All registrations must be approved by an admin. Having problems with registration? E-mail us at indianringnecks@gmail.com

hello vegans!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Locked
fiona J
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:48 pm
Location: NEDERLANDS,

hello vegans!

Post by fiona J » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:57 am

hi all :)
i am 32 yrs old and vegan 10 yrs now.
i am vegan because i dont want to eat my friends, animals.

User avatar
BigChicken
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:46 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Contact:

...

Post by BigChicken » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:17 am

Hi there, 7 years for me...

User avatar
BigChicken
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:46 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Contact:

cookie treat

Post by BigChicken » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:16 am

Did you see my vegan parrot cookie treat recipe?
http://www.indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5031

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:09 am

hi all

i am not vegan, at the time, i think will be in the future.
now, i am lacto-ovo vegetarian
i dont eat meat and chicken but eat eggs,milk and their products.
meat consuption is not nececcery for human feeding, so i choose not to eat animals, like fiona j, i think this is a cruel.
when i visit amsterdam, i love to eat falafel from maoz, its perfect, do you fiona?
Now i am 39 yo, and i am vegetarian the last 19 years.
My wife is also vegetarian , and now is pregnant, our boy will be a vegetarian too.
what is your reasons bigchicken?

User avatar
BigChicken
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:46 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Contact:

Why veggie?

Post by BigChicken » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:12 am

Nil, my involvement with animal, reptile, and parrot adoptions let me see first hand how cold, unfeeling, and brutally cruel we humans can be. When animals are killed for human consumption, the pain, fear, and desperation to survive that all animals have should be reason enough, but most of us choose to ignore it. I can not. The day I held my Spiky (rescued iguana) in my hands as she died because of poor care as a juvenile, looking her in the eyes, changed my view on life, and my place in this world. As for the earth, the staggering waste that occurs when crops are grown for live stock, rather than human consumption is scandalous. In the USA, 80% of water pollution comes directly from pig farming! So many reasons.....Just want to do what I can.

User avatar
alana8819
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:20 am
Location: australia
Contact:

Post by alana8819 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:38 pm

i used to be a vegetarian was for 8 years but i got crohns disease and fish and small amounts of chicken have really helped. i love falafel too its soooo yum we have an excellent cafe in lismore that makes the most wonderful falafel balls i'd eat them every day if i could.

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:04 pm

alana please send me a lot of them :)
the maoz in amsterdam have also a very rich and exotic salad bar, a pita with falafel and many salads and sauces.... its perfect.

fiona J
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:48 pm
Location: NEDERLANDS,

Post by fiona J » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:51 pm

i think bigchicken your cookie must be nice for me too

maoz is a my favorite place nil

antonia l
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:06 am

Post by antonia l » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:30 am

hello there
i am lacto vegetarian 12 years now

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:19 pm

hello green antonia l, its nice to be here :)

dan
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Post by dan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Hey I'm vegetarian too. I have dary though. Would a little bit of milk be ok for my IRN? He tried a drop, seemed to love it.

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England

Post by Bella » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:19 am

dan wrote:Hey I'm vegetarian too. I have dary though. Would a little bit of milk be ok for my IRN? He tried a drop, seemed to love it.


I asked this a while ago they cannot digest milk
Image
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)

User avatar
ryelle
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:25 am
Location: N.E England

Post by ryelle » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:02 am

i was vegetarian for like 2 yrs until i got crazy cravings and ate a massive chicken curry one night :shock: :roll:

i still refuse to eat certain things though... like baby animals.... and i have this thing about skin... omg ><

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:55 pm

Would a little bit of milk be ok for my IRN? He tried a drop, seemed to love it.


as bella says, parrots cant digest lactose, so is better to avoid milk and milk products, but on occasion only and at very little amounts of it isnt problem.
cheese is better than milk, has more protein and many less lactose.

Aces Wild
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: New York

Post by Aces Wild » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:49 pm

I am a meat eater but I wanted to add here that here in southern NY you don't really come across vegitarians or vegans. I wonder why that is? I was raised on meat and potatoes (irish family).

I am very surprised to see so many non-animal eaters in one spot. Not saying its a bad thing, but its something I don't come across every day here in real life!
Image

dan
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Post by dan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:27 am

I don't think I could eat meat if I tried.

I asked my bird vet about giving birds milk today, she seemed to think it is fine now and then but she did say most would just go through them.

User avatar
IndianRingneckBoy
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:40 am
Location: Staffordshire, England
Contact:

Post by IndianRingneckBoy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:22 am

I mainly eat meat cause im religus, its an anciant one, its about dragons and how they are gods.

alvo i wont at rare or indangered creatures or exotic.
IRN - Koi
Cats - Ozzy,Marely,Chester

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:04 pm

sorry dan i cant understand what your vet says....

Amazonite
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:31 pm

Post by Amazonite » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:26 pm

dan wrote:I don't think I could eat meat if I tried.

I asked my bird vet about giving birds milk today, she seemed to think it is fine now and then but she did say most would just go through them.


I dont find milk is too bad if its given in very small amounts and not all the time, Amazon gets a littel bit of milk every so often and his poop has never changed and he has been checked over and he is fine, nothing wrong with him.
Sharlene and Amazon
Image

Fah
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post by Fah » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:55 am

IndianRingneckBoy wrote:I mainly eat meat cause im religus, its an anciant one, its about dragons and how they are gods.

alvo i wont at rare or indangered creatures or exotic.


O.o

On another note:

I will honestly eat nearly anything that myelf, and the generations behind me ate, we all live our lives the way we choose and I respect each and every persons choices in life. It is actually quite curious the amount of strong vegans that we have in our little community here.

In Australia, it is still quite the uncommon thing to be a vegan, very much so infact. I have known several vegetarians or partial forms of (and I know the difference :P) but they were due to medical / religious reasons nothing really as a personal statement.

On another note, your birds need protein, in one source or another... and this is a fact that cannot be avoided. The only reason people use meat is due to its 1) price in comparison to alternatives and 2) availability.

Other products as rich in proteins can in many parts be far more expensive, or need to be bought in far greater quantities. And I have seen my birds as an example eat grubs (generally the grass lava that crawl out in wet weather and onto the concrete) and they do this for dietary reasons in the wild, some parrots more so than others.

On another note: please dont give your birds milk except heavily integrated with another food substance, I dont know what the vet said to Dan, but milk is a solid nono for them in much more than very little amounts... each bird is different based on what you have fed them in the past, but it often leads to diarrhea, causing dehydration in your birds... which can often prove fatal.

Like a dog... you feed it real chocolate in enough quantity (not alot), and it will love it to death... literally. Just because it likes something does not mean its good...

I know this sorta went haywire and offtopic, sorry :P

dan
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Post by dan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:04 am

Thanks, I havent given him any milk since the first week I had him. But that may be because Ive become vegan since too.

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:18 pm

here you can see a interesting video about the reason i am vegeterian,
unfortunately most people dont know anything about meat industry
http://www.meat.org/

Fah
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post by Fah » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:27 am

nil wrote:here you can see a interesting video about the reason i am vegeterian,
unfortunately most people dont know anything about meat industry
http://www.meat.org/


Personally I think this topic doesnt need sites like that. It is a site geared purely to hate meat... you dont learn anything by looking at one sided topics.

You learn about industries by researching "current" industries that farm what you eat.. thankfully we have not had low standards like that in Australia for quite some time.

Everyone has points of view towards why they eat what they eat... and im not even going to get started on how industry changes and things like that. Not to mention how old some of that footage is.

This site is a happy, relaxed site, lets keep it as one and leave the debate to other places. This is a topic just for "hey, i am, nice to meet another one too" and I was casually dropping into say hey, its cool so many of you are dedicated enough to stick with it.

Even though im not, i respect people who are, just dont lable those who arent vegan / vegetarian as supporters of that kind of behaviour :D

Peace.

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:10 pm

This site is a happy, relaxed site, lets keep it as one and leave the debate to other places

i havent intention to blemish the site, or reproach the non vegerenians, it was just a post to a specific topic with many vegans there.
you dont learn anything by looking at one sided topics

what is the other site? happy animals who give their meat with love?

Fah
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post by Fah » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:41 pm

You may not have intentionally meant to bring disrepute to a happy thread... however meat.org is a historicly anti-meat site, that has no other intention of taking the most terrible and disgusting examples of humans errors regarding the food industry and labeling it across anyone associated with meat.

nil wrote:what is the other site? happy animals who give their meat with love?


You just proved my point with that smart arsed responce as that does beg for a retort. Not going to be posting in this thread again as you obviously arent capable of not bringing this into an argument. Once again, thanks for proving a point.

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:56 pm

fah if you have time, i have a post at the behavior and taming for lazaros, i would grateful for your advice

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:03 pm

you have right, this conversation is unrelated with this site :)

User avatar
PuffnFresh
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Australia

Post by PuffnFresh » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:07 am

isnt going vegetatian very unhealthy as your are not getting much iron and protein and all the good stuff. and it tastes soooo good!!!

dan
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Post by dan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:17 pm

oh geez. lets keep it as a 'vegetarians in the group post' Not a moral argument. And I'm happy and healthy for the record.

User avatar
PuffnFresh
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Australia

Post by PuffnFresh » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:30 pm

you may be healthy now but it can cause alot of problems down the track. Animals create amino acids that our body does not make however these amino acids are nessecary for good health. and iron defficiancy and all the other problems. my friend was a vegetarian but she had alot of problems and she got very ill.

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:20 am

lets keep it as a 'vegetarians in the group post' Not a moral argument.

i agree with you dan, how many years are you vegeterian, are you vegan?


you may be healthy now but it can cause alot of problems down the track. Animals create amino acids that our body does not make however these amino acids are nessecary for good health. and iron defficiancy and all the other problems. my friend was a vegetarian but she had alot of problems and she got very ill.

Puffnfresh, i know also a lot of people ( and you know too) who eat meat with serious health problems like cancers, so itsnt so easy to make conclusions.
i havent eat meat the last 20 yrs, and my iron is much better than before.

dan
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Post by dan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:08 am

As far as I know, a vegetarian diet is much healthier, from articles and tv shows i've seen,
but I'm not in it for health reasons.

When I was little my parents use to force me to eat meat. I guess they thought they were doing the right thing, but I discovered around the age of 8, that I could bring it up after they forced me without them knowing. Thinking back it was pretty dangerous. I kept doing that till I was in my teens.
So naturally I stopped eating meat when I could.

I've been vegetarian on and off for about 10 years.
I say on and off because I had some fish and chips about 2 years ago.

I've only been vegan for about 3 months now. I'll see how that goes but I pretty much know I'll never eat red meat or chicken. The smell alone makes me nauseous.

dan
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Post by dan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:11 am

Animal rights came into it for me about 3 years ago.

robin.s
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:40 am
Location: texas

Post by robin.s » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:35 am

most doctors will tell you that SOME meat (specifically red meat and fish) is needed in your diet, for long term positive health benefits. *shrug*

There is meat or meat byproducts in MOST things. even what we feed our birds, cats, dogs, horses, cows etc. We naturally as human are omnivores.

i personally eat meat but i have no problem with those who choose to be a vegetarian.

although i have to agree with Fah as far as that video was concerned. I think it was rather uncalled for.

dan
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Post by dan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:07 pm

I think that link was very appropriate for a vegetarian post, and animal
pet forum. I'm sure many found it interesting.

Thank you

Fah
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post by Fah » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:37 am

This is why I was affraid about how this topic was going to go.

Regarding the video that is in meat.org, it is a contrived pile of horse **** (pardon the language) based on shocking and old technologies and ancient mal-practice legal battles. Any idiot in our modern societies (america, australia, many parts of europe etc) who thinks we still adhere to those policies and methods needs a smack in the face. And if you are in a part of the world who DOES have anything to do with that, its your responsibility to choose your products from somewhere else.

I get very angry about stupid arguments where there is no right and wrong and its dissapointing people are so narrow minded to bother arguing about it. Being a vegetarian is PURELY a personal choice based on self experiences / medical reasons / life choices. Imposing personal beliefs on ANYONE is wrong (whether veg or not).

You can type in "why being a vegetarian is right" and "why being a vegetarian is wrong" and both times you will see some very well founded reasons, and some very retarded reasons. This is a WORLD CLASS debate.... people need to realise if they truely think they can pose a good enough, FLAWLESS reason for either side, then front up to the PLANET and throw the argument at EVERYONE... because so far... not one single side is winning... and you seriously wont win it here. So dont bother.

People need to grow up and realise that this thread was about bringing vegetarians / vegans together and people like myself posted saying "good job, not for me, but your not hurting anyone and deffinately not doing anything wrong so grats and its interesting to see such a large portion of bird lovers who are vegans".

I eat meat for personal choice. I do NOT support farming practices that are barbaric.. and infact Australia happens to be the world leader in animal rights unless im mistaken... we punish with extreme severity people in the agricultural industries who do not follow the most humane of acts.

I also do not support much of the fruit and vegetable industry and I pick my sellers very carefully, as much of the "cheaper" imported fruit and veg we get is from countries that DO NOT HAVE REGULATIONS placed on the fertilisation of their foods. Its funny how quickly people forget that we often import food that is fertilized with human faeces... sometimes with uncoontrolled checking.

"Human faeces is considered a valuable nutrient source in a number of countries. For example in China, in Japan, in Korea, but also in some countries of Africa and South-America nutrients of faeces utilise in agriculture."

Source:::::::
http://orgprints.org/8477/01/njf4.pdf
Source:::::::

Take a quick look around and see where your food is being imported from, and if you believe so strongly about it.. then ask and chase up exactly what sources the food is coming from. You may be suprised at how much of it comes from countries that are all for the use of human fertilization.

If you are so very riteous enough to believe you are better than someone else for your actions and choices "whether a vegetarian or not" in your diet... then you need your head read and vent your issues somewhere other than what I used to think was for simple, relaxed, bird enthusiasts to get together.

Grow up, dont post "im right your wrong" rubbish in this thread, as it wasnt started with that in mind. Dont fuel this further by throwing your two cents in as to why you think being a vego is best, or why its not...

User avatar
nil
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Athens-Greece

Post by nil » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:41 am

As far as I know, a vegetarian diet is much healthier, from articles and tv shows i've seen,
but I'm not in it for health reasons.

i am sure that a vegan diet is healthier than meat but I'm not in it for health reasons, too
When I was little my parents use to force me to eat meat. I guess they thought they were doing the right thing, but I discovered around the age of 8, that I could bring it up after they forced me without them knowing. Thinking back it was pretty dangerous. I kept doing that till I was in my teens.
So naturally I stopped eating meat when I could.

:lol: the same with me, i stoped it when i was in university
i remember my parents harassed me to eat cows liver because i had anemia, now after 20 yrs in vegeterian diet i am completely fine

Regarding the video that is in meat.org, it is a contrived pile of horse **** (pardon the language) based on shocking and old technologies and ancient mal-practice legal battles. Any idiot in our modern societies (america, australia, many parts of europe etc) who thinks we still adhere to those policies and methods needs a smack in the face. And if you are in a part of the world who DOES have anything to do with that, its your responsibility to choose your products from somewhere else.

I eat meat for personal choice. I do NOT support farming practices that are barbaric.. and infact Australia happens to be the world leader in animal rights unless im mistaken... we punish with extreme severity people in the agricultural industries who do not follow the most humane of acts.

and what is the modern practises in civilised countries?
lets see per example the chicken farming...
the pure ckicks placed in small cages for all their life .
in this cage the chicken cant walk not even standing., their feet are degenerate.
They don’t sleep (or only few hours ) and feeding all day.
Their foods are completely artificial ( mixes of animal derivatives like chicken bones,derms,heads with vegetable derivatives enrichment with supplements, antibiotics, and other drugs, even hormones)
If chicken feeding with the appropriate food like wheat, corn and vegetables, one kilo of their meat will be cost 8-10 times more expensive than usual.
...and when they become 27 days old they killed.
at that point a chicken weight is more than 4 kilos, in a country farming it need more than 10 months to reach that weight!!!
The kill is also modern.
Employers put out the chicken from cages and hang them from their feet in a moving cable. This cable move the chickens to a wheel, at the end of whell there is a knife that cut their heads.
In one day a medium size slaughter house kill more than 100000 chicks.
So, I don’t think is a big difference between a barbaric and a prim kill.
Kill is kill.

Fah
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post by Fah » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Fair enough Nil, you have your feelings, and you dont even have to think about the other side, as its your choice. Once again, you refuse to let this topic rest and you patheticly drag it down again. Good job at proving your stubborn nature.

Regarding that chicken rubbish you talked about... i dont know a SINGLE example of anything that appalling here in Australia. Grow the **** up and realise that the entire world doesnt follow your "IDEA" of what goes on.. as you seriously have not done your research on this topic lol if your county does things like that.. well I can see why you dont eat it. I wouldnt either. But that is up to the consumer to deal with.

I also like how so far your argument is based on OLD ways, or ways of 2nd or 3rd world countries. I also like how you dont actually know exactly how your vegan diet works :P You just believe its healthier. (for neutrality... vegans are perfectly capable of being perfectly healthy just like a person who eats meat, its all about matching the right nutritional values etc.. a meat eater can be as healthy as a vegetarian / vegan... and vis versa, it all boils down to matching the needs of the body.. and really both styles of diet DO that)

I will say once more... if you truely put yourself on a pedestal, and hold your self as a better person, you make yourself look like an idiot to people like me. I am sure that I look like an idiot to you... and thats fine :D Just dont be arrogant enough to throw your opinion around and talk about things you apparently dont fully understand and maybe never will.

THIS IS A WORLD CLASS DEBATE, and im amazed at how vigerously you attempt to trash the meat industry as a whole (and meat eaters in the process) when you yourself are rather ineptly capabable of backing up much of what you say (and please for the next time you take part in this kind of debate... do some heavy research on areas of modern meat production, food sustainability.. you will find the world outside your rather lacking google searches is quite big).

I think the path this topic is going to soon take is going to be a sad one, as I dont believe people are able to keep their personal issues to themselves and let the debate rest.

Locked