New breeding pair with leg band.

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Robin

New breeding pair with leg band.

Post by Robin »

Oh boy---I really stepped into it this time. I purchased a beautiful pair of blue Indians today at a bird show. The person selling the birds told me that they were about 7 years old. Only the male is banded. When I got home and got the birds settled down for a few hours I took the male our to clip his wings and check out his band. The band has the numbers 96 sideways on the band and then the numbers 783 around the band. After some research I can only guess the 96 is the year this bird was hatched. He's beautiful. Could it be possible that he could be 12 years old????? He certainly does not look like it. He and the female appear to be very bonded. Does anyone recognize this band encoding? I have a zillion questions but lets just start with that and ok----maybe a few more----at what age are they no longer capable of breeding? What is the life expectancy of an Indian? I had no intention of purchasing a bird (let alone a breding pair). I have an umbrella cockatoo now and many many moons ago I had raised an indian from a day old chick. HELP!!!!! What have I gotten myself into?????
Robin
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Robin

Congratulations on your beautiful pair of blues...

I think - in order for anyone to know about the legband - you need to tell us where you live, or where you got the birds from... There's a huge world out there, where many people are breeding IRNs.

For example: I live in Brisbane, Australia, and my blue male has the ring number: PSA-11-8436... The only number from this, that I know, is the 11. He was born in November last year.

I'm wondering why you would clip a breeder? Are you planning to tame them?
Cheers

Lene
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

hi sorry to get off subject but Lene where abouts in Brisbane do u live.. just curious as i live in brisbane too lol :D

and as for the leg band my bird has one too, i have absolutely no idea what it means lol
Reearn nd Birdbird
Robin

Post by Robin »

I live in Texas, USA. The only reason I trimmed the wing feathers was becuse since I do not know these birds very well I was not sure how much I could "trust" them. The temporary cage they are in is not very large. I only trimmed the first 3 feathers to limit their flight----not to hurt them. I live in a pretty big house with high ceilings. If they were to escape the cage I was concerned they may hurt themselves and it would be difficult for me to capture them. I also have 3 large dogs which may try to "assist in their capture" :shock: -----so----until I get them settled into a more sturdy cage with a nesting box I felt more comfortable with their wing fethers clipped. Do any of you know the life span of the IRN's? I've read a few articles on the encoding of the leg bands and all I could come up with was the possibility that the first two digits (96) was the year the bird hatched and the second set of numbers (783) was a breeders identification of the specific bird.
Robin
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi Robin

If the #96 is side ways that usually means the year they were hatched.
Does the band have any letters on it or state initials like TX.
I have a pair of blue IRN's that are 13 years old still producing for me. If they are in good healthy condition they can produce all their life. Most breeders don't live to be 30 to 35 years old and that's about the life expectancy of an IRN. A good healthy pair may live 18 to 20 years.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Robin

Post by Robin »

Donna:
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! You've confirmed my suspicions and also answered all my questions!! There are no letters on the leg band. That's what confused me but I had figured the sideways numbers had to be a year hatched. Even at their age I'm thinking these two should be able to produce a few clutches with the right environment, etc. That would at least give me the opportunity to get another blue before these age out. Thanks again so much for all your help.
Robin
Robin
Donna

Post by Donna »

Robin did you buy the birds as a proven pair (meaning they had successfully had live chicks) in the past? I hate to be the one to tell you bad news but there is only a couple reasons a breeder would sell a good producing pair of birds at a bird show. One reason is they have quit producing for them and they no longer want to invest any more time or money into them. Second it's very easy to sell non-producing breeders at a bird show because you will probably never see this person again. There are so many dishonest bird breeders out there I can't even begin to tell you all the bad experiences I've had when I first started buy breeder birds. I wish you better luck!

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Robin

Post by Robin »

Donna:
Doesn't really matter what I was told since I could not prove what was said. The purchase was made solely on the look and condition of the birds. Some people who sell pets are like the proverbial used car sellsman :lol: But-----the story I got was that these people were not breeders. They wanted a blue and found one they wanted but the guy who had it wanted to sell 3 together and would not sell just one. They were not interested in breeding because they wanted a more "hands on bird" to play with and socialize. They bought the 3 and were reselling the breeders and keeping the one. They had no other birds at the show. They assured me that they had not had the birds very long but that they had very recently tried to mate and the people took the box away and gave them toys to play with to discourage the breeding. I plan on setting up a nesting box and adjusting their diet this week to encourage breeding to see if I can get them back on track.
Robin
Donna

Post by Donna »

Do you have any experience in breeding IRN's or any other birds?

Have you handfed baby birds?

Do you know the incubation time for IRN's?

These are just a couple of things you have to consider before you start breeding and getting babies. Here is a link you can go to to get more info.

http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/artbreed.htm

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Robin

Post by Robin »

Understood. I have no experience in breeding IRN's. My son is a successful budgie breeder though so that should help a little. I have hand raised a IRN from day one so I know about that part. If I remember correctly the incubation period is 23 days? But believe me----I'll be doing a lot more research now. Thanks bunches for the link-----will definitely study it in great detail. The more info I get the better prepared (not that you can ever be totally prepared) :shock: . lol
Robin
Donna

Post by Donna »

Cool glad I could help a little!! :D

I have an Umbrella Cockatoo too! B.J. Just turned a year old He is a hoot.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both