Spider Problem.... weird but true!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Fah

Spider Problem.... weird but true!

Post by Fah »

Heya all... seeking out help from people who might know something about it.

I have a spider problem... notably, wolf spiders.

Not your simple wolf spider mind you... these suckers are like 100 years old or something lol their average size from bottom to fang is 2.5cm with two so far over the apparently maximum 3cm mark from bottom to fang.

They have taken over a clay soil part of the property (about 5m x 6m area) and are tunneling through the natural cracks.

Tried drowning the buggers and the only thing that happpened was mass evacuation lol... and they all scattered or went into areas water wasnt too interested in staying.

Anyone know a good method of removal? What kind of insecticide? Spray or pour down holes etc?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

WOW got a pic of these guys? Would be cool to see fangs that size. :)

Not sure about helping you with your problem but I had a few spiders in the aviaries like red backs and the like. I used a bottle of Avian Insect Liquidator (Vetafaram) and it killed all the spiders and insects in there.

Maybe you could contact a DPI pest expert dude, they may have a more enviromental solution for you.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Yeah, will try and get a pic, we pulled a female out earlier today... honestly thought it was a small mouse running through the cracks of the clay soil... water made her come out though... and boy.. the bigger they get.. the slower they are.

Going to get them sprayed apparently, some professional crew that does the safe spray thingie at the zoo.
TD

Post by TD »

After reading this, I am now more comfortable with my minor mouse problem!!
Fah

Post by Fah »

Was not able to get any pics of the buggers, but had someone who was more curious about taking them away before spraying (some people have weird interests lol... guess they said the same about all my birds....)

They took a few pics so going to see them hopefully sooner or later.

All gone and clean now..

Largest female turned out to be just shy is 4cm, head tip to end tip. Quite rediculously large..

Not quite the bird spiders I saw as a child growing up in the NT... however... quite freakishly large in my opinion for suburban living.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

If I was there, I'd pick out as many as I possibly could too :D I love BOTH spiders and birds. I would love a tarantula.. but my hubby is afraid of them :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That's great you were able to rid of the unwanted guests with out having to use chemicals. :)

Lol yeah people who keep spiders sure are weird! ummmm......hides spiders and scorps :roll: :roll: :lol:
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heh, I dont have a problem with spiders... if they are nicely under control, and not turning a part of my property into their own nation lol
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

I think I would have died if I saw a spider that big!! Yuck! I don't know what it is about spiders but they just creep me out!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Eek! We've got these in the shed outback. I will not go in there. But my boyfriend keeps all his car 'bits' in there, yesterday he opened the door, and big mother wolf spider jumped down at him! Biggest damn spider Ive ever seen!

Funny story about a spider in our letterbox...
One morning I went out to check the mail, I almost died when I opened the lid. Yep, a big hairy brown looking ugly spider with fangs. So I closed the lid and went back inside without my mail. My partner got home from work that day, and checked the mail.. before I told him about the spider in there. My boyfriend is spider phobic like me. I prolly should of told him about the evil spider.
Now this is the funny part..
my boyfriends way of getting rid of spiders is.. deoderant can + ciggerette lighter. :roll: You can imagine what happened next.
Im sure the whole street saw the flames coming out of our mailbox. He burnt out mailbox to a crisp. LOL.. but the spider was DEAD. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Fah wrote:
Not quite the bird spiders I saw as a child growing up in the NT... however... quite freakishly large in my opinion for suburban living.

Ooo, you grew up in NT? Im jealous, my fave part of Australia. I lived/worked at Yulara. :) Gosh, I miss that place. But not the BUGS! Dingos and Perenties, I loved! But, bugs and spiders are bloody scary up there!
jay2513

Post by jay2513 »

im glad im in the uk with our little house spiders
nil

Post by nil »

glue traps may be useful ( traps for mouce), also a pyrethrin powder but are dengerous for the birds too,
some good advice http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazin ... -room.aspx
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

jay2513 wrote:im glad im in the uk with our little house spiders

Wooooaaah!!!!! I hate our "little" house Spiders. I am TERRIFIED of those things! Some can be pretty huge! I made my Mum drive over and get rid of one that was the size of my hand.

Im sooo glad Fah couldn't get pictures. I was scrolling through this post dreading a massive picture was going to appear.

And Lauren... i haven't laughed so much in ages! I can imagine my partner doing something similar aswell. I think you're spiders are one thing that makes me not want a holiday in Australia - as beautiful as it is
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

ryelle wrote:
jay2513 wrote:im glad im in the uk with our little house spiders

Wooooaaah!!!!! I hate our "little" house Spiders. I am TERRIFIED of those things! Some can be pretty huge! I made my Mum drive over and get rid of one that was the size of my hand.

Im sooo glad Fah couldn't get pictures. I was scrolling through this post dreading a massive picture was going to appear.

And Lauren... i haven't laughed so much in ages! I can imagine my partner doing something similar aswell. I think you're spiders are one thing that makes me not want a holiday in Australia - as beautiful as it is

Argh men LOL! Whats also funny is, we havnt got a new mailbox, its still standing, but is no longer white. LOL.

Oh and I hate those little spiders that jump! boy can they jump!