Advice on adopting a (wild ringneck)

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Stevecz77

Advice on adopting a (wild ringneck)

Post by Stevecz77 »

Hi Everyone. I recently moved to new location in Australia. Ive been feeding the local birds on my balcony and have noticed a blue ringneck visiting... ive tried to get close but he (not sure if boy or girl) likes people. Anyways about 3 months later on my way to work i saw someone hit a bird with their car. I jumped out of my car and ran over to pick it up he was the same bird id been feeding. he was all stunned, luckly there was a vet 2 min drive away. Anyways 3 weeks later RSPCA hasnt found the owner spite he has a collar around his foot. Im thinking of adoptinh him.
I dont know how old he is.
I dont know if hes a boy or girl
I dont know how long hes been out in the wild, could be years.
If i adopted him is there a possibility i could tame him at all. Could i have him settle on my finger one day.

Any advice? Anything i should know before i say yes?

I have had a ringneck before for about 2 years 12 years ago he was hand raised sadly a snake visited one day. Luckly no snakes in the area i live in now.

Many thanks for any responces.

Steve
InTheAir

Re: Advice on adopting a (wild ringneck)

Post by InTheAir »

Hi there,

It is hard to know if he will respond well to being a pet, if he is an ex pet he may respond very well. Taming birds has so many variables... and I guess the main thing is assessing what you want from him if you do adopt him. If you want a super tame shoulder rider, it is possible but not necessarily probable.
He would probably have a better time with you than staying at the rspca though.

If you have the band numbers you could try posting on mutations area of this forum, there are a few aussy breeders on here and someone may recognise the breeder code.

If you do get him, it might be a good idea to keep him in a snake proof cage when he is outside and unsupervised. We don't often see snakes at our place, but we did find a massive snake skin in the garden shed on Christmas day :shock:

Best of luck with making up your mind.
valcoff

Post by valcoff »

I personally would take the chance. Having a band means he was an aviary bird and registered at some time.
If you can't find the owner then you have a great bird. You could get it DNA tested. The male has a black band on the face and neck. The female doesn't.
aus_Amanda

Post by aus_Amanda »

Hiya, did you adopt Ringneck?