Bad bush fires , is everyone ok .. Kyria?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

julie

Bad bush fires , is everyone ok .. Kyria?

Post by julie »

Angie is everything ok with you guys, and everyone else that is dealing with the fires . I hope you are all ok and made it out in time. :cry:
Janet

Bushfires

Post by Janet »

I have just been watching the coverage of the fires on television. I, too, hope everyone is OK. Devastating. 66 identified as having been killed so far. Numbers expected to rise. I was sitting at home thinking about how I could ensure that my birds and my dog would get out if my home was threatened by fire. I like in the country but work in the city. I think I would take my guys to work if there were fires close by.

Keep safe.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:( Just terrible! Worst ever natural disaster for us. 108+ Deaths and counting today.

Ang: Hope the family and yourself are okay hun! Take care. :( If the fires come too close, dont stay! *Hugs*
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Also been watching the coverage on TV. Sad, very sad.

I also saw that there are fires up your way Julie.

I hope this tragedy comes to a halt VERY soon.
Deano

Post by Deano »

Its such a horrible thing happening in Melb at the moment, to those who have suffered loss of life and property , their family and friends rest assured you are in the thoughts of all Australians, and to the people at the other end of the country that are flood ravaged.

To the people who risk their lives fighting these fires to try and save life and property, to the average person who risks their lives to help a total stranger out in time of need, you are the real hereos of this great country Australia we live in, it makes me proud be to Australian, its what we are all about banding together and helping a stranger or a mate out when they are less fortunate than us.

Our thoughts are with you all.
TD

Post by TD »

Everything is ok down here in the southern part of the state, but it still doesn’t feel real that this has happened. Beautiful country towns that fire has now erased from the map.
Totally unbelievable. The support Victoria is getting from all over Australia is incredible.
My brother lives in Northern Vic, near Wodonga and is close to the Beechworth fire. So far all is ok, but him and his family have packed the car just in case, he isn’t going to take any chances, particularly after the scenes we’ve all seen on the T.V.

All the best to those affected. We can praise the firefighters & emergency services all we want, and it still doesn’t seem enough. What a job they do.
julie

Post by julie »

We are ok here (touch wood) . The closest fires to us have been contained. A group of fire fighters from work have gone to Vic to help out and most of our rural firies have gone too. I hope they catch the mongrels that deliberately lit the fires. As of 5pm there was 130 + dead. I hope everyone is safe.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Deano wrote:
To the people who risk their lives fighting these fires to try and save life and property, to the average person who risks their lives to help a total stranger out in time of need, you are the real hereos of this great country Australia we live in, it makes me proud be to Australian, its what we are all about banding together and helping a stranger or a mate out when they are less fortunate than us.

Our thoughts are with you all.

Well said Deano.

Glad to hear you guys are safe Julie, TD and everyone else.

I heard that one 40+ year old man has been charged with arson.
Nothing they can do to these people will be harsh enough IMO!!!!!!
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I am so sorry I haven't been back earlier guys.. Just been so taken with all thats been happening around here. The fires are not far from where I work. Our hospital and our clinic has been full on, mainly with evacuated elderly and patients from areas affected.

The Mirboo north fires were in my area, but not close enough to us to worry. The King Lake fires are near my Home town, where I grew up and my parents area but again not close enough to be a threat.

The ones raging around beachworth and surrounds are quite a distance away also but this side of the coast.

So we are all ok. Glad to hear you are ok Julie. I just cannot get over the extent of all of this, its beyond comprehension. We have people coming into our town looking for help, looking for a place to stay, or food, we have the centrelink office here in town also, where people are coming for gov assistance.

That saturday was always going to be a hot scorcher, but nothing could prepair anyone for the Deathly Hot oven heat that was that day, the speed and heat of the air, which made the fires all the more destructive and inescapable.

For the US people on site that sat was 111.5 deg in your measure. And the air was like a fan forced oven. The wind was so hot you could watch leaves on tree's wilt and shrivel up.

I pray for all the families and friends and anyone affected by this horrid chain of events.

I thank and pray for all the firefighters and rescue teams out there. I thank all of Australia/Australians and neighbouring countries for their community, care and spirit in helping with dontations, aid, support and money for the victims and families. Our country has proven just how caring and close we all are.

God Bless and keep us all, Australians.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

So happy to hear from you hun! Glad your okay.

My dad lost a friend in the fires, and my partner might have an aunty in the Marysville area. :(

I was planning on going to Healsville the last 2 weekends, but sounds like Healsville is under threat.

I am amazed at just how much donations people are making! Its good to see so much of us can pull together and help another.

46 degrees celsius = 115 degrees F.? It actually got to 48 degrees in some areas. :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Oh my phone converter musta been off .. yeah you are right 46.5 is almost 116 .. crap !!
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

phew glad to hear everyone is ok 8)
bec

Post by bec »

Lauren wrote:So happy to hear from you hun! Glad your okay.

My dad lost a friend in the fires, and my partner might have an aunty in the Marysville area. :(

I was planning on going to Healsville the last 2 weekends, but sounds like Healsville is under threat.

I am amazed at just how much donations people are making! Its good to see so much of us can pull together and help another.

46 degrees celsius = 115 degrees F.? It actually got to 48 degrees in some areas. :(

all is well in healesville now lauren let me know when your heading this way we could catch up for a coffee
it was realy scary up here the first day by the time i realised there was a problem we were blocked in & you could see fires in 5 different directions from my housebut luckily for me the pterolstation across the road from me was the only one open so the fire fighters were there alot feeding us information we didnt sleep at all that night
on the monday they put a alet on for healesville & when they said "be alert because we may not have time to warn you if the wind turn"
i freaked so i packed my 9 birds ,5 ferrets,3cats, 7mice a smoyed & my 2 teenagers in my tiny corolla hatch & turned up a friends in lilydale then after 2 days i rang the cfa hot line they told me not to come back before sunday so we went to my dads for a week
we are back home now & still have our house unlike some of our friends