IRN weening

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Jessica

IRN weening

Post by Jessica »

Hi all
i have had my IRN (Dexter) since he was 2 - 3 weeks old and have hand raised him. He is now approx 9 - 10 weeks old and I am only feeding him once per day. I wanted to know what was the normal age to stop hand feeding them as i have seen that some people dont stop completely until they are alot older. He has also started carrying on like a pork-chop....constantly wobbling his head and screeching at me for food. It is driving me insane!!!! I dont think he has also got the idea of eating seed as it is never touched.
Help would be greatly appreciated,
Jess
julie

Post by julie »

try him on some corn and other soft things. They usually start of playing with it throwing it around ect and then eventually start tasting it. Keep on offering the hand feeds until he no longer wants it.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Is he eating fruits and veggies? I would put the baby back on 2 feedings morning and night until he refuses them. You can not just cut them off and not feed them if they are still begging. Offer the seeds and pellets after the hand feeding this always stimulates them into eating on their own.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

oh i forgot to mention. i give him heaps of fruit and veggies and he eats most of them (he was playing with them but now eats them). he also was eating these pellet things i bought but he doesnt seem interested in them anymore.
so they will stop taking the hand formula when they want to and naturally progress onto seed? he started flying about 2 weeks ago so i thought that he was ready to come off the formula.
thankyou everyone :)
julie

Post by julie »

They normally cut down on the food intake just before fledging (flying) in order to get off the ground. But they do still require hand feeding until they flat out refuse to eat it anymore.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

ok, thanks julie :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

Most avian behaviorists and breeders have come to the conclusion, after many years of observation, that force weaning a bird leads to behavioral problems later on in the bird's life.

It's best to keep on with the last feeding at night (at least) until it is consistantly refused.

Every parrot will wean at his own time.

If he only gets attention while being fed, that could lead to him 'crying' for food when he really wants attention.

Veggies and fruits are the most important things he could be eating anway- with some scrambled or hard-boiled egg thrown in for good measure. :)

Feed the fresh stuff at sunup, as this is when they normally begin eating. You can feed again in the late afternoon.

And figure out if he's actually eating the veggies and fruits, or just taking them apart and dropping them. :?

Most babes will play with seed at first- one of the best seeds to start with is millet. It's small, easy to shell and tasty. Once they've mastered millet, they can move on to other seeds.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Great advice here, I have nothing to add. Thanks team!!
-Chamon-