Your birds name?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

wannabe

Your birds name?

Post by wannabe »

Do you use it when talking to them?
We have another bird, we named him we always use his name when talking to him or referring to him.
I think perhaps because we adopted our ringie and he was already named we kinda don't use his name.. :( We thought about renaming him but can't because we feel it would be disrespectful to his past owners and also that perhaps he likes his name, we also couldn't come up with anything we would use more than his real name either... he doesn't say his name though he says tons of other stuff but not his name..
We call him 'the bird' just too much when discussing him, or blue bird, baby, pretty bird... etc
I feel sad that we do this...
I need to make a conscious effort to use his real name don't you think??
Lene

Post by Lene »

I have renamed 2 of my birds... My sun Conure came with the name 'Rambo', and it just did not suit him. I named him Charlie.

My Corella's name was Elvis and I renamed him Cory..

They quickly get used to their new name, and I always use their names when speaking to them or about them.

You can always give him a 'nick name'.
Cheers

Lene
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Jibby's real name is Gilbert.. but over the years it somehow morphed into Jibby or (Gibby) I just prefer it with a 'J'. hehe. We have always called him this, I dont know why, probably just a random name we called him once, it just stuck from there, and now he knows his name as Jibby or Jibs and responds to this rather than Gilbert. I also looked up the meaning of 'Jibby' and most of the meanings wernt very nice, but one said that its a name you give someone when you cant think of a better name? haha what a coincidence!
I think its important for them to know their name, so they can respond to you when you call for them. It grabs their attention. I also say their name before I talk to them. Jibby also says his name.. and now Yoda copies.
I'd love to change Yodas name, but somehow I think we are stuck with it because Yoda knows his name now. Bugga! I just dont think it fits his personality anymore. :? 'Yoda' is meant to be old and wise.. our Yoda is young and jumps into trouble head first! haha.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh and its very important if your bird is not clipped, if you can get them to 'come' to you by using their name. Most of the time, mine come flying in from their hiding spots when I call for them. Its like Jibby has a special call for Yoda and vice versa. Lots of birds have 'special' calls for their 'flock members'. I just think of a name as my flock call to them. :lol:
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

I just need to rattle a bag or something and mine is all over me... maybe we should just call him 'hungry' or 'piggy' :lol:

I really need to put some serious thought into whether we are keeping his original name or not but as it stands I feel he is kind of nameless, there is nothing wrong with his name it is just hard for me to call him it too maybe because I don't feel he is mine as much because it reminds me we havnt' always had him it could be psychological.
I'm sure i'll get over it...
Last edited by wannabe on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Oh yes, chip packets are a great tool for getting them to come to you. hehe. I always liked 'Cookie' like the 'Cookie monster' on Sesame street. haha.
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

I feel like he just needs a fantastic name to do him justice nothing we came up with did that so we just dont' call him anything.. :roll:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I know what you mean, I feel a bit the same about Yoda. It just doesnt feel right calling him that. But then, I am undecisive and I always change my mind! lol. Names are serious business though. They have to fit a big personality! Take your time, I'm sure your he wont mind. :wink:
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

It's funny you have a 'Yoda' one of the names on my list before I got one with a name.. was 'Vada' not like Darth Vader though but I knew that's what people would think, Vada is an Indian bread and from the movie 'My Girl', I thought that would be neat because I have two young boys so they would like that thinking it was Star Wars and I'd like it knowing it wasn't... haha...
coccinelle888

Post by coccinelle888 »

I use came my Fids names all the time. Jack came to me with the name Jack but I call her Applejack and green chicken.She says chicken but not Jack,Airrick was named that by his foster home at the sanctuary he came from and he says his name really good,Kivu my Grey says her name and uses it evry day.She was named after a lake in the Congo by her former owners.
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Gigi came with his name (yes Gigi is a boy! I guess they thougth he was a girl) But I call him Gigi bird or G bird. All my animals have names AND nicknames. It's hard to name a baby animal, because it takes a while for their personalities to shine through. That's why all mine end up with nicknames.
Although right now, since Gigi bird is in breeding mode, he tends to get called Satan or evil bird. LOL
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Yes I always call my fids with their name, its good to make them get used to their own name.
Bella

Post by Bella »

Billy came with his name too i did want to change it but as he shouts oh billy i thought i should leave it lol :D
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i use Amazon;s name the time even though his name is Amazonite he gets called that when he is in trouble and he knows it.

Amazon has always been clipped and can get to me very fast when he wants to :)

We have a flock call for him aswell the wolf whislte, when he hears that he answers back, lucky we did it as he flew to a tree and we couldnt see him at all he has moved trees, we did a wolf whistle he answered back and we found he (lucky) only time he flew ( i was on the way to get him clipped didnt think he had that much flight, but proved me wrong).

He doesnt go too far even at home he will wonder out the door on his feet and call to let me know where he is so i will go outside and sit down with him till he has finished.
Sharlene and Amazon
bec

a rose by any other name

Post by bec »

i renamed my irn when i got him because my first thought when i met him was he doesnt look like a bluey he looks like a kieron so kieron it is ive only had him a bit over a week but he already turns & looks at me when i call his name (not when i call riku) our other ring neck the first 2 days i had him i sat in front of there cages & for 2 hours i took turns feedingt them treats with kieron he got a treat for responding to his name with riku she got bored coz she knows her name so i said riku come for her to get her treat kept both of them happy fro ages & was quite relaxing time for me too the only problem is ive created a pair of monsters they are both screeching at me now coz they know its game time again but back to the name thing if it doesnt feel right change it or alter it slightly what ever you do your bird will adjust
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

yeah i always use cookies name and he says it all the time he comes when i call his name too
laine

Post by laine »

Hi, I use Smokey's name although he gets called "babby". if i can't find him (usually he's hiding somewhere in his washing line) I call out 'Where are you Smokey?) and he climbs to the top and reveals himself. If, on the odd occassion, he doesn't surface, I just call out 'do you want some bikky? and he comes out quick smart. I have also thought about changing his name as he has no interest in saying his name or is it that I don't use it enough?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Funny you say he 'reveals' himself. My 2 hide behind the blinds. I call their names, then I hear a little 'pitter patter' of little feets, then they pop just their heads out. hehe If they don't respond I know theyre up to something. :wink:
bandgirl17543

Post by bandgirl17543 »

We got our IRN from a rescue the name she came with was sparkle. We changed it to Azure,We aren't positive it's a female so we wanted something that could go either way and sparkle just sounded to feminine. She is only 10 months - a yr old so we still have time for that ring to show if it's going to. SHe definatley postures like a girl tho . ANyway back on topic , lol sorry. We have many nicknames for her , clucky blue chicken, clucky mcgee, and as of late bitchy girl cuz she is so hormonal.I also call her baby girl I do use her name when she is getting into something she shouldn't and I have been saying it more and more to her so she recognizes it. :D
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

Thanks for all the responses guys...
I do seem to use his real name when I really want his attention I really don't think he knows it though .. I'm still in a bit of a quandary, I am so hoping something comes up soon...
Today he is being called 'Smooch' and 'Monkey' one minute he's being a monkey and the next all Smoochy.. lol