Clown Loaches

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

courtney

Clown Loaches

Post by courtney »

I finally got some clown loaches. I got five of them. They are in a 75 gallon tank and eventually will be transferred to 150 gallon tank. I have been really thinking a lot about them because I know they are extremely prone to ick but ick is easy to cure so if I see I will just medicate. So Im medicating the tank now because you can guarantee they will get it.

But how cute are they?!!! They just have a blast in that tank swimming like loonies and just zoom around like nut balls. I just love them.

Sorry I could not get very good pics of them. They swim to fast to get a clear pic.

Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

When i had a fish tank, i was looking at loachs to buy. I seen some interesting ones.
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

Very nice :D
i have 1 clown loach, but he's not alone :lol:
i also have 2 gourami's, 1 koi angel, 2 silver sharks, 1 kribensis, quite a few guppies, 1 bristlenose, 1 rainbow shark, 4 black widow tetra's and 2 zebra danio's, i see you have a goldfish, do the loaches annoy him :?:
MJAY
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I love loaches. They're lots of fun. At that small size, I'm sure they love that 75 gallon. The tank size is great

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clown_loach

Only thing is, Loaches are a tropical fish and prefer more acidic water (a pH of 5-6 or so) and goldfish prefer more basic water (pHs 7-8). It is true that most tropicals in aquariums will get used to higher or lower pHs and different water hardness than this wiki article states. My tap water pH is naturally on the high end, typically 7.5-8. My betta doesn't seem to mind it. Don't get those pH Ups or pH Downs. Those cause fluctuations which stress your fish and make them more susceptible to illness.

Most tropical fish like their temps to be between 78-80 degrees F. Goldfish tend to prefer the cooler temps.

The goldfish are also heavy waste producers when they're large, so that will increase an already sensitive fish's risk of getting sick.

I would buy the goldfish their own large tank so everyone has the recommended water levels.

I recommend the API Master Test Kit. That's what I use and it's quite accurate.

Sorry for the onslaught of info. I'm a fish geek. If you need any help, let me know. :D
courtney

Post by courtney »

I also like the yo-yo loaches, does anyone know if you can put them together?

Marine-you NEED to get loaches then. It’s amazing how active they are.

Mjay, how many tanks do you have? Wow! I have three.

Thanks Skybaby. Those goldfish are my friends goldfish. She got a new tank because her’s was leaking so until she got it set up I held on to them for her. So they are not in there now, she picked them up. So don’t worry I do know they don’t mix. I test my water once a week. I will never use ph buffers unless the ph are unstable. NO CHEMICLES unless absolutely necessary. Sop the five loaches have the 75 gallon to themselves now.

Thanks I will let you know if I need advice. But I do have one question. I know loaches are super prone to ick so how often do they get ick. Every time you clean the tank, add a new fish? Are you supposed to medicate every time you do something to the tank or just when ever you see the ick?
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Sorry, i can't. I took my aquarium down.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

courtney wrote:I also like the yo-yo loaches, does anyone know if you can put them together?

Marine-you NEED to get loaches then. It’s amazing how active they are.

Mjay, how many tanks do you have? Wow! I have three.

Thanks Skybaby. Those goldfish are my friends goldfish. She got a new tank because her’s was leaking so until she got it set up I held on to them for her. So they are not in there now, she picked them up. So don’t worry I do know they don’t mix. I test my water once a week. I will never use ph buffers unless the ph are unstable. NO CHEMICLES unless absolutely necessary. Sop the five loaches have the 75 gallon to themselves now.

Thanks I will let you know if I need advice. But I do have one question. I know loaches are super prone to ick so how often do they get ick. Every time you clean the tank, add a new fish? Are you supposed to medicate every time you do something to the tank or just when ever you see the ick?
The best way to prevent ick is to keep the water very clean and quarantine new fish in a separate tank, using a separate set of supplies. You don't need to treat them unless they're obviously ill. Just keep an eye on them in the separate tank for about 2 weeks, some say 4-5 weeks is best.

I hope your tank is cycled. It will cycle itself with your fish in it, but the water goes through such large fluctuations of ammonia and nitrite and nitrate that it may hurt your fish. If your tank isn't cycled, I recommend getting a smaller tank for them for the time being that you can do larger water changes on until your 75 gallon is cycled. If it is cycled, you're doing everything right so far. Caring for a cycled tank is easy. 25% water changes once every 5-7 days.

Ich can be treated with a dose of aquarium salt. Just follow the directions on the carton. Try to catch the ich in its earliest stages.

http://www.ultimatebettas.com/

This link is to a very helpful fish forum. It's more dedicated to bettas, but they have all sorts of other fish on there too. Have fun!
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i have two clown loach's.
there kinda getting big now, i love them.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Getting Ick sucks, it killed my entire tank.
Deano

Post by Deano »

I used to have a few clown loach's in a tank i had a while ago, it was the only fish i could put in there that the oscars wouldnt eat, cause of the loach's barbs
julie

Post by julie »

We have a clown loach in a tank with 1 oscar , 1 blue acara and a electric blue. The loach was thought to be dead several times because of the way they sleep, it often lays on it's side with it's head resting on a rock , like a pillow .I'm thinking about getting a few more for that tank .
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

julie wrote: The loach was thought to be dead several times because of the way they sleep, it often lays on it's side with it's head resting on a rock , like a pillow
Awww....that sounds so cute. I want one now. lol
bec

Post by bec »

Deano wrote:I used to have a few clown loach's in a tank i had a while ago, it was the only fish i could put in there that the oscars wouldnt eat, cause of the loach's barbs
i read that too so i tried loaches in with my oscar dextor but he ate them any way :shock: i told my dad who has been breeding fish for about 50 years dads reply:
"well of course what you read wont work !! dont you know fish cant read?!"
dad speak for what the books say is the general rule there are always exceptions to the general rule :roll:
julie

Post by julie »

bec wrote:
Deano wrote:I used to have a few clown loach's in a tank i had a while ago, it was the only fish i could put in there that the oscars wouldnt eat, cause of the loach's barbs
i read that too so i tried loaches in with my oscar dextor but he ate them any way :shock: i told my dad who has been breeding fish for about 50 years dads reply:
"well of course what you read wont work !! dont you know fish cant read?!"
dad speak for what the books say is the general rule there are always exceptions to the general rule :roll:
Barbs on clown loaches? Are we talking about the same fish?
bec

Post by bec »

yep clown loaches have poisonous barbs in their fins its a defence for them corydoras catfish have them too
julie

Post by julie »

cool , I didn't know that before. I think my Oscar is broken, he doesn't try to eat the other fish much. They recently died but I had breeding bristle noses in the tank too.
julie

Post by julie »

pinkdevil wrote:
julie wrote: The loach was thought to be dead several times because of the way they sleep, it often lays on it's side with it's head resting on a rock , like a pillow
Awww....that sounds so cute. I want one now. lol
someone actually got them on video doing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udMK76w7w6A
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

Skybaby, i have 1 tank (5 foot, approx 400 litres)
Julie, we had a 25cm clown loach at work and nearly every single person who saw him said he's dead because of the way they lay lol, we ended up making a sign! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WoW, an oscar with a loach :lol: lets hope he doesn't have him for dinner lol
i used to have oscars years ago, but decided to go more community for a while :shock: i do love them (oscars), they have so much personality :lol:
i did have a 10cm pleco but my 5cm bristlenose killed him

:shock:
and yes, it was the bristlenose :shock: :shock:
he's crazy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MJAY
bec

Post by bec »

yeah oscars are the coolest fish!!!
my dextor used to dance to certain songs and rush to the side of the tank to greet me with his tail wagging like a puppy and he loved!!!!!belly rubs
julie

Post by julie »

I have 2 tiger Oscars, but they are in different tanks. The one that is by itself is a fish killer. The one in the tank with the other fish follows us around, the tank is a room divider so it can see us whenever we are in the lounge room.
julie

Post by julie »

here is a old pic of my tank, the oscar is heaps bigger and slower now.