Making one of the hardest decisions of my life

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Making one of the hardest decisions of my life

Post by kyria »

I am doing rather well at my Job. I have been offered fulltime work after the first 3 months of 32 hours over 5 days. So I will never get my one day a week off like I had originally thought I would. I have to take the full time, as permanent fulltime jobs with this kind of security do not come along every day in my area. This means that there is little time at home and only time for the two pet IRN's. The other birds are in the bird room, pretty much just fed, cleaned and thats it.

After realising I do not have the time to monitor the two breeding pairs (IRN and Quakers) and feeling guilty that they are stuck in a bird room all day, not allowed out to play due to hopes of breeding. I have decided to call my breeder friend around the corner (erik). He will be taking my pairs to his place to live out the rest of their lives in big lush aviaries, out in the fresh air and daylight.

I know that he will have far more luck breeding them than I ever will now and I feel happy that they will have full size outside aviaries to play and fly in.

Erik has promised me the first hand raised baby quaker, which will take my flock back up to three, which I think is a good size for me now that i am so busy working.

The budgie and lovebird will be going to my girlfriend who is more than happy to take them.

So I can visit them all whenever I want to, and see how they are doing.

I feel so sad, but I know they will be much happier.

Jordan and Pickle are the only ones that come out with me now anyway, in the morning while I have breakfast and at night when I get home. It will ease the load on me, having to prepare so much fresh food and cleaning a big bird room of cages and mess.

Mickey, kai, billy and bell, stella and jasper will have better care than I can offer them now.

Anyway I hope you all understand why I have to do this.

:(
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

nil

Post by nil »

i understand you very well
i have the same problem with you
i havent enough free time to spend with my birds, painting and my other hobbies :(

whats mean the word Kyria
in greek kyria is miss.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Kyria is a biblical name.. lady elect
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh Ang! It must of been very difficult for you, but I know you'd want the best for your birds. You've done well caring for them. Your so lucky to have a nice friends to give them the attention they need. So sorry you had to give them up. :( *Hugs*

Congrads on the full time position too. You go girl! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I understand sweetie, don't beat yourself up! I am struggling at the moment, have to find a happy medium with all the animals... just hard when I have a wee pup to train.. we will get there :wink:

Erik is a wonderful man and will take amazing care of your babies, and you can visit them all and give Kai a million kisses whenever you like. As long as lil Jasper and Stella have each other I am sure they'll be happy and it makes your flock MUCH more managable, makes sense.

Glad you're enjoying the job hun.
-Chamon-

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

:( yes it does, it's all hubby and I have been thinking about lately and we are sad about it but at the same time, we do feel comfortable with it. That way too, the really tame pets Jordan and Pickle can have all of our attention, kiely(our tiel) is Lauren's bird so she stays aswell, having Lauren to herself and the two love each other dearly, she looks after that bird so well.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Oh Angie, what a tough choice, and congrats on putting the birds first. I'm glad your new job is working out and you have found a way that everyone can be happy and healthy. Hugs!
MCS
laine

Post by laine »

What a brave and selfless decision you have made. I admire your decision. I know someone with one bird that hardly ever goes near it, let alone play or interact with it and they are home alot!!! You are showing how much you do love your birds by ensuring they will still be well looked after and happy. Congrats all round to you
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Thanks guys you are really making me feel better about this. Erik said he will call when they are settled in a little more and I will go around to visit.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

MonknSharona

Post by MonknSharona »

I haven't posted here in a while but I do lurk from time to time.

I just wanted to say that I completely admire your respect for your birds. Too many people are either too stubborn or don't care enough about their birds to put them first and make the decisions that best suit them. As pet owners, regardless of the pet, we need to be the ones to take the responsibility to give them what you need. What you have done is so admirable and shows your love for your birds more than anything else you could have possibly done for them! You've put your own feelings second to their well being.

I applaud you for doing what's best for your babies. And I'm glad you will be able to continue to visit them when they are settled. I know this was a super tough decision to make and I'm sorry you had to do it. You've done the best thing for them and that's what makes an ultimate pet owner. :)
Lots of snails, fish, cats, GSMD, and the fids: Paisley, Ruby, Posey,Lily, Weasley,Simon, Mork & Mindy

www.eversoledesign.com
www.thecreaturefeature.com
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/2 ... rsole.html
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

laine wrote:What a brave and selfless decision you have made. I admire your decision.... You are showing how much you do love your birds by ensuring they will still be well looked after and happy. Congrats all round to you

I could not have said it better myself - sometimes the right thing to do it not the easiest but you have ensured them a lifetime of freedom and happiness by being so brave-and for lack of a better word-giving to your babies.

best of luck!
julie

Post by julie »

Melissa wrote:
laine wrote:What a brave and selfless decision you have made. I admire your decision.... You are showing how much you do love your birds by ensuring they will still be well looked after and happy. Congrats all round to you

I could not have said it better myself - sometimes the right thing to do it not the easiest but you have ensured them a lifetime of freedom and happiness by being so brave-and for lack of a better word-giving to your babies.

best of luck!

Im glad you can still visit them.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Thank you all for your support and Julie I am glad I can aswell.

Jordan and pickle are loving the extra attention and the run of the room.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

A good mama does whats best for her fids, and thats what youre doing.

I not only understand what youre doing... I appreciate it and respect your maturity.
~ Mikaela Sky

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Everyone took the words out of my mouth! You did the right thing!
I know it was hard! :cry:

Best Wishes,

Imran
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ang...we do what is best for them...not us...so you are being generous to your birds.

Thinking no less of you...they will be happier

*hugs*

Dani
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

again thankyou guys ! I am sure when I go to visit they will be very happy, proably not even missing me :( which will actually be good.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Melika

Post by Melika »

A very brave decision. And a good one. I give you much credit for putting the birds and their needs first. It shows how much you respect them as living creatures. Pretty much what everyone else said; I understand your decision and respect you for it.

At least you know where they are going too, so you can visit. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay