Maroon Bellied Conure Breeding Journal

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

Lushen1600

Maroon Bellied Conure Breeding Journal

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here I wish to document a breeding journal for my maroon bellied conures

First up is a pic of the pair in their cage

Second is a pic of their first egg which they laid today

Will keep you guys updated on their progress, also if their is anyone else in the pietermaritzburg and durban areas whose breed these birds, I would be interested in getting into contact with them, as once I have babies and they are grown I would like to have them surgically sexed and buy mates for them so I can get more pairs

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Re: Maroon Bellied Conure Breeding Journal

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

I keep sun and Jendaya conures. Have not seen the maroun bellied variety before. I must say they are extraordinarily beautiful. Is it just a colour difference from the other conures? Would love to eventually get a pair. My conure babies are now 6 weeks old and I find are much easier to handle than the IRN babies. Conures seem sturdier, stronger at 3 weeks (when removed from the nest). But I have to say I find the growling and mewling sounds that the IRN's make, so much more endearing. I guess I am biased because I love my IRN's a little more than my conures :lol: The IRN's are cheeky little buggers :D . Look forward to your posts on your conures as well.

Cheers
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, thanks for the reply, unfortunately when I checked the nestbox today, I found no egg, but only some pieces of the egg shell, so I don't know whether it was broken or eaten. I wonder why they would do that, does anyone have similar experiences, please share
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

I have had 3 such experiences with my conures. My Jendaya conure laid 5 eggs in her first clutch and two eggs disappeared. Last week she laid 3 eggs and I found one missing. Two days ago the last two eggs were broken and just the shells were in the nest box. Have no idea why she is doing this because she sat on her eggs for 2 weeks and would not leave the box. Now all her eggs are destroyed. Confused :?

Cheers
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, sorry I never updated, but unfortunately the conures haven't laid any more eggs, but are still digging the nest box, I'm sure its the neighbours dog that has scared them, as the neighbour has taken down the old precast wall and is now putting a brick wall, so the dog has free passage into my yard, doesn't interfere with the birds, just comes looking for food, but when I hear the conures screaming, I know that the dog is in my backyard

Will just have to wait and see what happens, hope they breed this year, time will tell, as soon as they start laying again, I will update you guys

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, I have some good news and some bad news

Yesterday when I checked the maroon bellied conure nesting box, I found that they started to lay again

But today there was no egg to be found, not even a shell, so I don't know what's happening with these guys

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

That is so sad and frustrating too as I'm sure you are eager for some conure babies. I've had a problem with my conure hen. She's already had one clutch of babies (laid 3 eggs, 2 hatched) and I've been hand raising the chicks, which are now 7 1/2 weeks old. She has since laid 3 eggs again. One disappeared, one is cracked but the other is fine. Don't know why she is doing this.....

Cheers
Eshana