question

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

jamie_loves_IRN'S

question

Post by jamie_loves_IRN'S »

hey everyone i was just wondering if i should leave jasper out of her cages for the whole day and put her in at night or set a specific time when she is aloud out.

thank you jamie
Briony

Post by Briony »

Hi Jamie, id only have jasper out under supervision espescially if she can fly about.

i usually try for an hour or more a day out of cage time for my birds
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Its up to you but as Briony said they need to be watched, well i cant talk lol, my boy is out of his cage all day adn goes in at night to sleep then out again, if im not home he is locked in his cage, i dont watch him as such as i know he cant fly and i can hear him, or he will walk to the lounge
Sharlene and Amazon
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I think regular outings, this way Jasper will keep in mind that you are in control. If let out all day, the bird may think it rules the roost and begin to become difficult to put away at nights.

Also it will be easier for the times when you need to leave the house, jasper will be use to being put back often.

Just mho.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I have my birds out all day and cage at bedtime, most nights they know where their 'beds' are, we have some rebelous nights though when they want to stay up. I just coax them to the cage with a treat. Didnt take long to train them to go to the cage. Make cage times fun and enviting, give him something to do or eat, they learn fast. :wink: I usually top up their seed/pellets for dinner, by sunset they want some nibbles so they automatically go to the cages to get dinner, then I close the door. :lol:
Oh and I must add, they are not aloud out when Im not home. If I have to go out, I use treats to get them in the cage, but it can be difficult when they know they have a whole day of freedom! Jibby seems to know when my handbag comes out, Im going out, Lola is frustrating at times, but only takes 5 mins at most usually! :roll:
So its up to you really. Just keep in mind your going to have to step up the training and rules, they can get a little bit of attitude with a whole days freedom. But in time it becomes routine. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Amazonite wrote:Its up to you but as Briony said they need to be watched, well i cant talk lol, my boy is out of his cage all day adn goes in at night to sleep then out again, if im not home he is locked in his cage, i dont watch him as such as i know he cant fly and i can hear him, or he will walk to the lounge

come on sharlene, tell the full story.
amazon was left out of his cage, actually i think there is a good chance he didn't even know he had a cage untill he was about 8 months old.
he slept on his gym and spent most of the day just hanging out.
Adam and Dude