Update on Paulie

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Lene

Update on Paulie

Post by Lene »

I have now had Paulie for about 6 months... We haven't had any problems out of the ordinary. I coped with the biting by saying 'gentle' and not pull the hand away... I think that's what you call 'bluffing' - Paulie would lunge at my hand, and if I pulled my hand away she would go in for at bite, but if I kept going in for a step-up she would do just that.

At one stage she was biting a lot, but reading this site, I knew my hand had to show confidence, even if I didn't. At times, when I have been too afraid of a bite to put my hand close, she would increase her length by half, bite hard enough to hold on, and drag my hand close, so she could step up.... (Have you noticed how long they can get, when they want to?)

These days Paulie is an awesome bird full of confidence in herself and me - she snuggles, give kisses, steps up anytime and anywhere - and I haven't even clicker trained her... There's no need, except for maybe some mental stimulation, and she finds all that herself...

For anyone who thinks female IRN's don't make good pets, think again...

I am so happy with her and I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment for both Paulie and I... :D
Cheers

Lene
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Well done Lene on showing that IRN can be great pets with time, effort, and love. :)
From my experience IRNs just need a bit more attention then say tiels. But thats a good thing, get to spend more time with your bird isn't it :D
I know some people who went away for a week, and when they came back their bird was "feral and wild". But all that it would take would be a bit of time spent with the bird and all would be ok.

A few months ago, I babysat a bird I had handraised, as the owner was going away for a week and had not been able to spend much time with her prior to going away so she had gotten a bit nippy. It took me about an hour or so and no more lunging or biting. :)

Keep up the wonderful work!!

:)