What is the best bird to get a pet for a child?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

ashtonfarell

What is the best bird to get a pet for a child?

Post by ashtonfarell »

My daughter is 6 and wants a bird. I was wanting any suggestions about what is the best bird to get as a first pet bird. I was thinking about a parakeet because I had them when I was younger and enjoyed them. This bird(s) will be kept at her grandparents so she can enjoy it on her weekend visits. Is it better to get two birds so they can keep each other company or will one be OK by itself?
333greenbean333

Re: What is the best bird to get a pet for a child?

Post by 333greenbean333 »

I would recomend a budgie or a cockateil. These birds are easy to tame and do not require allot of room. And normally with bugies you should buy 2 but with a cockatiel it doent matter.

If your interested in a Indian ringneck they are slightly harder to tame. But they make great talkers and can be very funny and cheeky.
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
bec

Post by bec »

i would go for the cockatiel they are very gentle birds easy to tame
and quite cute i would go to a breeder & get a hand tamed baby
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

If you're looking for a bird that looks parakeet like but not so into the budgie features, I'd say get a pair of lovebirds. They're very entertaining, very colorful and catchy, not so inclined to long periods of quiet and at the same time a pair of them will be self sufficient, as far as attention is concerned. I wouldnt normally advise someone to buy a pet bird for a 6 year old but since you say her grandparents would be keeping it, I guess its alright. The reason for this is, kids tend to move on fast, as this is the learning stage of their life. At the same time they want something to touch and cuddle. Also a bird requires alot of responsibility and most birds dont like to be man handled. Its different with the hand raised ones though. I'd say a hamster or guinea pigs would be ideal for the pet experience of a child. Because, they dont really care about the 'dont touch me part', they dont tend to bond to one specific human (most parrot species pick out a mate for life) and they are gentle enough to never really bite back.

But if its a bird you must have and a budgie isnt your thing, then go for the lovebirds. There are many different types but the peach faced love bird is the largest of the sort and they are less shy. I've had a pair of fishers lovebirds and they were quite alright. But it took mine about a whole year before they flew and sat on us. They'll do tricks and everything a lot sooner, depending how much you train them etc. but it takes awhile before they REALLY start playing the fool with you. :D
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I would go for a handraised cockatiel. They are loving, small enough and the bite is not damaging if the bird does happen to have a bit of a go in a bad mood, not that I have really seen this from a hand raised cockatiel. Mine love to be cradled in your hand and scratched with the other hand, rubbed all over their heads and kissed on the back of the head. They stay tame even when left in their cage for some time without interaction.

I would only get one bird, two will bond together and not be anywhere near as tame as one, unless however they are like my four and all handraised tame birds. I have four competing for my attention, funniest thing to see all four of them trying to shove their heads under my hands for scratches and then biting at each other trying to scare each other away .. lol

Love it !!

As Bec said, they are gentle and loving and very easy birds.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless