much. He goes right up to Roscoe my ringneck and sqeaks and squawks at him. If I get another male will they get along?

MissK

Post by MissK » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:30 pm

If you get another male Budgie, the two should get along well, as long as there are no females. Take care, however, that you are certain you have two males. I think the time frame for visually sexing Budgies is closer to six months, is it not? Some people can make an experienced guess at the sex before then, but it's still a guess. Congratulations on your new little Budgie!!!
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:23 pm

A happy note for the Budgie thread~

Some may recall that when I split my girl Budgie from the boys, I felt it necessary to go out and bring home a second female to keep company with Riff Raff. The new Budgie, Janet, turned out to be not at all friendly to me, and more than a little squawky with Riff Raff.

Now, some months later, I'm pleased to say the girls have worked things out between them, so much as girl Budgies are wont to do. They have a pretty big cage, and I'm sure that helps. I expected that.

What I did not expect was that Janet has changed her opinion of me! Happy news! I recently caught her out of the big cage (and don't even ask me HOW; I was just very lucky) and found she was quite unexcited about the whole process. She allowed me to hold her in my hand without even a whisper of biting and no struggle either. I was amazed. Never expected that.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
-MissK

MissK

Post by MissK » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Well, tonight is a sad night on the Budgie Fans thread. Two of my boys died. They seemed fine this afternoon, but when I went for tuck ins tonight, Magenta and Dr. Scott were on the floor. It's a bit hard to say what the problem was. Choices seem to be cold, food, furnace, or cooking dinner.

We had a cold snap that dropped the house temperature more than ten degrees. Last night when I came home from work I found them huddled together - looked like one ball of fluff. Never saw them do that before, turned the house heat on. It's the first heat of the season, maybe the cold was too much, or maybe the furnace made fumes? Same furnace as always.

I have been encouraging them to switch from Zupreem to Mazuri. It's possible they haven't been eating as much, though I have seen them eat it. Possibly, they could have dropped weight and failed to meet the demand of the cold snap. All three have a big squishy pile of fat high on the chest that our vet suggested was related to preparing to breed. I'm wondering now if that is true, as I was able to feel some sharp bone lower on the chest. When I felt that squishy fat two weeks ago (and it's still there) I never dreamed they could be light lower down.

Last idea is that I cooked salmon in olive oil in an iron skillet tonight. I always use that pan and oil, but I never cook salmon. I hardly think that would do it, but??? I rushed to open the windows (with the cold air, I am a freaking genius, but I thought if we needed fresh air, we *really* needed it) in case of that, but everybody else looks fine. Frankie looks fine, but he has the same bone issue.

I'm very sad to lose my boys, especially Magenta, my fave boy. He was so agile and clever. Now I have the choice to get another boy Budgie to snuggle with Frankie, or send him to live at someone else's house. There is someone in my life who would like me to have less birds, but now I want to cling ever tighter to the remaining ones. I've decided to let the availability/demand for boy Budgies on Craigslist and the bird club make this decision for me.
-MissK

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi Missk, So sad to hear about your beautiful budgies. Hope you feeling better by now.
So did you get another companion for Frankie?

I have'nt been here on this lovely forum in a long while and am trying to catch up with everything thats been going on here and all the new members too.

Wishing you a lovely day

Ash

Loreneee

Post by Loreneee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 am

I have seen said cage in action and dude, Riff Raff and the Doctor are going to have a new Kingdom!!! This is a fabulous cage.