Introducing a new friend

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

boudine

Introducing a new friend

Post by boudine »

Hi there, I have a 1 year old male indian ringneck. He's hand reared and very tame and affectionate. We are thinking about getting him a friend or girlfriend so he has company when we are out. Not particularly for breeding, just for companionship. Does anyone have some advice on how to go about doing this? What would be the appropriate age and how should we introduce them? Should we get a similar color or will it not matter? What about getting him a friend of a different species like a budgie?
MissK

Re: Introducing a new friend

Post by MissK »

My male had a female Budgie for companion, and he liked her well until I brought home another male Ringneck. It was love at first sight. I thought the Budgie was a suitable companion until I saw how he simply stepped into another dimension with the other Ringneck. It matters a lot how many Ringnecks your lifestyle can support, because multiples are no small thing, but I'm convinced they deserve the company of their own kind.
-MissK
Wessel Gordon

Re: Introducing a new friend

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Boudine

If you get another ringneck a good idea will be to get another male to avoid breeding and the hormones/territorial behavior that goes with it.

As for housing it with another species: I have housed Ringnecks with cockatiels and Sun Conures without any problems. The main thing to consider is how compatible the two potential co-inhabitants are.