University were pets are allowed in the accomondation

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Ainon

University were pets are allowed in the accomondation

Post by Ainon »

I'm searching for an university in australia, NZ or USA were the accomondation allows you to have pets.

Everything is very welcome!
//Elina with my friend Apple, a red-lored amazon
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

None in NZ that I know of, unless you rent your own place but even then if its close to uni its highly unlikely as our uni's are in the city centres and most landlords in the middle of the city will not allow pets.
-Chamon-

Jim

Post by Jim »

The University of Pennsylvania has some provisions for allowing birds in on-campus residences. Admission is very competitive and tuition is very expensive, though.

The State University of New York at Canton also has a one dormitory set aside for students with pets.

You can probably find a few others in the USA by googling "pets" and "dorms".

www.penn.edu
www.canton.edu
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Alot of people over here seem to rent their own place or a room for rent rather than live on campus. It all depends on the landlords. Sometimes, 'No pets' can just mean cats or dogs. Some allow other pets.
Here we have city campuses and the outer suburbs campuses. Some people live a few kms from Uni. So maybe if you can't find accomodation suitable on campus you could always try elsewhere and bus it in/or drive. :wink:

Here is a link to Australian Unis..
http://www.australian-universities.com/
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

If you are talking to landlords (rather than the university), they may allow a bird although they don't officially allow pets. If she is caged when you are not home, there is really not a potential for property damage (just noise), so they may be persuaded. Good to see you here!
MCS
Fah

Post by Fah »

Renting / Share situations etc are about your only hope here in Australia... I have been going to Uni for 7 years now over a few different states... none of which have or plan to offer pet support.

Problems they face are allergies / noise / health risks etc Basicly the only thing you could expect to get away with in an "on-campus" setting is fish. Even a student reporting slight noise that is disturbing their study routine (they may not like birds and thats just your bad luck) will mean you have to find a new home for it pretty quick.

Worst comes to worst.. you could always find a local breeder who would be willing to feed and house your pet (providing you support with a cage, food costs... and quite obviously a cash amount for the effort and responsibility). Then you would have to tackle visiting times that dont put that person out of joint and such.

Personally, I would not tackle the situation unless you had absolutely no other choice, i.e. friends back home to look after it etc.

I am not being doubtful... you will have 100% success rate when it comes to renting with a caged bird, and just luck when it comes to share situations. Though campus situations will most certainly leave you dry.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

When I was in school, it was 'over-looked' always unless noise, crap not picked up and clean... as long as YOU are well liked, people usually enjoy the pet and mums the word :!:

Birds are ideal because they rest at sunset, as opposed to a sugar glider... you wouldnt make many friends that way. :lol:

Thats in the US, that is... cant speak of other countries.
~ Mikaela Sky

Craig

Post by Craig »

Mikaela wrote:
Birds are ideal because they rest at sunset, as opposed to a sugar glider... you wouldnt make many friends that way.

But, Gliders aren't very noisy unless they're mad. My daughter has a pair and the only time they get really noisy (besides warning barks) is when they get angry at being woke up during the day. Then, it's that scary crabbing noise that the cats even run from! Who woulda thought a tiny little furball like that could bellow such a sound!
Craig