DNA sexing

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Lene

DNA sexing

Post by Lene »

Hi

I have recently ordered sexing kits from Molecular Diagnostic Services Australia, so I can get all my birds DNA sexed.

I will be doing the blood samples myself, and was just wondering, if any of you have done this?
Cheers

Lene
pinkdevil

Re: DNA sexing

Post by pinkdevil »

Lene wrote:Hi

I have recently ordered sexing kits from Molecular Diagnostic Services Australia, so I can get all my birds DNA sexed.

I will be doing the blood samples myself, and was just wondering, if any of you have done this?

Yep do here. Well I don't actually prick the birds for the blood sample, thats B/Fs job lol. I can't bear to stick a needle in my birdies :cry: besides I can't handle needles :roll: :oops: :?[/b]
Donna

Post by Donna »

I can't bear to stick a needle in my birdies

Why would you have to use a needle? Don't you just cut a toenail till you get blood?
I do all my testing myself through Avianboitech, They send me the results to me by e-mail.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

The DNA kit we are sent provides a small needle to prick the toe of the bird till blood then blot the blood onto a special strip of paper. Both the needle and the blotting paper is put into a safelock tube container which is then sent off the the lab. Results are sent via email and a cetificate if wanted at extra cost.

I have not cut the toenail until it bleeds. I think that a quick prick (which is recommended by the lab) of a needle would be less painfull then having a toenail cut! But that is just purely my opinion.

:)
Bella

Post by Bella »

:o cutting the toe nails sounds lots more painful
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Donna

Post by Donna »

I guess the pain of a needle or cutting the toenail would probably be equally painfull :roll: I would have to ask the bird, and there is also feather testing pluck a few feathers!

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i would use the quick prick when cookie had his nails clipped he moved as the vet cut it and it bleed a fair bit and annoyed him for ages. the prick would be over in a second where as the toe nail really seems to bother them i dont even clip cookies nails now i give them a quick file and he likes it. if the nail gets cut to short they cant grip food properly. good luck with the kits lene :D
Donna

Post by Donna »

if the nail gets cut to short they cant grip food properly.

It all depends if ya know what your doing. You don't have to cut a nail to much to get it to bleed, and it's ONE nail so there is no causing the bird any more pain then the prick of a needle and no ill effects later when perching or holding food.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Lene

Post by Lene »

I did all the blood samples yesterday. The small prick did not appear to hurt the birds at all.. Paulie had my finger in his beak, but didn't bite down. I got one bite from one of the cockatiels. The cockatiels were the only ones needing towelling.

There was no bleeding on any of the birds, except for the drop needed for the sample.

The birds all got a treat after they had been done, and then left in their cages for the next 2 hours... It was easy.
Cheers

Lene
Lene

DNA results

Post by Lene »

Paulie (green IRN) is female.

Cory - Corella - female
Charlie - Sun Conure - female
Teeko and Baby - cockatiels - females
Shrek - Quaker - male
Cheers

Lene
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Ohhhh congrats on finally knowing what sex is what lol
And all the names fit with the sexes to...an extra bonus ;)

:)
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

Congrats on the results!
-Justin
Lene

Post by Lene »

I renamed Cory, when I got her... Her name Elvis just didn't fit, even though I didn't know her sex.

I also renamed Charlie - her name was Rambo, and also didn't fit her personality at all...

It's so difficult to start writing she and her, when I've been using the 'he/him' for all the birds...

I'm extremely excited by knowing the sexes of them all.
Cheers

Lene
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Congrates on the DNA sexs.

Ive never heard of the needle way of DNA we took two feathers from Amazons tail the small ones he didnt mind too much sent them away and get a cert to say male.

Learn something every day i guess
Sharlene and Amazon