very new to ringnecks laying eggs.

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

kim ueckermann

very new to ringnecks laying eggs.

Post by kim ueckermann »

Hi all.

I am very new to the whole "ringneck laying eggs".
I have had blinky for about 2 years, and coco almost a year.
They are rescue birds, and they come from terrible back grounds, so I thought this counted against them as far as it come to making babies.

Anyway, they started showing signs of mating, so I got them everything they needed to do so.
Well, it worked, to my surprise ofcourse.
It has been 6 days, and she has 3 eggs. She is always in her nesting box, today more than any of the other 6 days. I am constantly checking up on her. She seems to be doing fine, and I suspect she might lay one more egg.my question. Is, plus minus how long before they hatch? How do I know if they are fertile. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure that these eggs hatch? Please if anyone has some more info and tips for me, I'd realy appreciate it.
Regards
Kim
Wessel Gordon

Re: very new to ringnecks laying eggs.

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Kim,

It takes roughly 22 days after the hen started incubating the eggs till the first one hatches. Once they start hatching they should hatch roughly 2 days apart.

You will notice when the hen starts to incubate the eggs when she starts spending 99.99% of her time in the nest and only leaving to eat and stretch her legs. During this period I will advise you to disturb her as little as possible since too many disturbances might cause her to abandon the eggs. I know how exciting it is to have eggs and how impatient one gets waiting for them to hatch but it's in the breeding pair and the eggs' interest that you allow nature to take it's course during this time.

As for how to check if the eggs are fertile: I am not sure but other breeders might be able to assist you with that.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Of special note, especially for the underprepared, just because the birds have eggs doesn't mean you have to allow the eggs to hatch.
-MissK
kim ueckermann

Post by kim ueckermann »

UNDERPREPARED???

Please MissK, feel free to share your knowledge?

This is why I have asked for advice.

Thank you.
kim ueckermann

Post by kim ueckermann »

Thank you Wessel Gordon for your reply, I appreciate the tips and info you have shared.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Kim

I think what MissK means is: do you have any experience with breeding birds of any kind?

As for the unprepared consider some of the following:

1) Do you have a qualified, experienced avian vet that you can call in the event of an emergency such as when the hen becomes eggbound? I never had it happen but from what I hear it's always fatal if not treated immediately.

2) Do you have at least telephone contact with an experienced IRN breeder you can call in the event of any questions? True enough, you have access to this forum, but sometimes you might need a quicker answer than waiting for another member to login and reply to your post. If you intend on breeding long into the future and you know an experienced IRN breeder in your area make sure he becomes your best friend for life (quick hint about that: bribery works as well on humans as on IRNS :evil: )

3) Do you have experience with raising baby birds of any kind what so ever?

4) Are you willing, able and have the time to hand-rear any of the babies yourself if the hen refuses to feed them or if they have to removed from her for any other reason? My ''breeding hen'' has the nasty habit of hatching her eggs faithfully but not feeding her offspring - in the last two years alone I lost 5 chicks (2 died in the nest last year and 1 this year and I lost 2 babies that I was trying to handrear). Losing a chick is a devastating feeling...are you mentally prepared for this possibility? Do you have the patience to feed something that's as long as two-thirds of your thumb and weigh a few grams every two hours day and night for as long as it takes?

5) Do you have the necessary equipment (incubator, hand-rearing formula, spoons, syringes etc etc) handy if you have to intervene in the rearing process?

6) Are you willing to keep the offspring if you do not find a suitable home for them? There is a huge difference between ''a home'' and a ''suitable home'' so I beg you to not simply dump the offspring at the nearest petstore that sells anything that breaths. As their breeder it is your responsibility to ensure they have a suitable home and if you can not ensure that it's best not to consider breeding in the first place.

7) Are you prepared for a possible change in the relationship between you and your birds? How will you cope with it if your once sweet birds suddenly start acting aggressive towards you when they have chicks and survival instinct tells the parents to protect the babies against the ''intruder''?

I am sorry if any of my remarks seems harsh but for the sake of your birds it's best that you consider honestly and carefully your motivations for letting them breed.

Wessel
kim ueckermann

Post by kim ueckermann »

Thank you again for your reply.

This is the exacr reason why I have used this forum, so that I can get all the info I need.

I am not planning on breeding them to sell. This is the first time they have laid eggs, like I said in my original post, I never thought they would want to mate, because of their terrible back grounds.

I do know someone who is a breeder, and has been doing so for many years, so help is on hand, I just haven't asked any info from him as yet.

As for all the things I need incase something goes wrong, the breader I know would be able to help if it comes to that.

Coco, my male, is old, so I would like one or two of his offspring.

I have thought about what will happen next breeding season, and I have decided not to give them what they need to breed, even if I have. To seperate them for that little while. I take very good care of my birds, as I said they are rescue birds, and used to live in terrible conditions.

I appreciate your concern and the tips.
I will be arranging the necc care for incase the mommy won't want to raise them.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I'm not convinced separating them will be the solution to stop them from breeding. Yes, they might not breed because of the separation but if they are very bonded to each other separating them might lead to other, even worse problems such as screaming and/or feather plucking.

My suggestion for next season would be to not give them what they need to breed (nestbox etc) but if the hen is very focused on that she will find a place to lay her eggs. Your best solution in that case is to give her what she needs to lay her eggs but to get a few dummy eggs and to take out her eggs and replace them with dummies. If you simply remove the eggs she might keep on laying more and more to complete her clutch and ultimately that's going to interfere with her health. I'm not sure where to get dummy eggs but you should be able to Google it.

Wessel
MissK

Post by MissK »

I appreciate and support Wessel's thorough presentation of points to consider before breeding birds. I feel breeding should be undertaken only after a good bit of consideration, if at all.

However, my comment should be taken at face value, simply pointing out a fact that is often overlooked.
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

To check if eggs are fertile, hold them up with a bright light behind them, if you see a dot, they are fertile, because the first thing to develop is the heart,
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks for the compliment, MissK.

I was simply pointing what I've learned on the forum and what I've learned by trail and error.
valcoff

Post by valcoff »

Sanjays mummi is right. But when you candle the egg be in a darkish room. Cup the torch in the hand and hold the egg over the torch. That concentrates the light on the egg itself. You need to wait for almost a week before you see a great difference. It is the same for all eggs and I have often candled goose, duck and chook eggs to find out the fertility of the egg.
Good luck on your breeding venture.