I am a mum... again!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Datsun and Family

I am a mum... again!

Post by Datsun and Family »

... no I still don't have any human kids but we have just got our first puppy!! A 7 and a half week old Pitty pup, he is the sweetest, most precious boy and already showing respect for the birds! We have named him Spencer or Spence after Carlos Spencer an amazing NZ rugby player (the other half named him)

Here's a couple of piccies:
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww Chamon! Spence is the cutest lil pup! Those eyes are soooooo gorgeous! What a handsome lil boy! Aww just want to squishie cuddle him! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Datsun and Family

Hehe I know, he has been smothered to death today! His parents are amazing family dogs and though he is considered a "dangerous" breed I firmly believe its all in upbringing and socialization as with IRNs they are misunderstood :(
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

As he should be smothered in love! hehe
Oh I totally agree! My partners brother has a bull mastif.. its the most laziest laid back dog ever! But HUGE and scary looking!
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I wish I can own a puppy, look at those adorable face! They look soo innocent!
My uncle used to own one, I used to play "catch the ball" with it, but my uncle sold it cause he couldn't take care of it anymore.. I hope it will have a better live with its new owner.
Love the name spencer!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

So Precious! And a Kick **** Breed!

God Bless You Hun!
~ Mikaela Sky

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

in the UK you can get a jail sentance for owning a pitbull because a little 5 year old was killed by one a few months back...

but i aggree with you it is there upbringing half the as*holes in the UK own pitbulls to do dogfighting and that is a horrible thing to see or even hear about.

i wish you all the best with your dog but i must say to you if you ever see your dog get a agreesive side get it sold asap as it could be you or somone you love it will hurt....

just a warning not sayin dont have the dog but its not al lthe time dogs take to people jsut be extra carfull cause a pitbull dont let go once its got somthing/someone...

but i wish you the best in the future with your new puppy and i hope everything goes well with it :D
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Datsun and Family

Spence and I have already started training, he will be taught to be gentle and never bite along with other general commands.

I have decided if when he grows up, he shows real signs of aggression he will be put down.. no question. But from his temerament so far he is going to be awesome, sweet and loving.

Trust me we will never take risks when it comes to the safety of our family.
-Chamon-

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

pitbull's have problems around the age of 3 alot of people i know that have had them at the age of 3 they have gone off the rail and backed them into corners so just be carfull hun because this dog can be leathal thats all im sayin im not sayin your bad for getting the dog dont let it sound like that but i dont want to see you or any of your family get hurt

when these dogs tasted blood they wont stop till somone or somthing is dead.

thats why they use these in the uk for pitbull fights as they are easy to get fighting and when they are fighting they dont stop till the other dog is dead..

so please please be very carfull if it does ever back you or family member in a corner i know its not nice but hit it till its knocked out or it WILL attack.

so please be very very carfull hun
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I just want to grab his cute little fat cheeks and give him a smooch. What a sweet little face. You are braver than I though I must admit. Dogs I am very reserved about, ever since I had a run in with the aweful dog named Monty next door to my childhood home. Just going past the property to the shop with my bro's was like dive and run, fear factor stuff.

Anyway .. he looks adorable.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

Very cute 8) We got a new pup too, this is odie. One of our mates had to have his beautiful pitty put to sleep because they are illegal to own here :cry:
Datsun and Family

Odie is soooo cute!! That is awful that the existing Pittys had to be PTS... :cry:
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww Odie is too cute! That is terrible they had to PTS the Pitties. :(

Angie, I know what you mean. I had a terrible phobia of all dogs when I was younger. Couldn't take me anywhere near a dog. No real run ins with any but I guess it was just 'built' into me and I never had a childhood pet. My aunt had 2 dobermans and I will never forget how I would scream the house down when we went to visit. But, Just like with any fear. Taking slow little steps when encountering the canine kind got me through it and now I love dogs! Big dogs still scare me a little. But only when they jump up on me. :wink:
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

posted today in the news paper about the death of the 5 year old girl killed by a pitbull :

she was biten 72 time
torn apart
the dog maled her for 20 minutes before she died

a person said :

it is the owner not the dog....

police man said back to this :

pitbulls are breed to fight and to kill thats there only meaning.

so please be very carfull thats all i can cry out to you as these dogs are so powerfull....
after this dog killed this little kill 200 pitbull owners come forward with there dogs and they all proved violant and did attack.

they was mostly all drug dealers dogs and they used them for protection.

what happened to this little girl was sick and very said it was her uncles dog and had biten before he could of stopped this from happening.

its sick what some animals can do but they only know what they are bred to know.......be carfull please
Datsun and Family

Matty I understand your concern and love you for it. This dog is having SERIOUS obedience training and will never be allowed near any unknown people unsupervised. I am not ever going to let him out of my property without a lead and I am a responsible dog owner. He will absolutely be an exception to the rule. I know a few pitbulls who I would trust with my life and I cannot say that for most people let alone dogs.

Thanks again. Also remember the media is all about hype and cannot always be trusted for facts. My heart goes out to that child and her family but we know nothing of that dogs genetics (if he even was a pitty) or upbringing...

I promise to be 100% careful.
-Chamon-

julie

Post by julie »

I have been bitten by a dog before and still have deep scarring on my hand from it. I would still trust a pitbull before I would trust some other breeds of dogs. What we have to remember is that not every dog is the same and just because spencer is a pitty it doesnt automatically mean that he will attack people.Another thing to think about, some dogs absolutely suck at what they were originally bred for.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

im just sayingsome facts thats all a pitty has got a leathal bite thats all...

i wouldnt trust a pitbull for the reason on how many bite attacks this year have gone on but they have been dogs that are for pitbull fights i just want to make sure your safe thats all its an awfull situation to be in when a dog pins you in the corner i have had this done of a dog and had to hit it to get it away but if i didnt hit it, it would of attacked me and thats a family dog that was brought up for 10 years and all of a sudden turned on me so it shows how fast they can turn thats all im gettin at
Melika

Post by Melika »

What a beautiful puppy- congratulations! I hate to say it here but I love dogs more than birds. If I had to choose between my Geronimo (chow/shep/rottie X) or Hane (IRN), I would choose Geronimo without hesitation. Not that I don't love Hane, but he doesn't love me as much as Geronimo does. :D

And so, because I am a dog person...

In the States the most common breed registered for bites is the Labrador Retriever.

Why? Because so many people are fed the 'they're great for kids' line and they convince themselves the dog is self-trained. Now, perhaps labs aren't known for mauling or killing humans as some other breeds are. But lets take a moment to look at "aggressive breeds" and the people that own them.

Typical aggressive breeds list:
'Pit Bull' (a misnomer as the American Pit Bull Terrier is actually a specific breed; dogs considered to be 'pit bulls' by media, legislators, and insurance companies: American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, sometimes Bull Terriers and American Bulldogs)
Wolf-dog (formerly called wolf-hybrids but dogs have been genetically recatagorized as being a sub-species of the wolf and listed as Canis lupus familiaris)
Presa Canario
Argentine Dogo
Rottweiler
Akita
Doberman Pinscher
German Sheperd
Chow Chow
Boxer
Mastiff
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bernese Mountain Dog
Great Dane
Siberian Husky
Alaskan Malamute

What kind of person gets these dogs in general?
1. Those who want a fighting dog.
2. Those who want a dog for protection.
3. Those who want a big, impressive dog.
4. Those who didn't do research/impulse buyer.

A very, very small number might do research beyond the size and grooming requirements of the dog they're thinking of. (by now you may realize I have a very jaded and cynical view of many dog owners, part of this comes from working at a dog shelter)

Fighting dogs are taught to kill through a regimen of physical abuse, isolation, starvation, and baiting. Puppies that aren't large or aggressive are used as bait, as are small animals such as rabbits. While a puppy may be born with an aggressive tendency, it isn't automatic for it to kill- that has to be taught. You can teach a dog to be aggressive unintentionally; usually by not socializing your puppy properly and never giving it rules to follow as a lower rank in your family. There is no such thing as a genetic defect that causes a dog to 'turn' on you or others. Just bad training and bad supervision.

Protection dogs are taught to attack only on command and to release (when properly trained) also on command. Generally they are taught only to restrain a person, not kill. Ordering a trained dog to attack is considered assault with a deadly weapon here in the States. All dogs have a protection instinct. Even your teacup poodle and golden retriever. They protect their property and pack by alerting you to potential trouble- AKA barking. Some are inborn with a more powerful instinct, such as the Akita. But they only use physical protection when they feel there is real danger to you. It is the owners reponsibility to train the dog what is and isn't dangerous. In my book, these are the most dangerous dogs in the wrong person's hands. Many get these dogs and let the dog decide what danger means on his own. That is when you get a dog attacking the neighbor when ringing your doorbell.

Big, impressive dogs are obtained only for their looks by many. They brag about how big their dog will be full grown and never give thought to the fact this dog will be bigger and stronger than me, maybe I should train it now when it's little. Any dog stronger than you means you will be totally reliant upon mental domination when it is an adult. A strong mind and perfect consistancy in training is required. Very few dog people I know can handle these breeds.

If someone is getting a dog for any of the above reasons, he/she may very likely end up with a dog that could maul or even kill.

Now, for my favourite, the impulse buyer. This person went to the pet store for a guppy or was walking to the bus stop and comes home with a puppy. This person has no idea what the dog requires for feeding, much less good mental health and training. I can't be too mean, I know many who read this may have gotten their first dog this way and now you're great dog people- but you must agree, that's not the way to do it.

I've personally wrestled with all the so-called "pit" types and a Presa Canario. The Presa had no manners and at his full grown weight of 125lbs barrelled by me so I grabbed him by his hips and swung him back into his kennel. He also had a jumping problem. When a dog that big slams into you, you take notice. If he were allowed to continue being dominant over humans, there would be a problem in the future with aggression if anyone ever stood up to him. So I became his trainer and he got the rules every dog gets from me- no jumping (this applies to ALL dogs, chihuahuas too), no stepping on me, when I say move you move, no eating till I say so, I'll tell you to sit just for the fun of it at random times, I go through doors first, walks are for me- not you- and you're just tagging along beside me, etc. Basically, I'll treat a dog like- wonder of all wonders- a dog!
Our dogs are german shep/chow/rottie mix (three of the breeds considered 'dangerous'), australian shep, sheltie mix, and mini daschund. Would they attack someone who comes into our yard? They might. Every dog bites. I've known more aggressive chihuahuas than any other breed, one even tried to attack my dog. There's a yorkie I know that will run through it's invisible fence to attack the neighbor's corgi. Is that because they are "aggressive breeds"? Or is it just bad training? There was a small dog a few years ago that tore a chunk of ear off a baby. Was that aggression or just bad training?

Bottom line is- EVERY dog can bite or kill. Breed doesn't matter.

(edited to make it a little nicer. I was in a very cynical and bad mood when originally posted...)
Last edited by Melika on Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Datsun and Family

Thanks Melika, he is an American Pit Bull Terrier. You are right too many dogs with this general shape are labelled pitbulls and actually this is a term for the body shape and not any specific breed :roll:

"Now, for my favourite, the impulse buyer. This person went to the pet store for a guppy or was walking to the bus stop and comes home with a puppy. This person has no idea what the dog requires for feeding, much less good mental health and training. I can't be too mean, I know many who read this may have gotten their first dog this way and now you're great dog people- but you must agree, that's not the way to do it."
-This can be said for any animal, not only dogs, many of us obtained our IRNs the same way. I got Datsun without really researching him first, I regret that but thankfully we came out on top. With Spencer I know everything I need to know and he is already (4 days after bringing him home) showing fantastic progress and I have very high expectations of myself when it comes to his training.
-Chamon-

swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

I'm sorry, but I must disagree with everything matty said.

The american staffordshire bull terrier is SO misunderstood;

* An American Staffordshire Terrier named Stubby earned the rank of Sergeant and was the most decorated dog of World War I.

* As the breed moved to America the names Pitdog and Pitbull Terrier stuck. However, American breeders wanted an animal heavier than the British breed, hence the name American Staffordshire Terrier.

* The roots of the American Staffordshire Terrier can be traced through early Mastiff warriors, to the original Bulldogs in England, which were used in the bloody sport of bull baiting.

* The American Staffordshire Terrier was accepted in 1936 for registration in the American Kennel Club stud book as Staffordshire Terriers.

* American Staffordshire Terriers are intelligent and excellent guardians.

* It is widely accepted that this breed evolved in part from the old "Bulldogue" brought over from the Staffordshire region of England.

Now, I'm NOT a pitty owner, but I DO own a dangerous dog, about 2 months ago a child was mauled by one of my 'types'

Hes a full bred Akita. Big, intimidating, and the BEST dog I have EVER seen! I've worked for a dog breeder at her kennel, at an animal shelter, and as a dog groomer. Wanna know what bit the most? those little dogs. NEVER by a 'pitbull' Misinformation about this breed is VERY construed, because when they decide to attack, they do. The crud about the 'once they taste blood' is just that-crud. DOGS EAT MEAT. ALL CANINES EAT MEAT. THEY AREN'T GOING TO KILL BECAUSE THEY TASTED BLOOD!!! they kill because people train them to fight, chain them up in basements, and don't care for them!

why I personally got a big, scary dog? Well, other than how impressive they look, and the thick fur, and the impressiveness of their character.. I can't really say much more. I put a down payment on him in January, got him in August, he was born june 23rd 2006. And hes my baby. I did a LOT of research, and for awhile I was kinda shaky when I realized what I got myself into after the down payment. But, after the 8 hour drive one way to get him...
100% worth it. its all in the teaching and breeder, prior socialization techniques, and leaving the pups with the parents til they are7 weeks old. NOT 6... preferably 8-9 weeks.

from http://bullyspot.blogspot.com/

Many people don't realize the the American pit bull terrier is the only breed that has been on the cover of Life for three issues.

The pit bull was, also, the poster image for the U.S. during the 1900's. The American pit bull was the image people saw on various war posters, representing the country's strength and dignity.

Sergeant Stubby, has been a poster dog for the pit bull breed for years, but many people have NO clue who he is. Stubby is the most decorated dog in military history, much less the only dog promoted to sergeant. He was in combat during WW1 with John Robert Conroy, who snuck him aboard the USS Minesota after finding him on the Yale campus. Stubby fought beside the 102nd Infantry of the 26th Yankee Division in the trenches of France. He fought for 18 months and through 17 battles, even being wounded in his front leg. After receiving proper care, like a brave soldier, Stubby returned to the battle field to warn his fellow soldiers of gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in "No Man's Land," and being a 'listen out' instead of a look out to warn his men of incoming artillery. Stubby was solely responsible for capturing a German spy when at Argonne. When returning home, Stubby met with three presidents- Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, Warren G. Harding. Stubby was made a life member of the American Legion, the Red Cross, and the YMCA. Sergeant Stubby died on March 16, 1926, a hero.

Bud was the first dog to travel cross country (1903).

Pit Bulls in Movies:
# Petey from the Little Racals

# Blue Walter's Blitz from Cheaper By the Dozen

Other Famous Pit Bulls
# Popsicle- Number 1 US customs dog. Popsicle was found in a freezer during a drug raid.
# RCA- Certified hearing dog in Alaska
Tahoe, Cheyenne, and Dakota- Search and rescue dogs in Sacramento; working none stop at the World Trade Center and Pentagon after 9/11

and heres MY dangerous dog, with my beagle/chow mix (who, may I say, is much more unsteady than the purebred aggressive dog!)
julie

Post by julie »

swanwillow can we see a pic of your akita by himself please.
Last edited by julie on Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun and Family

Beeeeeautiful Akita!! and your beaglexchow looks like a real mischief maker!
-Chamon-

swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

sure, IF I can find one!

heres some oldies, and some goodies
yes, he is kept chained, I'd LOVE to get a fence, its in the works. invisible fences don't work on these types usually, just for the fact that they are very high-pain tolerant.
He's also a crappy protection dog, crappy guard dog.. gah! Its all cause his chain is a 40' long one, and he can easily go visit everyone that goes to the shop. He'll bark if somethings wrong, if theres a strange dog, or if someones on the property acting suspicious. Would he bite? I honestly don't know. MAYBE. Hes trained to not jump-start young with that! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER let a dog jump up as a puppy, cause you think its cute. Imagine a puppy, yup, 10 lbs of fluff. That ten pounds turns into a hundred pound monster, and its not so cute anymore! Akitas are also known for their dog aggression. He was properly socialized, taken out and about, and now I can semi-trust him around most dogs. I do NOT trust him around un-socialized other dogs; if they are unsteady, it makes him unsteady.
I DID get him cause he looks scary, and hes an impressive size. Hes somewhere around 90 lbs right now. Maybe up around a hundred. Do I trust him with children? ABSOLUTELY! I was told to not let my children be around him??? didn't make ANY sense. especially as a puppy; if hes not around children, then how would he learn how to behave around children? I MUST stress proper socialization. If theres any outside gatherings, bring your puppy! lots of people, commotion, stress... I brought mine out to one, spread the word about Akitas needing proper socialization skills, why they aren't for everyone, etc. People WANTED one, until I said 'people and dog un-friendly, thats why hes here, to get used to it' Most people just can't handle a dog thats aggressive to people and dogs if they aren't properly trained and socialized
sorry for the junk in the background-we live at a carshop/blacktopping/weird side jobs place, which is good for the FIDs, since my fiancee is home while I'm at work. this was July
me, my baby, and Lotus in Nov/Dec 2006
Matthew and Lotus, last winter, probably once again nov/dec
probably a month ago, maybe a month and a half-what he looks like now, he gained a LOT of beef in the past 2 months!
Last edited by swanwillow on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
julie

Post by julie »

Cool thanks, i had never seen a white one before :shock: Im guessing they shed a fair bit.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

twice a year, whole blown coat. hes got this steady shedding year round which isn't TOO bad, but when he blows his coat.. this spring, it looked like christmas! I actually held him down and vacuumed him! White is a terrible color, specially living where I do; dirt road, black dirt driveway=yellow dog!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh what a gorgeous dog! :D
birdymomma

Post by birdymomma »

well everyone here has stated beautifully what great dogs pits are so i won't add BUT i do need to show ours off!!!~Image
Datsun and Family

And what a cutie he is!! Whats his name? I love red pits!
-Chamon-

birdymomma

Post by birdymomma »

her name is Athena....she's close to a year old
Datsun and Family

Ooops, Athena is Beautiful!!
-Chamon-

julie

Post by julie »

Im trying to talk Aaron into letting me get a great dane puppy, mums greatdane had 15 pups yesterday :shock:
Melika

Post by Melika »

its all in the teaching and breeder, prior socialization techniques, and leaving the pups with the parents til they are7 weeks old. NOT 6... preferably 8-9 weeks.

Here in FL, by law puppies must be 8weeks or older to be adopted or sold. Which is awesome, since they need to be at least that old to be sure they are properly weaned. The papers a very strict about it and won't put ads for pups to be sold younger, so I give them kudos (at least in my area).

On the bad side, many pups are turned into the pound or animal shelters younger than 8 weeks. And at kill shelters, if no one can foster, they are put down. The shelter just can't hold them until they're ready for spay/neuter and adoption. Many people hate the shelter's way of dealing with excess dogs- but what else can they do? After working on that side of it (not for a kill shelter but one that rescued dogs from them), I understand. In a local county over 60,000 dogs end up in Animal Services and 30,000 are put to sleep each year. But the most astounding thing is that roughly 30,000 out of the 60,000 (that's HALF) every year are owner surrenders. And these are purebred dogs as well as mutts. Two of our dogs are purebred and both from shelters. Nearly 40% of the dogs we had in our shelter were purebred or very close to it. People think they can breed their purebreds and the pups will always have a good home. That may be so- but what about their puppies? And the puppies' puppies? You can't assume they won't end up on the kill slab in Animal Services. It happens all the time. Think twice, three times- as many times as mentally possible before breeding. If you aren't a breeder and your reason for breeding does not include improving the breed- then please don't. People are stupid, don't let them kill the dogs you spent so much time raising.

I'm not against breeding. I just think it should be done for the right reasons. And I like mutts, purebreds started out as mutts. These days a few of our purebreds would benefit from some new blood (hybrid vigor). I'm not a purebred purist by a long shot.

Wow. I just had to get that out of my system. *cough* sorry...

What a beautiful akita and pit! Now those are dogs I trust.

Here's a cool article on Akita behavior- what it should be and how to make it so.
Beware: it's a long read...
http://www.tamarlane.com/akitatemp.htm

I haven't even finished reading it yet but so far my mind runs parallel to the author.

The Akita is one of my favourite breeds and shall be my next dog. Though, there is an akita at a local rescue that calls to me. But perhaps four dogs right now in the home is enough. I'll wait until my baby is ready to go. He's eleven now but in good health so I probably won't be getting an Akita soon, lol. ^_^

SO- how's the pup?!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

my parents have a pitty he is soo gorgeous but seriously dumb he'd never hurt a person he is scared of rain :lol: he is territorial towards other dogs he used to fight with my german shepard but dogs will be dogs. once when it was flooding our backyard filled up with water and i had to carry jake through the puddles cause he sat there whimpering and whining scared of the water. do anyone elses pittys rub their buts up peoples legs jake does it all the time had to get him de sexed as its a 50000 fine in australia have to have 6ft fences and he has to be muzzled when walking i love them he has never bitten anyone yet the next door neighbours cattle diogs have attacked a few people
Datsun and Family

Spencer is amazing, picks things up so quickly!! I have more pictures I should load them tomorrow. I love this dog, he is playful, mischevious and terribly cute!! Thanks for asking Melika, good to see you around more!
-Chamon-

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

my question is:
what does dats think of the furry thing with all those teeth?
Adam and Dude
Melika

Post by Melika »

LOL, thanks for noticing. My computer was dead for two years. Severe internet withdrawl which has led to me now online anytime I have free. My comp is finally fixed and online again. I really missed ya'll here! :cry:

Can't wait to see the pictures- pit puppies are too cute. And mischevious little buggers too!

As for an IRNs reaction to dogs? Hane and Tsume chase the dogs and steal their bones... 8)
The hard part is teaching the dogs how to react properly to birds biting their feet! We teach them to run, run away...
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

Melika wrote:What a beautiful akita and pit! Now those are dogs I trust.

Here's a cool article on Akita behavior- what it should be and how to make it so.
Beware: it's a long read...
http://www.tamarlane.com/akitatemp.htm

I haven't even finished reading it yet but so far my mind runs parallel to the author.

The Akita is one of my favourite breeds and shall be my next dog. Though, there is an akita at a local rescue that calls to me. But perhaps four dogs right now in the home is enough. I'll wait until my baby is ready to go. He's eleven now but in good health so I probably won't be getting an Akita soon, lol. ^_^

SO- how's the pup?!

I have that printed out, and live by it! Great article. I just wish I could get mine to STOP RUNNING. This last time, he decided that he wouldn't come up to me for 48 hours. Oh, he'd come back into the yard, hang out.. just wouldn't come home.
:twisted: Kids kids kids. Least, if I have the cute little dog, he'll come home.
And I must say that the part about kids is GREAT. I was on a dog behavior yahoo group, and was told to keep little kids away from dogs, that its too dangerous, and that if you let a kid 'pick on' a dog like I let my son that it would just cause a bite from a fearful dog..

Hmm.. it sounded SO wrong.. if you don't socialize the dog, then it won't learn to not react. maybe thats the wrong wording; it teaches them HOW to react, and that to ignore the irritation, it eventually looses interest and goes away; specially when mommy is yelling 'Matthew! NO!' Lotus does NOT react if the baby is doing anything.. well, except trying to ride him. Matthew always ends up on the floor laughing when that happens...
Melika

Post by Melika »

I used to ride my first dog, Skippy. He was a poorly bred golden retriever but a great dog. When I got too heavy for him I stopped and started training him to jump hurdles and dig on command (mom wasn't happy about that one but I wanted my own rescue dog, lol).

And Geronimo took eight years to become trustworthy offleash. And even then he's still got that little streak of independence so I walk with a leash around my neck no matter what.

I used to take Skippy out to the alley when I threw out the trash but one time he didn't come when called so I went inside, closed the gate behind me and started loving up on our other dog. Boy, did he ever get jealous! He was whining and barking up a storm before I finally let him back in. He always came when called after that.

When I got Geronimo (from SPCA, I was eleven, he was one) I tried the same thing. He walked over to the gate, noticed it was closed, looked at me and promptly turned and walked away. He was king of the self-walks. Still is if I let him.

So never give up!

I can't believe so many don't teach that proper socialization is the key. It gets me all up in a tizzy when people say a breed is this way or that way. A dog is a dog and must obey me. I set the rules.

And you know, some bird people are like that too? They read somewhere that african greys, poicephalus, or pionus don't like new things or too many people or loud noises so they shelter their little birds and end up with birds who don't like new things or too many people or loud noises. Go figure. :roll:
Same with IRNs, when people read they aren't good pets and then stick their finger through the bars of a breeder cage and figure they were bitten so must be bad pets. It's sad.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

I've read alot on how they can be flighty if not handled often.. but now we're going WAY OT.

But, WE NEED MORE PICTURES of your new baby!
Rico's Mom

Post by Rico's Mom »

awwww now he is cute :D
Datsun and Family

Here he is....

And playing with my cat Tom:

Spence is 12 weeks on Monday and he is still perfect.
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh Chamon! What a precious lil face! :D
Melika

Post by Melika »

He's even more adorable now! He looks very happy and well rounded (not scared, playful, a slight conceited air about him). And you've taken good pictures too- captured the moments. :D
kylie

Post by kylie »

He is simply gorgeous. I love the one stalking the cat and the one laid out flat on his belly. Good luck with him, I am sure he will give you years of pleasure like our fids already do.
Kylie