My Big Family :)

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

Celithemis

My Big Family :)

Post by Celithemis »

Hi All,

I know I don't post much, but I thought I would share my family with you. All of my animals are like children to me :) Sorry, this post will be a little long...

This is Luger (Lou) my first ringneck. He has some problems from being mishandled, passed through four homes in the first two/three years of his life, and being treated as if he was a novelty. I watched as everyone passed him around, each one just wanting him because he was a "parrot." Once they found out there was actual effort involved with properly keeping and training a parrot, they passed him to the next idiot. After the fourth one figured that out, he decided to sell him, so I took the opportunity and jumped on it, I was the first to bring him cash, so I got him. :D After working with him for a year now, he has gotten much better. He no longer paces and screetches, he steps up (though he doesn't enjoy it, so I only make him do it when I have to), he talks, and he now has a buddy, a blue male ringneck.

This one is Mauser, my sweet little monster of a baby. We got this one as a hand raised baby to keep Lou company while we were at work all day. At first they bickered a bit, both were hand raised as babies (though Lou reverted to being "wild" from mishandling) and had never seen another ringneck before. Now they get along really well, I believe it is partly due to the fact that they are not fully caged, they can go anywhere to get away from eachother, if they need to.
Mauser is is a very brave, active, and outgoing boy, and he has helped Lou come out of his shell quite a bit. I don't know how we ever lived without him, he brings such joy into our home with his playful antics, and he is now learning to talk, which is pretty cool. He know's Lou's name, and will sometimes walk up to him and lean in, saying "Lou...Lou...Lou..Lou! Lou!!" Lou just ignores him :P

Now the rest of the family...

Gobbles, my sweet, angry little female budgie...

Monty Python, my crested gecko...

Lilo (grey) and Stitch (brown) my gerbils...

Picasso, my facially challenged rat (her teeth grow crooked and need to be trimmed all the time)...

At my Parents' house, I also have a hedgehog, two cats, a canary and two mice. (though the cats and canary mostly belong to my parents :P)

Now, this brings me to Timmy...Timmy is my paraplegic rabbit. I work in a pet shop (we're much better than your average shop, I normally hate pet stores, but we're different, we actually care about the animals more than the money and we know what we're doing). Anyways, Timmy is the result of a temporary employee (who was just supposed to clean cages) and a small child mishandling him. We're not sure what happened, he says nothing happened, but the poor rabbit was fine in the morning, then this employee and a kid handled him unsupervised, and now he has no use of his back legs. We took him to the vet, but there wasn't much they could do, besides give him some prednisone and wait and see. Timmy is one year old now (I took him in after his accident) and still has no use of his back legs, nor will he ever. Since he was only three months when it happened, his bones were still growing, so they have actually grown incorrectly now, because he was always dragging them. He has full use of his spine, so he walks okay, but he lands on his bum instead of his feet. We're currently working with the vet to see what we can do to help his legs.
Other than his legs, he is perfectly normal in every other way, and because of his disability, he is very spoiled :wink:

Thanks for reading :)
delboy

Re: My Big Family :)

Post by delboy »

nice pics luvely pets i like gobbles. that sounds so wrong! but he looks cute an my partner wants a hedgehog a albino but i would say they smell??? cos dont they eat meat? and i luv your 2 ringeys luvely looking birds all of em!!! all mine delboy
Celithemis

Post by Celithemis »

Hedgehogs can smell, yes, but it is usually due to lack of cleaning and poor diet. If you feed them a healthy diet (none of that "hedgehog food" garbage that is on the market...I use cat food; Chicken Soup for the Catlover's Soul Adult Light Formula) and clean often (carefresh bedding hides the smell well) then they don't smell.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I am loving ALL your animals. Sounds like they have a very loving and caring home. Should be more people like you in this world, then animals would have a happy life living with us. :)