Best tips on getting baby Ringneck to talk?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Christibob28

Best tips on getting baby Ringneck to talk?

Post by Christibob28 »

Hello- we just purchased a lacewing Ringneck with the turquoise wings and tail and yellow head. He's beautiful. His name is Bowie as the breeder named him Rainbow but we thought shortening it to Bowie also as an ode to David Bowie was cute. He's just 3 months old and is as sweet as can be. We went in for a month almost every day prior to bringing him home before he was fully weaned to get him used to us. We've had him just under two weeks. He's super sweet and will let anyone hold him. He loves sitting on our shoulders and chirps for us when we are out of site. I'm off for the summer as I'm a teacher so the timing is perfect. He stays out all day and I try talking to him a lot. My question is this:are there any indications this early on that this bird may become a talker or not? He's pretty quiet most of the time. He kind of whines when he's tired and doesn't want to be handled anymore and will whine when he's just tired in general and about to fall asleep. He does chirp once in a while when he hears a noise or is wanting us to come in the room. Otherwise he is pretty quiet. Is it too soon to tell if he will be a talker and are there any tricks to try to get him more vocal?
Babsi

Re: Best tips on getting baby Ringneck to talk?

Post by Babsi »

Im new as well, and seeing noone answered you and our birds are about the same age, lets talk about our birds together. Im in the middle of a chat session with my new ringneck and finding him very attentive in the evening to goofy chatter and face time. How's your baby doing with talking?
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk
Christibob28

Post by Christibob28 »

Sorry-just now saw this. I never got notified that anyone responded. Bowie is 5 months now is really loves to spend time with me. He chirps as I walk through the door to hold him. He wants to be with me ALL THE TIME. Bowie is more vocal in the afternoon/evenings as well. He seems to be making those R2D2 noises like he's trying to talk but so far no real words. I k ow he's still young but just curious if there are tips on getting them to talk sooner than later. How is it going for you?
Babsi

Post by Babsi »

Hey Christibob

As far as I know my little guy is 6 months now and molting for the first time. He is DNA sexed male. He is doing the same thing your ringneck is. In the late morning and about 2-3 pm he goes through squeeky chat sessions with himself if he is alone on his play stand or in the cage. It does seem like he is trying to figure out words . I beleive that is on schedule for the ringnecks. Most videos I see the birds figure out how to sound out the words at about 8-10 months. Keep me posted on yours
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk