anyone had joint replacements?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

alana8819

anyone had joint replacements?

Post by alana8819 »

hey all know it has nothing to do with birds but my partner has rheumatoid arthritis had it since he was three anyways he is 28 this year and he needs his elbow replaced since we're still youngens we dont know anyone that has had it done. so if anyone has had a replacement what was it like, how long did it take you to recover? also how much usage do you get out of the joint cause we were told he wont be able to lift anything over five kilos and he is a sign writer so he is also worried bout playing with our kids when we have some so anyone at all with any replacements whether it be hip, knee, elbow whatever do you have any advice
cheers :D
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Alana

I don't know about elbows, but both my parents had hip replacements over 30 years ago, and mum is still going strong... Dad died of unrelated causes in '99.

Procedures and materials would have improved a lot since then, and would improve your partners quality of life tremendously.

Sad to hear someone so young needs a procedure like that... :(

Best of luck.
Cheers

Lene
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

thank lene :D yeah he is young but it has to be done he cant straighten his elbow or bend it all the way either so it makes movement pretty limited :( the replacement will do wonders we're both just nervous about it
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

I have two friends who had hip replacements this fall and one with a knee replacement in January. They range from mid 40's to mid 60's and all are doing well & are furious with themselves for having it put off for so long. I've other friends who have had similar surgeries and the worst I have ever heard is rehab taking a bit longer than expected, but no regrets! Go for it.
MCS
inept

Post by inept »

Have you heard of Remicade, by any chance? If not, you should talk to your doctor about it and whether it's a viable treatment option. It's still fairly new and extremely expensive but it's supposed to be amazing for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I receive Remicade treatments for Crohn's Disease, another chronic autoimmune disorder, and the nurses who administer it to me have first-hand stories of almost complete restoration of mobility in Rheumatoid Arthritis patients over the course of a year of treatments.
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i have crohns disease too. i will definitely look into that for both of us.
i know how horrible it is with crohns i was diagnosed when i was 16 i have had so many blockages in my small bowel that they were going to remove part of it but it got a little better, my crohns has given me bad problems with my uterus and bladder as well thank you so much i will definitely try it out